Equality?

Aoyagi

Oops, almost forgot about this...

It's been a long-standing custom across many (most?) RPG worlds that men and women are equally capable fighters and equally able to join the army or faction of their choice.

I am pretty sure that no, it was not the case, unless you're talking about player characters. I definitely was not talking about those and thus I'm going to ignore everyone else who accuses me of ignorance, because the player party has historically always been male/female and it didn't matter. I was, quite obviously, talking about NPCs, and groups of NPCs. 

I think people are harsh on Aoyagi. I reacted to the same thing as them. I don't care about the beastmen, but the amount of women in the army seemed weird to me. It doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it seemed a bit silly. Doesn't mean anything, really.

I'd say it is fair. He is complaining about possible activism in a game while actively trying to push his own view of what the fantasy game should like like on the creators. Those who criticize should be open to criticism, which is what I see happening here. I wouldn't say it has gotten ugly. His post was well written and I'd say the responses were fairly measured.

Now "trying to push" is a bit of an overstatement. Originally I just gave feedback on a disruptive part of an otherwise great experience.

really wonder what is the male/female ratio of the conscripts and of the (sub)group leaders. I'm not going to say it's unrealistic, because this is a fantasy world, but it's inauthentic, not very believable, it ruins the verisimilitude.

Too many women in armies are inauthentic, not very believable, well, unrealistic. Okay.

yes, I was slightly bothered (not offended, not triggered, or anything like that) by almost entirely male population in Gothic 1, because just like in Tyranny, it clashed with authenticity.

A prison filled with only men clashes with authenticity, is also unrealistic. Very interesting what you find authentic and believable, what you believe.

Is that sarcasm?

And it would be a good point about the prison, if the barrier was covering only a prison. Still, I should totally replay it :D

A prison filled with only men clashes with authenticity, is also unrealistic. Very interesting what you find authentic and believable, what you believe.

Separating prisons by sex is standard.

That is my point.

It appears I've been bamboozled!

• Like 1

It sounds like you have personal hang ups about diversity and equality and you are transposing them onto a fantasy universe. My recommendation is to create your own fantasy universe that fits your own world view more accurately.

If they play Tabletop RPGs the Original Poster might enjoy FATAL! o:)

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

"female soldiers just means I get more variety in the people I kill. "

Wanting to kill females is sexist.

For the record, not wanting to kill females is also sexist.

Sexism. Sexism is everywhere.

• Like 5

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno... seems like some people are looking for reasons to bash so called activists. I actually really appreciate it when developers take the time to avoid the common sexist themes we're so used to seeing in games. I suppose you can't please everyone.

• Like 1

I suppose you can't please everyone.

Pushing an agenda inevitably finds opposition.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I suppose you can't please everyone.

Pushing an agenda inevitably finds opposition.

Even an agenda to hug kittens? I guess if they are not your kittens...

Hey, I like cats. But the old man I had as my neighbor when I was younger used to poison them.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."