Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - DA REAL DEAL

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4876 posts

Old thread here

Last post

Sounds like they are going back to a lot of the elements from X3 and earlier that were stripped out streamlined from the abortion that was X: Rebirth.  That's great, as I love X3 and still play it sometimes.  Building giant stations and making a galactic trading empire is my jam.  What worries me is that they are still trying to have you be able to walk out of your ship and walk around stations to talk to people and such.  While this seems like a desirable feature on paper, anyone who played X: Rebirth saw how well it was executed last time

Spoiler

Egosoft has never been able to make even mediocre looking character models nor halfway decent character animations.  They will need to improve in this area significantly if they want the interiors of the stations to not completely suck this time around.  What I saw in the video was not entirely encouraging in that regard, albeit that was pre-alpha footage.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3001 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh noes! Where did the CAPS form the topic title go? :'(
  • Keyrock likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4605 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They were lost due to randomness, this being the random video game thread.

"Everything is in a state of flux, including the status quo." - Robert Byrne

• melkathi likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3001 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yakuza Kiwami Launch Trailer

• Hurlshot and Labadal like this

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This thread is an impostor! Where is the real RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!?

• Rosbjerg and Keyrock like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Sonic Mania has 2 DRM's... still highly rated game. So far it's the most beautiful sprite work I've seen since KoFVII but without bias, I recommend everyone to check out the sprite work for themselves. At first glance you may think it looks similar to the old Sonic games (which were the most impressive sprites and animations of the 90's) but really Sonic Mania is at a whole new level. Just awesome!

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4876 posts

This thread is an impostor! Where is the real RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!?

What are you talking about - IT'S THE REAL DEAL!

• Hurlshot, Mamoulian War and Fenixp like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
DA REAL DEAL = DRAGON AGE REAL DEAL!!! :D

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6704 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Oh thank goodness, the ALL CAPS is back, I was wondering what kind of bull**** thread this was.

• Majek, SadExchange, Gfted1 and 4 others like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4085 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ah, thank heavens! The caps are there. For a moment there, I thought the zika virus had infested one of our best threads.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I wanna be part of the cool kids too...

Yay... caps are back... yay.....

I'm so cool now. Yay.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3001 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
"I'm so cool now. Yay. "

No.
  • Majek, Bartimaeus, Azdeus and 1 other like this

marelooke

marelooke

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Old thread here

Last post

Sounds like they are going back to a lot of the elements from X3 and earlier that were stripped out streamlined from the abortion that was X: Rebirth.  That's great, as I love X3 and still play it sometimes.  Building giant stations and making a galactic trading empire is my jam.  What worries me is that they are still trying to have you be able to walk out of your ship and walk around stations to talk to people and such.  While this seems like a desirable feature on paper, anyone who played X: Rebirth saw how well it was executed last time

Spoiler

Egosoft has never been able to make even mediocre looking character models nor halfway decent character animations.  They will need to improve in this area significantly if they want the interiors of the stations to not completely suck this time around.  What I saw in the video was not entirely encouraging in that regard, albeit that was pre-alpha footage.

Don't really get it either. Sure it makes for nice screenshots and it is, ironically, also the reason why EVE 'spreadsheets in space' Online has some of the best character creation in any game (some newer MMOs come close nowadays). They tried the same thing and nobody wanted it because it got in the way of, y'know, getting stuff done in the game. In the end they had to introduce the ability to turn it off entirely...

Edited by marelooke, 30 August 2017 - 04:29 AM.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3271 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The "ability to get stuff done", indeed. While it looks fancy to walk through a station... once... I don't think it will be a fun experience for long.

Walking around in the ship sounds cool, though, at least for as long as there is stuff to do. If it's just a pointless graphical hull, then I won't be needing it either.
  • marelooke likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 966 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"I'm so cool now. Yay. "

No.

It was sarcasm, I really don't want to be on the same level lol

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts

http://www.pcgamer.c...-3-horse-armor/

So they are doing the bull**** money thing EA and Bioware do. It's paid mods on STEAM but worse. Unless. Unless getting into 'creation club' is only reserved for the best modders, but honestly with a name like 'creation club' expectations aren't high.

The thing is they need sales and for that they need products and very quickly it will become a cesspool. It's the effective end of any interest in the modding of Bethesda games. 

• Rosbjerg, Orogun01 and Azdeus like this

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1357 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So they are doing the bull**** money thing EA and Bioware do. It's paid mods on STEAM but worse. Unless. Unless getting into 'creation club' is only reserved for the best modders, but honestly with a name like 'creation club' expectations aren't high.

The thing is they need sales and for that they need products and very quickly it will become a cesspool. It's the effective end of any interest in the modding of Bethesda games. 

I wish this burns in the lowest pits of hell

• redneckdevil likes this

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3006 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm also in favour of the caps. As this is the only all caps title thread, it makes it easier to keep track of forum activity.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3523 posts

The same issues still apply and I really will just stick to the regular modding community and if they try to censor that then I guess I'll learn how to pirate mods.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Walking around in the ship sounds cool, though, at least for as long as there is stuff to do. If it's just a pointless graphical hull, then I won't be needing it either.

Yeah, honestly, I'm not entirely sure why does Egosoft insist on the whole 'walking inside' angle. I mean sure, it sounds cool, but I can't see how can it be made relevant in a game of X's scale without putting a ton of work into it - and honestly, I'd prefer that work to be put into simulation instead. Then again, I suppose we do have a pretty damn compelling product we can go back to in the form of X3 so trying new things may not be a bad idea, still... Egosoft was the only company who periodically produced space sims with strong focus on economic simulation and they seem to be steering away from that in the name of pretty and cool.

I'm also in favour of the caps. As this is the only all caps title thread, it makes it easier to keep track of forum activity.

Come on, there's no need to act mature and try to come up with reasonable explanation as for why all caps are good. We know RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS are The Most Important And Awesome Thing™, and therefore ALL CAPS approach is the only appropriate... Nay, the only viable approach. No need for any explanation after that.

Edited by Fenixp, 31 August 2017 - 12:37 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Starwars, Rosbjerg