Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PotD too easy :(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Haran

Haran

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Once I got to level 11+ there were no challenging fights anymore. Even though I forced the "scaler" on in all areas. Even fights I remembered as being difficult in previous non-PotD playthroughs, like the lich and the adra dragon, were pretty easy (although those ones were not in upscaled areas). And I'm not even trying to get the best character builds and party composition.

• firkraag888 likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6586 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It's your meta knowledge and your improved knowledge around the mechanics. Happens to all of us. :)

Try solo PoTD next!

Edited by Boeroer, 25 August 2017 - 10:23 AM.

Haran

Haran

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

There was one fight that got me repeatedly. The ogres in Stalwart. I was 6th level at the time. Had to come back later at 7th level when I had access to 4th level spells.

Edited by Haran, 26 August 2017 - 06:04 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Level 6 is very early for Darzir.

firkraag888

firkraag888

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 277 posts

It's your meta knowledge and your improved knowledge around the mechanics. Happens to all of us. :)
Try solo PoTD next!

I started playing solo POTD. That would take a really long time to finish imo. So much micromanagement.

You would have to be a special kind of person to sit down and do that to completion. Not for me.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's only tedious in the beginning and starts to get easier (or more smooth) once you reach Defiance Bay where you can get a lot of levels without fighting.

There are classes/builds which are easier in the beginning (fighter, monk) as well. Especially monk makes for an rel. easy early game.

And if you are a rogue, specializing in stealth and solving quests in a "peaceful" way (aka sneaking around) this can also be fun and has its challenges without being too frustrating because of the fighting.

Of course the hefty encounters like dragons and bounties are still very hefty.

But yes, in the beginning it's a lot of tactics and running, sometimes spiltting and micromanagement.

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I recommend using less than a full party. Try a party of four to start. I actually found that quite fun. You focus more on what everyone is doing in a given role and all actions become more important.

It is one of the reasons I think the move to a five character party was the correct one.

Haran

Haran

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Good idea, I might try that. Currently I'm just refraining as much as possible from leveling up or resting. The latter brought about the discovery that potions of vital essence can heal your health, significantly increasing the number of fights I can take before resting. Sadly and annoyingly, they can only be used during combat.

Haran

Haran

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I finally met my match with the Magran's Faithful bounty. Mind you, I stayed at level 9 despite having enough XP for level 14. I did eventually manage to beat them after I realized the accuracy bonuses from Scroll of Valor, Holy Radiance and Devotion for the Faithful stack (+45), as well as the defense penalties from Shining Beacon and Enervating Terror (-35 will and fortitude).

Zidster

Zidster

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

I have to say, that I agree with you Haran. The game is rather easy even on PotD if you know what you are doing. I just did the battle of Yenwood with a level 8 party, without any big preparation whatsoever (during the battle I thought it would've been nice to use some of those potions and scrolls that keep on stacking in my treasure chest - but, oh well ... ) That's not to say it wasn't a really fun battle! Had me from "pfff this is easy" to "wow I don't think I'm gonna make it" over to "maye ... just maybe ..." and finally to "MUHAHAHA, take this Ramsey Bolton, erm I mean Lord Gathbin" Probably took me about half an hour because of all the micro management. But it paid off, none of my characters died and it felt really really satisfying to win this one. So basically the way I harden the game for myself (as I don't like to slim down on my party) is to not make use of potions, meals, scrolls and such all to often. I would however have expected that in order to best PotD you need to make use of EVERY mechanic the game has to offer. So it's kinda strange that I don't even need this. I love it in BG when one single potion of Ice Giant Strength makes the difference of life and death. But anyway, just wanted to tell you about my epic battle lolz.

• Soaren likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users