E3 first impressions

PC Games (German) E3 first impressions

Google-translated version

Dungeon Siege 3: first impressions of the E3

Square Enix presented Dungeon Siege 3 yesterday at E3. PC Games was present at the first performance of the fantasy action-RPG, and reports from the first impression.

PC games could Dungeon 3 by Square Enix as one of the first survey victories. The RPG was created under Obsidian Entertainment, and not as previously by Gas Powered Games. The founder Chris Taylor but advisor should act as a supposedly have. The idea of Dungeon Siege 3 obsidian CEO Nathan Davis took into their own hands. The plot of Dungeon Siege 3 plays in the Kingdom Ehb. The presentation showed a melee fighter with the name Lucas. This has a primary and secondary weapons mode. The first is used for quick strikes with one-hand weapons, the second for two-handed sword with mighty swings. The player must constantly switch between the two modes to obtain tactical advantages. Each class is playable Waffenmodi bring. Next, the quest log was presented, it can be a shining trail map, which specifies the path to the next destination - a nice feature.

With the reactive storyline, there is a new feature. Depending on how the player decides in dialogs will change the course of history. The developers at Obsidian to push the story in the foreground. During the demonstration you meet an NPC that the player is available. This NPC can always be replaced with a push of a button by a human player. The story is interrupted by cut-scenes and story events, and continue. Towards the end there is a boss fight. These are in the final version always run individually and require a similar WoW boss fight certain game mechanics. Each class will have skills that are designed for a co-op mode. For example, a mage slow down the opponents and the warriors around him skin.

Dungeon Siege 3 visually reminds a little of third Diablo The RPG looks super in spite of the early stage. It's all what have to offer next-generation games are, among other things, Ragdoll, Full Dynamic Lighting, and so on. The game world is Dungeon Siege typical, as well as the gameplay - very action-with respect enemy masses. Conclusion: Dungeon Siege 3 leaves an excellent impression - not just graphically. It seems that Obsidian Entertainment Siege Dungeon brings to the amount of time.

Cynamite.de E3 first impressions

Google-translated version

Dungeon Siege 3 in the First Look: Our first impressions of the Action-RPG

Was presented at E3 Dungeon Siege 3, and we are among the first who were allowed antesten it. Learn everything about gameplay, combat, story and graphics of the new Dungeon Siege.

With Dungeon Siege 3 returns successful action-RPG series back to the Vergangenhiet could celebrate some successes already. While the younger players rather unsuccessful film adaptation by Uwe Boll remember thinking earlier in the first Dungeon Siege part of 2002 for PC back.

The new Dungeon Siege 3, but this time not from Chris Taylor (Supreme Commander, Dungeon Siege 1 +2), but by Obsidian Entertainment developed. Taylor is, however, as a consultant. At the launch of Dungeon Siege 3 Nathan Davis was on the spot, the last Alpha Protcol has co-developed (test in the new Games Aktuell 07/2010).

The action takes place in the country Ehb, presented a Guardian named Lucas. The melee fighter is one of many character classes, in addition we are also a melee sorceress named Arcan shown. The abilities of each class are designed for cooperative play. The mage can slow down opponents, who are warriors done by then.

At one point we encounter an NPC (Non-Playable Character), who supported us in the fight. Here we show the developer a cool feature: A colleague is a button at anytime on or off. Koop Galore!

Edited by funcroc

Nice. So players can join in and control your party members anytime, online? That would really kick ass. Too bad there are no leaked out images or movies. I was expecting more info.

Reasons why Dungeon Siege is NOT a Diablo clone:

- DS has multicharacter parties.

- DS doesn't have boring pre-defined classes, but the players develop the characters.

- DS has packmules!

- DS has a huge map without any loading bars between areas, even when teleporting!

- DS has 10.000+ spells, and even more items!

Okay i'm quite dissapointed now I hoped that they will somehow try to make Hard Core RPG from this one. It would be nice to see a gameplay video though or read more in depth preview. I still kinda hope that they will add aditional layers of depth in dialogs, setting and story, if not I think they will be crushed by Diablo III, which no doubt will be better H'n'S.

Edited by PoetAndMadman

With the reactive storyline, there is a new feature. Depending on how the player decides in dialogs will change the course of history. The developers at Obsidian to push the story in the foreground.

For those with apparent dyslexia.

A game can have a deep reactive story and still be an action rpg in its core guys o:)

I just meant that this certainly isn't going to be a 'multiple solution' game that you can complete with only diplomacy..

Then again, I categorize NWN2 OC too as an action rpg, just not that good and smooth. :(

A game can have a deep reactive story and still be an action rpg in its core guys o:)

Yeah, I don't understand the fuss about that. It's like the people here think the two are mutually exclusive. Or maybe they just suck at action RPGs.

I just meant that this certainly isn't going to be a 'multiple solution' game that you can complete with only diplomacy..

Then again, I categorize NWN2 OC too as an action rpg, just not that good and smooth. :(

Then again, neither was Planescape: Torment.

Oh, and I think they've completely reworked the class system, because this doesn't sound like powers with cooldowns to me (which I don't mind one bit, since it sounds more like Diablo 2's skills!)

The presentation showed a melee fighter with the name Lucas. This has a primary and secondary weapons mode. The first is used for quick strikes with one-hand weapons, the second for two-handed sword with mighty swings. The player must constantly switch between the two modes to obtain tactical advantages.

Unless he's just describing a weapon switching system like in Diablo 2 (and I think IWD2?)

Then again, neither was Planescape: Torment.

Planescape : Torment.. I must confess, I have a feeling that the combat wasn't that good but I don't really remember fighting much.. just a couple of times in all the game.

The rest? Making lives better for people left and right and dispensing wisdom for everyone.

o:)

If the powers with cooldowns are thrown out of the window, at the very least make combat like Divine Divinity. No more chopping down of trees, please.

And preferably make the rest of the game like Divine Divinity as well (open world, freedom to interact with everyone & everything, witty dialogue). That's really the only game Obsidian should look up to.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

If the powers with cooldowns are thrown out of the window, at the very least make combat like Divine Divinity. No more chopping down of trees, please.

And preferably make the rest of the game like Divine Divinity as well (open world, freedom to interact with everyone & everything, witty dialogue). That's really the only game Obsidian should look up to.

Divine Divinity kind of game that looks and plays (in combat) like Diablo 3 would be pretty fu..in sweet indeed.

E3: Square Enix Owns Dungeon Siege IP, Moves Into Western RPG Market (Gamasutra)

Square Enix surprised fans of Gas Powered Games' Dungeon Siege action-RPGs when it announced it would be publishing the third game in the series, with development handled by Obsidian Entertainment -- and Obsidian has now revealed that Square Enix owns the franchise outright, giving the company inroads into the Western RPG market.

When the game was first announced earlier this month for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, the relationship between Dungeon Siege III and the three companies was unclear. Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart shed more light on the situation during a Gamasutra-attended demonstration of the game at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles this week.

"Square actually purchased the IP from Gas Powered, and it's a Square brand now," Urquhart explained. He said Chris Taylor, Gas Powered founder and original Dungeon Siege designer, reviews every major new build of the game, although Gas Powered is not formally involved in development.

"Chris gives us a lot of feedback, and we take all that criticism seriously, particularly when he says, 'This doesn't feel like Dungeon Siege,'" Urquhart said. "What we get from Square is a huge amount of support -- a lot of good ideas about how they approach things in their games."

The CEO claims he can't even remember which company first proposed the idea. "It all happened simultaneously," he said. "I've known Chris [Taylor] for years, and we've been talking to Square for at least a couple of years about doing a game with them. We had a team available, and Square was already working with Gas Powered on Supreme Commander 2."

Square Enix's ownership of Dungeon Siege broadens the famously RPG-centric publisher's reach from Japanese-style RPGs to Western-style RPGs -- although Dungeon Siege has always been closer to action-heavy Diablo series than to the narrative-driven Western RPGs like Obsidian's own upcoming Fallout: New Vegas.

"There are 60,000 lines of dialogue in Fallout: New Vegas. There are not going to be 60,000 lines of dialogue in Dungeon Siege III," Urquhart quipped. "We're not going to have a conversation every five seconds."

That doesn't mean Obsidian won't be applying its roleplaying experience to the game, however. While the studio plans to stay firmly with "action RPG" boundaries, Urquhart says the team definitely hopes to beef up the game's narrative chops, with a rich world, more player quests, and better in-game storytelling.

"A lot of ARPGs are challenged by story -- 'Go kill the evil thing in the crypt,'" he said. "That's been our big focus, and it's a challenge. It's something we work on all the time."

Edited by funcroc

Not as much dialogue isn't necessarily so bad considering that :

a) Fallout : New Vegas is open ended, so a lot of dialogue is in the side quests anyway;

b) There are other ways to tell a good story. I don't think Alpha Protocol has as much dialogue as Planescape : Torment, even counting the permutations and yet.. the story is told really well.

I don't know how I feel about Chris Taylor going 'that doesn't feel like Dungeon Siege'.

Well that was his IP after all, so I can't really complain, but considering what his last 'Siege' game was.. :lol:

Not as much dialogue isn't necessarily so bad considering that :

a) Fallout : New Vegas is open ended, so a lot of dialogue is in the side quests anyway;

b) There are other ways to tell a good story. I don't think Alpha Protocol has as much dialogue as Planescape : Torment, even counting the permutations and yet.. the story is told really well.

I don't know how I feel about Chris Taylor going 'that doesn't feel like Dungeon Siege'.

Well that was his IP after all, so I can't really complain, but considering what his last 'Siege' game was.. :lol:

Did Taylor say anything to Uwe Boll during the making of the movie? :lol:

Seriously though, I think for action RPGs there has to be a right balance between dialogue and story points and the action portions. Otherwise it feels like you have to wade through mountains of dialogue (or cut scenes) to get to hacking and slashing. So I'm not surprised to see less dialogue than a more traditional RPG.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Actually, wasn't Onyx engine developed for Aliens : Crucible?

By the way, it seems that the lighting on the game is stunning according to that preview.

Now, I'm actually curious.

Graphics won't influence my stance on the game much, but they'll influence someone else's so... having top-notch production values will help.