Enemy Druids are tearing me a new one

I've run into a bit of a roadblock here. Whenever I have to fight Druids (especially of the Ogre kind) they just decimate my entire party:

Lightning bolts that spam stun, Blight summoning for days and locust that eats up everyone's endurance/health.

I could really use some pointers here. Like... is there a spell that Durance knows that can dispel the lightning bolts, and more importantly, the locusts?

You have to disable them before they unleash their spells. Ogre druids can be charmed easily, human druids can be disabled with things that target fortitude, but charms also work well. And Durance knows a litany that prevents stun, but there's nothing against Plague of Insects.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Ogre Druids don't use Relentless or Returning Storm as far as I know. If you charm one then the others will unleash their spells onto him instead of you. Also works if you charm a normal Ogre. Their will defense is bad. Don't use spells against them that target fortitude. It's their highest defense and if you graze the duration of the spell is halved. It's better to use CC that targets the will defense (if you have). 

• Like 1

Ogre Druids don't use Relentless or Returning Storm as far as I know. If you charm one then the others will unleash their spells onto him instead of you. Also works if you charm a normal Ogre. Their will defense is bad. Don't use spells against them that target fortitude. It's their highest defense and if you graze the duration of the spell is halved. It's better to use CC that targets the will defense (if you have). 

Secondly I dont bother with Ogres until about level 8 or 9 for that reason.  They are beefy and your DPS is not good enough to kill them quickly until then.  That being said I have done the bounty and level 3 of the Paths at lvl 5 and 6 using a lot of CC targeting Will defenses as Boer mentioned.

Have gun will travel.

Might be the Wind Blights they summon -or- maybe they occasionally come grouped with those wood ladies?

I think I made a mistake in letting the game auto-scale encounters in Act III....

Slicken + Chill fog + Binding web + AOE spam solves every kind of druid problems. It's like the dweller bounty. If you let him spam plague of insects and menpgwra's maggots you are dead. If you have a wizard and a druid on your party is easier. Maw's & Slicken just before the prone effect ends and spam all the AOE damaging spells you have. 

It's a general rule with every AI caster. If you don't disable them first, they disable your party and you lose.

Yup that Elmshore encounter is tough... Might be best to level up and come back later to stomp on them. But as people have said, cc is your friend. Slicken is great, as is a barbarian with a weapon that inflicts prone. Having a druid of your own with moonwell and relentless storm and calling the worlds maw also helps. Just make sure to debuff them before you cc.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

And as I said: charm! Confuse/dominate also work wonders. It's quite easy with a wizard + confuse, a cipher with all sorts of mind control and so on. Charmed Ogres will get destroyed by Plague of Insects & stuff, too.

• Like 1

And as I said: charm! Confuse/dominate also work wonders. It's quite easy with a wizard + confuse, a cipher with all sorts of mind control and so on. Charmed Ogres will get destroyed by Plague of Insects & stuff, too.

Even better, if you charm Ogre Druids they will often use Plague of Insects on their former allies  :devil:

I don't like Charm/Dominate at all, to be honest.

Because for some reason the enemy just likes to cuddle up next to my party as if they were summoned pets/ranger companions - which results in them getting a free pass past my frontline to my squishies when they do turn hostile again...

EDIT: Plus, there are plenty of bugs with your buffs lingering on them afterwards - my party killed Edér in a split second because of a ex-Charmed/Dominated enemy retained his "Take The Hit" protection, lol.

Edited by Pallegina's Panties

Upscaled Ogres in Elmshore are awesome.  A real challenge.

I've had a lot of success with:

- Open battle with one of a few spells:

* Aloth: Confuse (!!!), Slicken, ShadowFlame.  All three are money

* Grieving Mother: Mind Wave.  Followed by at least one Whispers of Treason.

* Durance: Accuracy booster (either Devotions or Inspired Radiance) followed by Empowered Interdiction (Weakened is huge)

* Hiravias: Returning/Relentless Storm, Tanglefoot, Calling the Worlds Maw, Plague of Insects

If you have 2-3 of the above and get your spells off, the encounter is much easier.  

FWIW, Suppress Affliction temporarily suppresses the Plague of Insects, albeit very short time.

Edited by bigwillystyle

And Liberating Exhortation suppresses plague for a long time but just on a single character. Use it on your Low HP chars so they don't get killed.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 2

Have gun will travel.