A teensy bit of help would be much appreciated

So, I've managed to install the game perfectly fine. I downloaded the 1.0b patch, and a couple of mods from knightsoftheoldrepublic.com

When I play the thing now, I can get past the character selection screen and the opening text crawl. However, right after that I get a quick flash of pixellated gibberish and a windows error message. Then the game closes.

My details:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: Pavilion dv4000 (EC320UA#ABL)

BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLX

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.73GHz

Memory: 1014MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

Chip type: Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset

Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4020 (English)

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio

Driver Name: smwdm.sys

Driver Version: 5.12.0001.5240 (English)

I'd really appreciate some help with this; I've tried reinstalling, twice, restarting my computer, and several graphic driver updates

Hm. According to the troubleshooter, the Intel 915G is supported. Alas.

According to that link, some of those chipsets may fuction with "future" driver updates. I suppose that's worth a try. Again.

Thanks for the help, even though it didn't really solve my problem.

BTW, I checked out that google group refuse; in one of the topics, there's a guy who claims that he managed to run it fine with a 915GM/GMS,910GML Express. Very odd.

Edited by somedude

Perhaps swiftshader or 3danalyzer might help in emulating what your card seems to lack (I always get a message that my card is not supported when I launch the game, but oddly enough it runs anyway). There is a thread dedicated in that group to the 915 card, perhaps someone there might have some further info. With my card, which is pretty much the same as yours, on Windows XP and 1GB of RAM I can run both KotOR and TSL at medium specs. The only noticeable problem is that silver/shiny objects and armour are rendered white and some Force powers lack visuals (such as Force run not producing a blur effect on my laptop). Other than that, both games run surprisingly well, considering how bug-ridden the game is. Aside from looking into these options, I don't know if it's possible to get the game to run, without any hardware upgrades.

No worries Mortis; judging by what you said, the problem has no real solution. Although according to refuse...

Yeah, I saw the topic and I've applied to join the group. Don't know how active it is, so I don't know how long it will take.

Personally I'm wondering if the game files themselves are corrupted; that would make sense, since other people seem to be able to get it working on the same card, and my game crashes just before loading the game environment itself.

Of course it doesn't help me much if that is the case. *sigh*

The problem is likely the Intel 915's lack of hardware T&L capability (it does do software T&L). Supposedly the game requires that ability (unlike KotOR 1), but the latest patch also supposedly added support for the Intel 915, which seems to conflict with that requirement. Frankly, I have never known of anyone with anything less than an Intel 945/965 getting the game to run, and those only run at the barest minimum settings. Like refuse suggested, you might be able to use 3D Analyze to trick the game into thinking you have a card with hardware T&L ability, which is probably your only option since a hardware upgrade on that laptop is unlikely.

Edited by cogadh

Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the dogs of War!

userbar2kq0.jpg

cogadh.jpeg