Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Two-handed sabers

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Don't be that guy :p
Most people don't know/care about historical sword details and as far as they can tell, saber = sword. I'm pretty sure what OP meant when saying "saber".

There are also people, that don't care for historical realism, but just have played a lot of RPGs and are able to differentiate sabre - scimitar - yatagan - machete - cutlass - sabre
/stopping being that guy  :grin:

No dice. The Saber/Sabres in Eternity have grips that are going to make sure you are using them one handed. Also Obsidian should just stick to their guns, if you want to use a sword two handed get a great sword or an estoc.

Personally I don't care much what to swing at the enemy. I could easily use a stylish shovel if it had the right penetration stats to pay respects to the villains of Deadfire.
  • Karkarov likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4491 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like to see some naval-related weaponry like boarding pikes, musketoon, belaying pin, marlinespike, boarding axe, and, of course, grenados.

Hound

Hound

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

A two-handed saber is basically a short pole-arm. There are several asian cultures from Mongolia to Japan that have variants of two-handed sabers, mind you they mounted it on a pole roughly a yard long because someone using a normal saber two handed looks really stupid and is a good way to get yourself killed.

• rjshae likes this

daven

daven

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

Maybe something like a Kilij? Were they 2 handed? Not sure.

Or a Tulwar, or Cavalry Sabre.

It's spelled sabre right? Whatever, doesn't really matter.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's spelled sabre right?

In British English yes, in American English (according to Wikipedia) it's spelled saber. However in Pillars of Eternity it was spelled sabre so I'm not sure I trust Wikipedia, not that it matters given I am a Brit.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1264 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In British English yes, in American English (according to Wikipedia) it's spelled saber. However in Pillars of Eternity it was spelled sabre so I'm not sure I trust Wikipedia, not that it matters given I am a Brit.

You better trust it
https://en.wikipedia...e_Star_Sheriffs

• Wormerine likes this

daven

daven

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

Them bloody colonials! Need to get them back under the banner of the empire!

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Huh, I wonder why it's sabre in Pillars then.

Wormerine

Wormerine

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You better trust it

Considering that USA is a young country sabre might feel more "historic." Also Brits spelling are usually more fun. I simply would like much more Dishonored if it had "u". I don't know why. Dishonoured just looks more honourable to me.
  • JerekKruger and daven like this

daven

daven

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

When I see armour spelled "armor"... hooo boy!

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1771 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You better trust it

Considering that USA is a young country sabre might feel more "historic." Also Brits spelling are usually more fun. I simply would like much more Dishonored if it had "u". I don't know why. Dishonoured just looks more honourable to me.

Yes but does it look more honorable ;)

• Karkarov likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users