Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics - Jason X

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I'd post this in the funny thing thread.... but it ain't funny

21077726_10212627006443615_5114343751802

• Hurlshot, Malcador, Orogun01 and 2 others like this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1456 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

I appreciate you keeping politics out of the funny thread unlike everyone else. :wub:

• Hurlshot, Guard Dog, Orogun01 and 1 other like this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3229 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sometimes, you have to put politics in the funny thread. Otherwise you might end up crying.

On that slight edge of politics but not quite..  Gone with the Wind removed from theater due to racial sensitivity

Edited by Raithe, 29 August 2017 - 11:40 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5282 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Damn, there goes every Western ever made. :lol:

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sometimes, you have to put politics in the funny thread. Otherwise you might end up crying.

On that slight edge of politics but not quite..  Gone with the Wind removed from theater due to racial sensitivity

It's a free country, people can coddle themselves.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6920 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Good. That movie sucks. :p
  • aluminiumtrioxid and algroth like this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
If u live in the states, now be a good time to fill up those gas tanks. With the floods in Texas, weither or not the oil fields are fine or not, I think those gas prices will start rising soon.
  • Deadly_Nightshade likes this

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Responding to WoD

OK, let's wave a magic wand and make Bernie Sanders President for the rest of this term. Will we be more like Sweden in 2020 or more like the US in 2016? The reason why you shouldn't worry too much is even if it happened he would not be all powerful. He would still have only a third of the political power of the federal government. If 218 Bernie Sanders get elected the house and 51 Bernie's in the Senate it still would not be the end because the States have their own political powers.

States only have power so long as the Constitution is respected. And the Democrats, especially the far left ones have made it clear time and again that they wipe their ass with it.

And even if all of that fails the final redoubt of the United States is and has always been insurrection. And if you don't win at the very least you won't have to be subjected to what comes next. I really would not worry about this. Yes it's fun to talk about and I am not at all ashamed to engage in a little harmless hyperbole myself.

Yes, Venezuela and Turkey are finding out right now how sweet insurrection is once a tyrant is elected. Even if we won (very doubtful) I don't want to live through that.

Right now you can drive from Key West to Pocatello Idaho and not pass through a single state or even county where the Democrats have any power at all. In 2008 it looked like the GOP was on the verge of extinctions. These things are cyclical. Four years from now it will be all different again.

No, demographics and dumb young people are going the Democrats' way. It's actually a miracle Trump won, and no other Republican would've won any blue state.

Although he's not specifically addressing what we're discussing here, Nolte explains what we're facing very well: http://www.breitbart...ascist-rampage/

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, 29 August 2017 - 07:46 PM.

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Skipping the normal quote function as it can be a hassle to deal with:

"States only have power so long as the Constitution is respected. And the Democrats, especially the far left ones have made it clear time and again that they wipe their ass with it."

The Republicans, especially the far right ones also wipe their ass with the Constitution, just in different ways than the Democrats.

"Yes, Venezuela and Turkey are finding out right now how sweet insurrection is once a tyrant is elected. Even if we won (very doubtful) I don't want to live through that."

Define tyrant, the Republicans have often called Obama a tyrant (though with some reasoning, given how he used executive orders a lot due to the Republicans being obstructionists).

"No, demographics and dumb young people are going the Democrat's way. It's actually a miracle Trump won, and no other Republican would've won any blue state."

As for Trump winning, I don't know if I'd call it a miracle, more like a box of chaos since both candidates were equally flawed and you'd have to ask yourself why didn't any of the normal establishment Republicans win either. Just saying that it's a miracle ignores the whole host of reasons and things why Trump (lost the popular vote) won and Clinton (won the popular vote) lost.

On the antifa stuff, Breitbart is frikking Brietbart, not much better than Fox. That said, the antifa guys shouldn't be considered allied to the Democrats because they hold no allegiance to liberal democracy and don't care whether they hurt the Dems or not.

Edited by smjjames, 29 August 2017 - 08:01 PM.

• Guard Dog likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16956 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"things why Trump (lost the popular vote"

The whole 'he lost the popular vote' just reeks of garbage for serval reasons.

1.  He lost the popular vote because of Kalifornia. One state shouldn't be allowed to solely decide the election.

2. Illegals are allowed to vote and get away with it in especially highly Democratic states while in republicans they make it harder to vote because according to Demos only minorities at eunable to get proper ID for voting.

Every state in the US has their own election rules. If you went  for most votes = win you would have to make a more uniform voting policy like in other countries (like my own) that I know of).

The 'popular vote' is bogus. Just ask the anti Brexiters who wanted to  mass murder all the 'old people'. LOL

• redneckdevil likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

1. I'll admit that California does have a huge amount of influence, including the largest chunk of electoral votes.

2. I'm not even gonna bother responding to this as the illegal immigrant part is BS.

3? You're getting the primaries confused with the general election.

I'd probably add a third (or fourth? looks like you forgot to number the third reason), the turnout being so low compared to other countries.

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 612 posts

1.  He lost the popular vote because of Kalifornia. One state shouldn't be allowed to solely decide the election.

Most economically productive state in the union, has some of the best public _and_ private higher education institutions, home to the busiest cargo ports in the states and the highest traffic airliner hub, hosts the principle naval base for USPACFLT, why on Earth shouldn't California matter a _whole_ lot?

• Hurlshot likes this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 899 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

1. He lost the popular vote because of Kalifornia. One state shouldn't be allowed to solely decide the election.

Most economically productive state in the union, has some of the best public _and_ private higher education institutions, home to the busiest cargo ports in the states and the highest traffic airliner hub, hosts the principle naval base for USPACFLT, why on Earth shouldn't California matter a _whole_ lot?

Equality

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

Well, Trump lost the popular vote for one big reason and one smaller reason. The big reason is the Urban-Suburban/Rural divide that is becoming a bigger thing every election here. The smaller reason is voter fraud. Don't get me wrong, that didn't tip any scales. Hillary Clinton had a 2M or more advantage. You cannot get that many votes by fraud without someone noticing something is up. But suppose that was under 500k? The you have to wonder. 

In the city of Detroit Clinton received 95% of the vote. But in 37% of the precincts more votes were cast that they had registered voters. Think about that. That is not just a 100% turnout of registered voters, which never happens anyway. It was more votes than there are voters. In several precincts (according to one news source I'm not linking because it's The Blaze) there were three times as many votes cast a registered voters. http://www.news-gaze...tes-voters.html

In Chicago there were more than 14k votes cast than there were registered voters to cast them. And audit found people who had been dead for over 20 years voted last year. Clinton got 92% of the vote in Chicago. Who do you think ended up with the dead votes?

https://www.dnainfo....rimary-illinois 

http://chicago.cbslo...yond-the-grave/

http://chicagocitywi...ters-in-chicago

Voter fraud is a thing. And as long as the political parties that benefit from it control the places it happens, it won't get fixed. 

• Wrath of Dagon and redneckdevil like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts

Define tyrant, the Republicans have often called Obama a tyrant (though with some reasoning, given how he used executive orders a lot due to the Republicans being obstructionists).

Republicans being obstructionist is not a reason to use Executive Orders to take powers or actions not permitted by the Constitution. The voters put the Republicans into Congress because they promised they would obstruct what Obama was doing. By circumventing Congress using Executive Orders Obama thwarted the will of the voters and imposed his own on them. So yes, the word Tyrant is not entirely inappropriate. It's not entirely appropriate either because it softens the word in a world where there are actual tyrants. 

Of course Bohner and McConnel and the rest of them did not do such a great job opposing Obama for the most part. But if you start expecting a lot of Republicans you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

But the rest of your response I agree with. Particularly the part about liberty, rights, and the Constitution being freely trampled on by both parties. The Republicans have not been the party of limited government since we bid farewell to Reagan in 1988. They talk a good game during elections but when they actually get to Washington or their state capitals they show their true colors.

If someone actually wants to see limited, constitutional government I suggest they forget about elephants and donkeys and pick a new animal.

200px-Libertarian_Party_Porcupine_%28USA

• injurai likes this

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6355 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

1. He lost the popular vote because of Kalifornia. One state shouldn't be allowed to solely decide the election.

Equality

Isn't a situation where a smaller number of people has more voting power than a larger number of people actually inequality?

• algroth likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Republicans being obstructionist is not a reason to use Executive Orders to take powers or actions not permitted by the Constitution. The voters put the Republicans into Congress because they promised they would obstruct what Obama was doing. By circumventing Congress using Executive Orders Obama thwarted the will of the voters and imposed his own on them. So yes, the word Tyrant is not entirely inappropriate. It's not entirely appropriate either because it softens the word in a world where there are actual tyrants.

Well yeah, it's not a reason to overuse the Executive Orders, just saying that's why Obama did go and use them. Good thing though is that the next President (Trump in this case) can reverse every single one of those if they so wished to.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6920 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://www.azcentral...ents/614854001/

Arpaio not totally clear yet, I guess?

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, Trump lost the popular vote for one big reason and one smaller reason. The big reason is the Urban-Suburban/Rural divide that is becoming a bigger thing every election here. The smaller reason is voter fraud. Don't get me wrong, that didn't tip any scales. Hillary Clinton had a 2M or more advantage. You cannot get that many votes by fraud without someone noticing something is up. But suppose that was under 500k? The you have to wonder. 

In the city of Detroit Clinton received 95% of the vote. But in 37% of the precincts more votes were cast that they had registered voters. Think about that. That is not just a 100% turnout of registered voters, which never happens anyway. It was more votes than there are voters. In several precincts (according to one news source I'm not linking because it's The Blaze) there were three times as many votes cast a registered voters. http://www.news-gaze...tes-voters.html

In Chicago there were more than 14k votes cast than there were registered voters to cast them. And audit found people who had been dead for over 20 years voted last year. Clinton got 92% of the vote in Chicago. Who do you think ended up with the dead votes?

https://www.dnainfo....rimary-illinois

http://chicago.cbslo...yond-the-grave/

http://chicagocitywi...ters-in-chicago

Voter fraud is a thing. And as long as the political parties that benefit from it control the places it happens, it won't get fixed. 

http://www.snopes.co...ers-in-detroit/

Detroit's case may have been more because of voting machines there had problems during election day which has caused poll workers to miss calculate number of people that voted. 

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As far as I'm concerned the GOP is irredeemable.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Fiach