A huge thank-you for *NOT* having random combat triggers on the world map

If you've played Final Fantasy I-IX or other JRPGs, you know what I'm talking about... :ermm:

You're walking along...

WHOOSH-WHOOSH!!!!!!!!

Ambush!

I mean, a good player grits their teeth and uses it to level up, but still...I came to loathe that sound.

This game seems to have based world map random encounters on Betrayal at Krondor: well-written text interactions. I never get tired of them, even if I wish there was more variety.

So a huge shout-out to the devs for this decision. Please stick to it for the future! :grin:

• Like 11

I don't recall in so called "Western RPG's" have random encounters.

But yeah i'm not a big fan of them, I like FF7,8,9,10 but random encounters are not a good game mechanic. 

Square knew this, in SaGa Frontier 2 they did away with it but didn't in any FF games.

Persona 5 doesn't, but you kind of have to fight everything.

nowt

Fallout 1 and 2 had plenty random encounters. Didn't the second expansion for NWN2 have them? I only played the 1st NWN2 expansion.

I actually wouldn't mind them, at least you can save on the main map so if something goes wrong you aren't backtracking too far. Most game tend to put too many in, however.

• Like 3

I guess I'm odd for liking random encounters. They keep you guessing and a surprising challenge is always fun. I enjoyed all the random things that could happen when I'm travelling around Neketaka. I'm also seriously disappointed in the lack of Sea Monsters. There's even a book describing 4 different scary Sea Monsters from Deadfire in the first Pillars game and none of them can randomly attack you while sailing... sad. 

I understand they didn't reach their Sea Monsters stretch goal but that shouldn't have been a stretch goal to begin with. That should've been included in the base game. Hopefully it'll be added in later as DLC.

• Like 3

Oh God yes. I cannot imagine how tedious Pillars II might have been if walking two steps meant having to deal with Xaurips or Ugly the Bandit every single encounter. 

• Like 3

Yes! We have no bananas.

I kinda wish there was more encounters while moving across the multi-district cities (whatever they are "random" or pre-made). There are some, but they are all tied to quests, instead of one-off meeting while traveling the streets.

• Like 4

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I could use some random encounters. Everything feels a bit too much “under control”. An ambush here and there would be welcome. There are some in Neketaka, but I would like to see more. Wishing we would reach that sea monster stretch goal.

• Like 4

There weren't any random encounters or respawn in the first game either, I didn't expect it here.

I wouldn't be upset about it though, except that combat is super easy right now on every difficulty. Even more so since you can Empower your entire team's first round, and rest with no penalty. If they made TIME a resource, that would make people not just spawn empowered abilities.

• Like 1

I kinda wish there was more encounters while moving across the multi-district cities (whatever they are "random" or pre-made). There are some, but they are all tied to quests, instead of one-off meeting while traveling the streets.

I could use some random encounters. Everything feels a bit too much “under control”. An ambush here and there would be welcome. There are some in Neketaka, but I would like to see more. Wishing we would reach that sea monster stretch goal.

^This is my stance on this as well. It would be great if we had a bit more of these, and I wouldn't mind something along those lines when exploring the relatively blank islands overland-wise.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

if they are well done maybe..

but urgh.....you guys should play Septerra Core . Horrible ! like final fantasy...take a step..you fight..on and on . But the story was mind blowing and worth the headech...

and beside , the sailing and getting attacked..is kinda like random encounter . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I like the ones that are tied to quests. It is more personal - this group was looking for you - yes, you. They aren't just mugging all of the passers by (except that group in the gullet who runs away if you say pretty much anything to them - also a fun encounter).

YMMV, of course.

• Like 1

I was looking at the unique on the wiki and there is at least one random encounter while travelling in the city (a girl attacked by Skuldr and cave grub). Anyone ever triggered it?

I was looking at the unique on the wiki and there is at least one random encounter while travelling in the city (a girl attacked by Skuldr and cave grub). Anyone ever triggered it?

I did...

she give you a sword . 

There is also another one with brigand burning houses and you can chase them .

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I did...

she give you a sword . 

There is also another one with brigand burning houses and you can chase them .

i actually got both. i do wish there were more of those little tid-bits. i've also killed a few of those spiney shark deals out at sea too. 

what i'd like is a few randomly spawned pirate ships or treasure ships to hunt every so often. for us pirate hunters/privateers. after, what thirty or so naval engagements there don't seem to be any more pirates left. *sigh*

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

i actually got both. i do wish there were more of those little tid-bits. i've also killed a few of those spiney shark deals out at sea too. 

what i'd like is a few randomly spawned pirate ships or treasure ships to hunt every so often. for us pirate hunters/privateers. after, what thirty or so naval engagements there don't seem to be any more pirates left. *sigh*

They're all hiding from you.   :aiee:  They know it won't end well for them. :skull:

• Like 1

Appreciate the responses, good points on both sides.

To clarify, these are some of the attributes of the random combat encounters I had in mind:

- introduction of more loading screens (world map to combat arena, then back to world map, this was a problem in NWN2: SoZ)

- unavoidable (no option to sneak/bribe/negotiate out, say in a world map text interaction)

- boring and unoriginal (e.g. xaurips and bandits, as Big Ben mentioned; probably langufath on some islands)

I certainly have no problem with the random ship crew interactions. Quite the opposite, as I mentioned:

This game seems to have based world map random encounters on Betrayal at Krondor: well-written text interactions. I never get tired of them, even if I wish there was more variety.

I would love to see more ship crew text interactions, like in Oregon Trail and Banner Saga!

I also loved the text-based encounters when changing districts in Neketaka.

I actually think this is something PoE 1 and 2 missed. It made resting/backtracking to inns trivial in the first game, and was removed entirely in the second. But if there was a real danger to traveling in a tired/weakened state, it would make management of party and camping supplies a lot more important.

I think faced at least seven random encounters in Nekataka

1. Well full of oozes

2. Laethärn wanting to talk about Eothas

3. Pirates selling stuff and then giving it to me free

4. Somebody burning building

5. Tunnel on my path was collapsed

6. Skuldr attacking a girl

7. Arrogant noble who lost his purse to my pocket

• Like 1

Just put visible encounters like Chrono trigger or the recent ni no kuni 2.

(Hi autocorrect, it's "ni no kuni", not "no no kuni")

It has been a thing for many years.

And they should still be counted as random encounters, given that they are randomly generated using predefined mob-combination sets.

Juking random mobs on the world map has been fun to me across several games.

Edited by shadowbunker

I think faced at least seven random encounters in Nekataka

1. Well full of oozes

2. Laethärn wanting to talk about Eothas

3. Pirates selling stuff and then giving it to me free

4. Somebody burning building

5. Tunnel on my path was collapsed

6. Skuldr attacking a girl

7. Arrogant noble who lost his purse to my pocket

How long have you been playing?

I got none of that. Well except Laethärn, but that's tied to a main quest. In 31 hours...and most of these hours were in Neketaka.

Edited by morhilane

BG and BG2 had them when travelling between maps. In BG2 there were a couple that led to actual content (slavers and harpers iirc) but the rest were just pointless distractions.

EDIT: a reminder: "you have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself".

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

BG and BG2 had them when travelling between maps. In BG2 there were a couple that led to actual content (slavers and harpers iirc) but the rest were just pointless distractions.

Literally just about to post this - I can still hear it in my head.

• Like 1

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

Literally just about to post this - I can still hear it in my head.

You're not the only one.

Good times.

• Like 1