Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics - Jason X

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
919 replies to this topic

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

That said, the antifa guys shouldn't be considered allied to the Democrats because they hold no allegiance to liberal democracy and don't care whether they hurt the Dems or not.

That's the problem, the Dems don't believe in liberal democracy either. Not freedom of speech, and not rule of law. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried.

http://www.azcentral...ents/614854001/

Arpaio not totally clear yet, I guess?

Just technicalities, a Presidential pardon can't be overruled. Btw, all this outrage about Arpaio being pardoned for enforcing the law (convicted by criminals who refuse to enforce the law themselves and not even allowed a jury trial), and crickets about Terry McAuliffe restoring voting rights to 60000 felons just so they could vote for Hillary. http://dailycaller.c...swing-election/

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, 30 August 2017 - 07:23 AM.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

1. He lost the popular vote because of Kalifornia. One state shouldn't be allowed to solely decide the election.

Most economically productive state in the union, has some of the best public _and_ private higher education institutions, home to the busiest cargo ports in the states and the highest traffic airliner hub, hosts the principle naval base for USPACFLT, why on Earth shouldn't California matter a _whole_ lot?
Equality

Isn't a situation where a smaller number of people has more voting power than a larger number of people actually inequality?

There's no equality with our voting system as long as we have the winner take all results with states and instead go back to everyone gets there share.
Keeping winner takes all and going with popular vote instead let's 4 states dictate over the rest of the 46.
Keep the electoral voting system instead, that way big populations still get an advantage but the rest have a say.

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That said, the antifa guys shouldn't be considered allied to the Democrats because they hold no allegiance to liberal democracy and don't care whether they hurt the Dems or not.

That's the problem, the Dems don't believe in liberal democracy either. Not freedom of speech, and not rule of law. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried.

http://www.azcentral...ents/614854001/

Arpaio not totally clear yet, I guess?

Just technicalities, a Presidential pardon can't be overruled. Btw, all this outrage about Arpaio being pardoned for enforcing the law (convicted by criminals who refuse to enforce the law themselves and not even allowed a jury trial), and crickets about Terry McAuliffe restoring voting rights to 60000 felons just so they could vote for Hillary. http://dailycaller.c...swing-election/

I hate to break it to you, but the Republicans don't believe in liberal Democracy either.

1. He lost the popular vote because of Kalifornia. One state shouldn't be allowed to solely decide the election.

Most economically productive state in the union, has some of the best public _and_ private higher education institutions, home to the busiest cargo ports in the states and the highest traffic airliner hub, hosts the principle naval base for USPACFLT, why on Earth shouldn't California matter a _whole_ lot?
Equality

Isn't a situation where a smaller number of people has more voting power than a larger number of people actually inequality?

There's no equality with our voting system as long as we have the winner take all results with states and instead go back to everyone gets there share.
Keeping winner takes all and going with popular vote instead let's 4 states dictate over the rest of the 46.
Keep the electoral voting system instead, that way big populations still get an advantage but the rest have a say.

It's also an issue with the Electoral College system. It was originally designed as a compromise between the slave holding southern states and the northern states and as a compromise between the smaller states and the bigger states. It may have been balanced by the standards of the time, but the Founders couldn't predict the future as far as the Electoral College goes.

Edited by smjjames, 30 August 2017 - 07:39 AM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8604 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Would fixing the electoral college system even change the results of the last election? It just sounds like a way to make people in more populated states even more marginalized when it comes to the Federal election. Of course, us in California can take solace in the fact that we have better wine, food, and weather than everyone else. Oh, and Yosemite.

• Guard Dog, Agiel and algroth like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Of course, us in California can take solace in the fact that we have better wine, food, and weather than everyone else. Oh, and Yosemite.

Oh yeah? Last year in state income tax I paid $0. How do you like me now! You have wine? Humph... fancy drinks for fancy folks. We have bourbon. So there! And I'll see your Yosemite and raise you The Great Smokey Mountains. 

Whose got the best State? You know who!  :lol: 

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2497 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Who?

:p

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6993 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Of course, us in California can take solace in the fact that we have better wine, food, and weather than everyone else. Oh, and Yosemite.

And you have the best song about any state

• ShadySands likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 572 posts

Oh gawd here is comes. I start bragging about the smokies and here comes the guy who lives in the Rockies. 

Remember James Lofton from the Bills teams in the 90's. He said he'd never wear his AFC championship right because he was afraid someone would show up wearing a super bowl ring. 

• ShadySands likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 572 posts

Who?

:p

double posted

Edited by Guard Dog, 30 August 2017 - 08:16 AM.

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh gawd here is comes. I start bragging about the smokies and here comes the guy who lives in the Rockies. 

Remember James Lofton from the Bills teams in the 90's. He said he'd never wear his AFC championship right because he was afraid someone would show up wearing a super bowl ring. 

New York? The Appalachians barely go into New York.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8604 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Damnit, I'm super jealous of that state income tax rate.   ;(

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 622 posts

Its greatest resource is also well-taken care of when it comes to higher education. Best in class for film studies, sciences and high technology (everyone knows MIT is a punk b**** compared to Caltech, there, I said it), art, and public research schools.

Edited by Agiel, 30 August 2017 - 08:30 AM.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

I hate to break it to you, but the Republicans don't believe in liberal Democracy either.

But Democrats are far, far worse. Granted both parties are corrupt, but without changing the electoral system nothing can be done about it.

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But Democrats are far, far worse. Granted both parties are corrupt, but without changing the electoral system nothing can be done about it.

We'd say the same of our opposing parties as far as who is far worse on x issue, but yes, not much can be done about the problems with our current political system without changing the electoral system. Like changing away from FPTP (first past the post) for example.

Edited by smjjames, 30 August 2017 - 09:08 AM.

• Wrath of Dagon likes this

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 713 posts
It seems the left is starting to recognize antifa for what they really are. Nazi in disguise.

https://www.washingt...ifa-protesters/

https://www.washingt...m=.827cf384ca47
  • Hurlshot likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16961 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Of course, us in California can take solace in the fact that we have better wine, food, and weather than everyone else."

You also do earthquakes pretty well.

P.S. Good on Pelosi on this... of coruse, she needs expect to be called a KKK apologist or some other such nonsense.

Edited by Volourn, 30 August 2017 - 10:50 AM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8604 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It seems the left is starting to recognize antifa for what they really are. Nazi in disguise.

What is the difference between these chaps and the Black Bloc protesters?

It seems to me that Antifa is kind of like Alt-Right, in that there are numerous groups that claim to be a part of it, some much worse than others. It also seems rather disorganized. 

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I wouldn't quite say that they're 'nazis in disguise' (given that they're opposing the nazis), but yes, they're definetly an equivalent distance from the center. Peaceful protests are a heck of a lot more effective anyway.

As the saying goes, violence begets violence begets violence begets violence begets violence begets violence. Okay, it's an extended version of the saying which makes the point that it's a cycle.

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What is the difference between these chaps and the Black Bloc protesters?

It seems to me that Antifa is kind of like Alt-Right, in that there are numerous groups that claim to be a part of it, some much worse than others. It also seems rather disorganized. 

The antifa (the anarchists and the ones descended from anti-fascist groups from the 1930's and 1940's) are the ones who think the only solution to the alt-right is to fight back with violence instead of peacefully. The Black Bloc (is that the same as BLM?) and Black Lives Matter generally prefer peaceful rather than violence.

edit: Not sure why I double posted, but anyways.......

Edited by smjjames, 30 August 2017 - 11:01 AM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8604 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've been reading up on the Patriot Prayer group and Joey Gibson. Talk about a crazy story, this guy seems to be doing everything he can to distance himself from white supremacists and denounce racists, and he is still getting attacked.

http://www.mercuryne...t-crissy-field/

Hopefully all this stuff dies down a bit soon so we can start having actual dialogue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users