Sajan can't recharge the soldier to help after using his ability.

delpheki

Question

11 answers to this question

Interesting question.  Can you use it with other unarmed folks?

A combat check gets the Melee trait from using a card that defines the check AND has the Melee trait, so, it's possible that this check never gets the Melee trait.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Yes, Sajan can choose to recharge the soldier unarmed with his 1d6 as melee but once it switches to 1d10 un-highlights.  Which makes me wonder exactly what it's treated as, or if the card text of soldier is more accurately "strength melee combat check"

Sajans ability says "For your combat check, you may use your dexterity skill; you may not play a weapon on the check."

This doesn't say anything about "melee", nor does Sajan have the melee skill on his character sheet.

Sajan using his ability is exactly the same as Seoni punching something using strength, except his is dex and hers would be strength. In neither case could they use a melee bonus to add to that check because they don't have and aren't using a melee skill. Now you can always choose to take a default d4 when rolling a skill you don't have, but if he chose to do that he would have to roll that as his combat check instead of activating his power, as the power specifically uses dexterity, not melee.

This came up in another topic.  "Melee" refers to two things in the game.  One is the Melee skill.  Sajan doesn't have it, so unless he rolls a d4 instead of his d10 Dexterity die (or even his Strength die), it doesn't apply.

Melee is ALSO a common Trait among weapons.  The only way to get to add the Melee trait to your combat check is to have a power that does so, or play a card that defines your combat check and which has the Melee trait (such as non-ranged weapons).  So, with all that in mind, a character with no Melee skill and no Melee weapon isn't making a Melee combat check, by the strictest definition.

• Like 2

The issue here comes from thinking of Skills as being attached to Stats.  Remember that it's fully possible (although to my knowledge it doesn't exist) for a character to have Melee Skill under Charisma.  More common is how Arcane and Divine bounce around a bit, and there are also Strength based Ranged characters.

As soon as Sajan uses his power, his combat check changes from either a Strength or Melee check (since you can default to either when unarmed) into a Dex check, which is no longer a Melee check.  However, it's still a Dexterity based combat check, which is why Erastil is such an awesome, awesome blessing for him.

• Like 2

Yes, Sajan can choose to recharge the soldier unarmed with his 1d6 as melee

In addition to what the other people said, if this is your experience - this is a bug.

So with Sajan and Soldier, you only have 3 options:

- use power and roll your d10 Dex skill

- use your d6 Str skill (which does not have the Melee trait and it shouldn't be possible to play Soldier)

- use your untrained Melee skill for d4 and throw in a Soldier for another d4

If you are able to roll you Strength AND add a Soldier for d6 + d4 - this is a bug.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

The issue here comes from thinking of Skills as being attached to Stats.  Remember that it's fully possible (although to my knowledge it doesn't exist) for a character to have Melee Skill under Charisma.

Good point.  From the characters I've encountered, these are the skills I've seen under Charisma:  Arcane, Craft, Diplomacy, Divine, Knowledge, Perception, Stealth, and Survival.

Think about some of those...

As soon as Sajan uses his power, his combat check changes from either a Strength or Melee check (since you can default to either when unarmed) into a Dex check, which is no longer a Melee check.  However, it's still a Dexterity based combat check, which is why Erastil is such an awesome, awesome blessing for him.

Yes, Sajan can choose to recharge the soldier unarmed with his 1d6 as melee

In addition to what the other people said, if this is your experience - this is a bug.

So with Sajan and Soldier, you only have 3 options:

- use power and roll your d10 Dex skill

- use your d6 Str skill (which does not have the Melee trait and it shouldn't be possible to play Soldier)

- use your untrained Melee skill for d4 and throw in a Soldier for another d4

If you are able to roll you Strength AND add a Soldier for d6 + d4 - this is a bug.

This is where the confusion on the skill came from.  The fact that I could recharge the soldier with my 1d6 led me to believe that all unarmed combat checks were melee.  I realize some characters have the actual melee skill but I thought it was just for purposes of providing a bonus.  It all makes more sense now.

Still a bug.

So, need to get the attention of somebody official for the bug, which sounds like it's that soldier is working on both strength and melee, when it should just work on melee.

the other possibility is they havent defined the combat check properly

Its not written in the rules that i can find, but in the board game under choosing your dice it lets you use your strength or melee skill for a combat check if you dont have or use a card or power that lets you make a combat check

So i can see them actually defining the combat check as a strength and melee if no other cards/powers are used

And eventually we will get people with finesse who get melee:dex+#

Edit p.s. You should probably mark this one as answered and open a new one on the soldier working for basic combat check with out melee skill as its fairly obvious that the soldier shouldnt work with sajan's power so this thread might not get the appropriate response from the devs

Edited by icdumppl