Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Equality?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Undecaf

Undecaf

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Haven't played Tyranny, but can't really blame people for noticing **** like this and underlining it as appearing... unpleasant. The understones and occasional outbursts - that everyone knows - in the entertainment industry being what they are today.

The difference is that those liberal celebrities that you speak of usually push for said things. It didn't seem like they were overtly doing anything like the stuff that conservatives don't like. I'm liberal/progressive/left-leaning myself, so, maybe someone else would see it differently.

Sure. I just said that it is easy to spot these kinds of things whilst the agenda is pushed so prevalently and visibly around these industry.

Isn't Tyranny supposed to be an authoritarian hell hole anyways?

I suppose that's the gist of it. I haven't played it.

smjjames

smjjames

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Isn't Tyranny supposed to be an authoritarian hell hole anyways?

I suppose that's the gist of it. I haven't played it.

For some background, you can choose three sides, the Disfavored (made up of 'Northerners', from the Northern part of the empire, basically Roman legion in fighting style), the Scarlet Chorus (best described as a violent lawless horde, they recruit from everywhere. The Scarlet Chorus based companion in the game is herself born in the Tiers, the region the game takes place in), the rebels in the Tiers, or you can just go rogue and be the enemy of everybody.

The Disfavored are actually pretty damn bigoted, not against color, but against anybody not of 'Northerner blood'.

The Scarlet Chorus aren't anti-equality in any sort of moral way, but they pretty much go by survival of the fittest. They're a chaotic horde because their Archon leader wants it that way.

The beastmen, basically treated as slaves by both the big armies (Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus), and most people treat them like crap. You can choose whether to befriend, ally, betray, or even slaughter the Stonestalkers, which are the tribe that features most in Tyranny.

If your choices were restricted like you could only respond to something or do something in a certain way, then yeah, claims of trying to push an equality narrative might be valid, but it doesn't do that.

Basically, if someone wanted to view it as some kind of message about equality, there are definetly things they can use.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, basically they wanted both groups to be jerks. So Disfavored are bigots, but pretty restrained, whereas the Scarlet Chorus accepted anyone but... they kind of kill, rape, and torture. 

Anyways, I kind of get where OP is coming from. I remember vaguely thinking there were a lot of female soldiers in that game. But that's about it, really. Nothing more sinister than that.  

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't see the problem to be honest: female soldiers just means I get more variety in the people I kill.  I'm equal opportunities: everyone should have the option of dying by my hand, whether they have boobs or not.  You don't want the battles to just be sausage fests do you?

• algroth, Kirk and Hawke64 like this

Beyond The Sea

Beyond The Sea

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts

really wonder what is the male/female ratio of the conscripts and of the (sub)group leaders. I'm not going to say it's unrealistic, because this is a fantasy world, but it's inauthentic, not very believable, it ruins the verisimilitude.

Too many women in armies are inauthentic, not very believable, well, unrealistic. Okay.

yes, I was slightly bothered (not offended, not triggered, or anything like that) by almost entirely male population in Gothic 1, because just like in Tyranny, it clashed with authenticity.

A prison filled with only men clashes with authenticity, is also unrealistic. Very interesting what you find authentic and believable, what you believe.

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A prison filled with only men clashes with authenticity, is also unrealistic. Very interesting what you find authentic and believable, what you believe.

Separating prisons by sex is standard.

Beyond The Sea

Beyond The Sea

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts

That is my point.

Aoyagi

Aoyagi

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oops, almost forgot about this...

It's been a long-standing custom across many (most?) RPG worlds that men and women are equally capable fighters and equally able to join the army or faction of their choice.

I am pretty sure that no, it was not the case, unless you're talking about player characters. I definitely was not talking about those and thus I'm going to ignore everyone else who accuses me of ignorance, because the player party has historically always been male/female and it didn't matter. I was, quite obviously, talking about NPCs, and groups of NPCs. 

I think people are harsh on Aoyagi. I reacted to the same thing as them. I don't care about the beastmen, but the amount of women in the army seemed weird to me. It doesn't offend me in the slightest, but it seemed a bit silly. Doesn't mean anything, really.

I'd say it is fair. He is complaining about possible activism in a game while actively trying to push his own view of what the fantasy game should like like on the creators. Those who criticize should be open to criticism, which is what I see happening here. I wouldn't say it has gotten ugly. His post was well written and I'd say the responses were fairly measured.

Now "trying to push" is a bit of an overstatement. Originally I just gave feedback on a disruptive part of an otherwise great experience.

really wonder what is the male/female ratio of the conscripts and of the (sub)group leaders. I'm not going to say it's unrealistic, because this is a fantasy world, but it's inauthentic, not very believable, it ruins the verisimilitude.

Too many women in armies are inauthentic, not very believable, well, unrealistic. Okay.

yes, I was slightly bothered (not offended, not triggered, or anything like that) by almost entirely male population in Gothic 1, because just like in Tyranny, it clashed with authenticity.

Is that sarcasm?

And it would be a good point about the prison, if the barrier was covering only a prison. Still, I should totally replay it :D

Aoyagi

Aoyagi

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"I really wonder what is the male/female ratio of the conscripts and of the (sub)group leaders."

4:1

Nice. What is that based on? :o

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That is my point.

It appears I've been bamboozled!

• TrueNeutral likes this

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5126 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It sounds like you have personal hang ups about diversity and equality and you are transposing them onto a fantasy universe. My recommendation is to create your own fantasy universe that fits your own world view more accurately.

If they play Tabletop RPGs the Original Poster might enjoy FATAL! o:)

• Azdeus likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16952 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"female soldiers just means I get more variety in the people I kill. "

Wanting to kill females is sexist.

For the record, not wanting to kill females is also sexist.

Sexism. Sexism is everywhere.

• Azdeus and Labadal like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users