Bug with the Boderos and Valaria House Holds?

Tawmis

Question

I probably got the spelling of the names wrong; but the two houses in Queen's Berth.

I was going back and forth (trying to do the peaceful thing) - told Boderos about the Valaria's wanting to get to their vault. Went back to the Valaria to warn them that they know about their plan. Dad yells at his son. Dad then says tell Valaria to come to my house, I will not fall for no trap. I go to Valaria - and she says, "You don't think we have spies?" And turns aggressive. (Not sure why). Forced to kill her. Go down to the vault, forced to kill the captain. Go back to the Boderos and they tell me to kill Valaria. And I'm like, "Um...."

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

I'm not sure if I had the same exact problem, but the quest was either poorly written or there were bugs relating to turning the Bardattos hostile. I couldn't set up the meeting either (maybe you aren't supposed to reveal the planned robbery of the vault?)

Anyway, the quest is definitely buggy. I had to slaughter the Bardattos but the quest won't register as completed.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I had the same exact problem, but the quest was either poorly written or there were bugs relating to turning the Bardattos hostile. I couldn't set up the meeting either (maybe you aren't supposed to reveal the planned robbery of the vault?)

Anyway, the quest is definitely buggy. I had to slaughter the Bardattos but the quest won't register as completed.

I thought the same thing - that because I had mentioned the vault thing... so I restored, redid the whole thing - and she still turned aggressive. So since I wanted to side with the Bardattos, I figured there's apparently no way to actually make this a peaceful ending - and ended up completing the quests for her - and letting the Val family go for the vault and ambush the Val family member there - then go to their house and slaughter them after. Le Sigh.

I am moving on past it, but yes - it's either poorly written (my sole complaint about the game so far!) or buggy.

• Like 2

This is how the peace option is supposed to work:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/Family_Pride

Interesting. I had my Diplomacy at 8 when I started this quest ... and was never able to convince her.

Anyone else able to resolve this quest peacefully? That link makes it look way too easy... and it didn't seem to work out no matter what I tried.

I had to look it up at YT to solve it peacefully. Find that way not very intuitive.

In my opinion there has to be a fix for the order of decision you could make.

Same thing on other spots to, so i found Hasogo earlier and travelled later to the queen and i had to admit, that i found the island but spared the attacker.

But the attackers killed me in the first place. Maybe i lost an entire quest by that logic...

• Like 1

I probably got the spelling of the names wrong; but the two houses in Queen's Berth.

I was going back and forth (trying to do the peaceful thing) - told Boderos about the Valaria's wanting to get to their vault. Went back to the Valaria to warn them that they know about their plan. Dad yells at his son. Dad then says tell Valaria to come to my house, I will not fall for no trap. I go to Valaria - and she says, "You don't think we have spies?" And turns aggressive. (Not sure why). Forced to kill her. Go down to the vault, forced to kill the captain. Go back to the Boderos and they tell me to kill Valaria. And I'm like, "Um...."

This isn't a bug you played the encounter wrong. To resolve it peacefully you do not warn the Valeria, I forget the exact path but there is an option to encourage a meeting while talking to the Valeria elder. You go back to the other house then tell her they want to meet. There are a couple of back and forths. Why do you think they wouldn't act hostile if they knew you betrayed their trust? She specifically tells you when you leave to not let them find out about her hiring you to spy on them.

Btw, you also have to mediate the meeting between the two once you set it up. And there are several different outcomes here as well (some of which are only available with certain dispositions or skill checks)

Edited by Excerpt
  • Like 1

This is how the peace option is supposed to work:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire/Family_Pride

Interesting. I had my Diplomacy at 8 when I started this quest ... and was never able to convince her.

Anyone else able to resolve this quest peacefully? That link makes it look way too easy... and it didn't seem to work out no matter what I tried.

Yes, I resolved peacefully on the first try. The key to resolving any conflict peacefully in Deadfire is to not do anything that the character's personality will be specifically peeved by. Like I said above, this is directly indicated in this instance in the first conversation with the Bardettos matriarch (e.g. "Don't let them find out we are behind this"). 

Edited by Excerpt
  • Like 1

This isn't a bug you played the encounter wrong. To resolve it peacefully you do not warn the Valaria, I forget the exact path but there is an option to encourage a meeting while talking to the Valarian elder. You go back to the other house then tell her they want to meet. There are a couple of back and forths. Why do you think they wouldn't act hostile if they knew you betrayed their trust? She specifically tells you when you leave to not let them find out about her hiring you to spy on them.

See the 4th post in this thread where I said:

I thought the same thing that because I had mentioned the vault thing... so I restored, redid the whole thing - and she still turned aggressive. So since I wanted to side with the Bardattos, I figured there's apparently no way to actually make this a peaceful ending - and ended up completing the quests for her - and letting the Val family go for the vault and ambush the Val family member there - then go to their house and slaughter them after. Le Sigh.

I am moving on past it, but yes - it's either poorly written (my sole complaint about the game so far!) or buggy.

This isn't a bug you played the encounter wrong. To resolve it peacefully you do not warn the Valaria, I forget the exact path but there is an option to encourage a meeting while talking to the Valarian elder. You go back to the other house then tell her they want to meet. There are a couple of back and forths. Why do you think they wouldn't act hostile if they knew you betrayed their trust? She specifically tells you when you leave to not let them find out about her hiring you to spy on them.

See the 4th post in this thread where I said:

I thought the same thing that because I had mentioned the vault thing... so I restored, redid the whole thing - and she still turned aggressive. So since I wanted to side with the Bardattos, I figured there's apparently no way to actually make this a peaceful ending - and ended up completing the quests for her - and letting the Val family go for the vault and ambush the Val family member there - then go to their house and slaughter them after. Le Sigh.

It's not poorly written lol. Are you saying that you should be able to directly betray her trust by doing the thing she specifically tells you not to do and still resolve peacefully? That makes no sense from a diplomatic standpoint.

This is actually one of the better written dialogue quests in the game, there are several different outcomes all of which are peaceful.

• Like 1

It's not poorly written lol. Are you saying that you should be able to directly betray her trust by doing the thing she specifically tells you not to do and still resolve peacefully? That makes no sense from a diplomatic standpoint.

This is actually one of the better written dialogue quests in the game, there are several different outcomes all of which are peaceful.

LOL! No - but having played POE (the first 1) to 100% complete and was able to always settle the things that COULD be settled peacefully... It's odd that I tried this quest three times total, and could not figure out how to get this to resolve peacefully for all. I mean there's clearly a way to do it - and that link shows it - which I didn't look it up (I usually do that on a second play through to see what I missed) when I initially played (and tried, three times).

And considering how much I love the story and the world (my obsession of getting POE1 100%) should let you know I am not skimming the text. I am devouring it and taking it all into my brain.

Edited by Tawmis

LOL! No - but having played POE (the first 1) to 100% complete and was able to always settle the things that COULD be settled peacefully... It's odd that I tried this quest three times total, and could not figure out how to get this to resolve peacefully for all. I mean there's clearly a way to do it - and that link shows it - which I didn't look it up (I usually do that on a second play through to see what I missed) when I initially played (and tried, three times).

And considering how much I love the story and the world (my obsession of getting POE1 100%) should let you know I am not skimming the text. I am devouring it and taking it all into my brain.

I wasn't really accusing you of anything, just kind of don't understand your reasoning that's all. Like I said, I got it on the first try. I guess you just weren't lucky with the trial and error thing, sorry to hear it.

• Like 1

I wasn't really accusing you of anything, just kind of don't understand your reasoning that's all. Like I said, I got it on the first try. I guess you just weren't lucky with the trial and error thing, sorry to hear it.

To be clear, I didn't think you were accusing me of anything. I was just clarifying I am not one of those players who skips through the dialogue, because I am just trying to beat the game... I actually seriously enjoy the game. (Perhaps a little too much) :)

Like I said, turned out not to be a big deal. I ended up siding with the house I preferred between the two and moved on.

• Like 1