What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Old thread here.

Last few posts:

Hmm.  And for the latest teasers from ComicCon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaEUhfMUKQ

It is the 20th anniversary of Stargate: SG-1, and MGM had a surprise for fans of the show at SDCC–they are working on a brand new series starring the daughter of the archaeologist who unearthed the first of Earth’s Stargates, young Catherine Langford.

Fans of the show recall that little Catherine was on the site of the archaeological dig where her father found the gate, and she remained its guardian over the years as various groups decided what to do with it. But it turns out that Catherine had a few secret adventures of her own….

Of course, there will have to be an explanation as to how the gate became viable back then without the help of Daniel Jackson’s translation and a DHD, but that’s a problem for the show to unravel in earnest. And the idea of Catherine Langford having her own Stargate adventure is pretty neat. According to the information released at SDCC, Catherine must “go on an adventure in order to save the Earth from terrifying darkness.”

Stargate Origins will be be offered via a dedicated MGM streaming service called Stargate Command, a brand new platform set to showcase all Stargate-related content, including behind-the-scenes material. Official word from Kevin Conroy, president of digital platforms at MGM, brings more information:

Stargate Command will be available as a streaming service starting this fall. Stargate Origins is set to be a ten-episode series, written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry and directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan. No word yet on who will be playing Catherine Langford, or what over-arching plot of the show will entail.

“We’ve been eager to revisit the ‘Stargate’ franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure. We view ‘Stargate Origins’ as a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with ‘Stargate Origins.’”

This sounds dumb as hell, imo. I don't mind them making a new spin-off tv show, but this reads like a real crap idea that is forced to contradict established lore.

Hmm.  And for the latest teasers from ComicCon..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaEUhfMUKQ

It is the 20th anniversary of Stargate: SG-1, and MGM had a surprise for fans of the show at SDCC–they are working on a brand new series starring the daughter of the archaeologist who unearthed the first of Earth’s Stargates, young Catherine Langford.

Fans of the show recall that little Catherine was on the site of the archaeological dig where her father found the gate, and she remained its guardian over the years as various groups decided what to do with it. But it turns out that Catherine had a few secret adventures of her own….

Of course, there will have to be an explanation as to how the gate became viable back then without the help of Daniel Jackson’s translation and a DHD, but that’s a problem for the show to unravel in earnest. And the idea of Catherine Langford having her own Stargate adventure is pretty neat. According to the information released at SDCC, Catherine must “go on an adventure in order to save the Earth from terrifying darkness.”

Stargate Origins will be be offered via a dedicated MGM streaming service called Stargate Command, a brand new platform set to showcase all Stargate-related content, including behind-the-scenes material. Official word from Kevin Conroy, president of digital platforms at MGM, brings more information:

Stargate Command will be available as a streaming service starting this fall. Stargate Origins is set to be a ten-episode series, written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry and directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan. No word yet on who will be playing Catherine Langford, or what over-arching plot of the show will entail.

“We’ve been eager to revisit the ‘Stargate’ franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure. We view ‘Stargate Origins’ as a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with ‘Stargate Origins.’”

This sounds dumb as hell, imo. I don't mind them making a new spin-off tv show, but this reads like a real crap idea that is forced to contradict established lore.

• Like 14

Fortune favors the bald.

And looks like Downton Abbey won't be able to use the railway station for the season...  

BBC - Downton Abbey railway carriages ruined by vandals

Sounds like a bunch of idiots smashed up all the windows on the heritage carriages, then decided to set off all fire extinguishers to ruin the furniture and wall fittings inside them.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

GOT S7E2: Wow. That battle scene to end the episode had to be the most embarrassing one. Build up the Sand Snakes for this? I mena it is clear the show didn't know what to do with that entire plotline. EMBARASSING for all involved. I guess Euron as the Big Bad Plot Armour now? LMAO

The rest of the episode ranged from okay to good but that scene was beyond FUBAR.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

GOT S7E2: Wow. That battle scene to end the episode had to be the most embarrassing one. Build up the Sand Snakes for this? I mena it is clear the show didn't know what to do with that entire plotline. EMBARASSING for all involved. I guess Euron as the Big Bad Plot Armour now? LMAO

The rest of the episode ranged from okay to good but that scene was beyond FUBAR.

So ends the whole Dorne thing which is important and interesting in the books but a total throwaway in the TV show.

On another note it was awfully nice of Nymeria to save the CGI budget by opting not to follow Arya. I guess even if she did she would be hanging out with Ghost (remember him?) wherever the hell he's been since the third episode of last season. The direwolves were another important thing from the book and a throwaway on the TV show. 

Speaking of the CGI budget I wonder where the dragons got off to? Air support might have been a big help when sailing blind in waters you have no intelligence on. Just a thought.

Prediction: next week Theon gets picked up by a bearded and skinny Gendry still rowing in circles trying for find Kings Landing after 3 years.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So for the utterly random thought from someone who gave up on the books and has only skimmed the tv show, what are the odds that Daenerys and Jon Snow end up together to unite the 7 Kingdoms, and use dragon fire to help defeat certain wintery beings?

So for the utterly random thought from someone who gave up on the books and has only skimmed the tv show, what are the odds that Daenerys and Jon Snow end up together to unite the 7 Kingdoms, and use dragon fire to help defeat certain wintery beings?

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Ramsay Snow

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Ramsay Snow

I never said that would end happily.. ;)

Actually Jon is related to everyone the fans want to see him matched up with so even if it happens there is an ick factor to it.

Thomas Sowell

Okay to good? Okay to good?! Naked Missandei was nothing less than glorious!!1

• Like 4

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Actually Jon is related to everyone the fans want to see him matched up with so even if it happens there is an ick factor to it.

Well that's never stopped the Targaryens before (or any other royalty in the history of ever).

The bad parts about this episodes were the obvious things. Like GD already said, Nymeria didn't tag along to save a bit on the CGI budget, probably for the big dragon battle at the end of the season, Arya is starring - again - on Westerosi Road Trip: Now With Snow and Euron has inherited Ramsay's plot armor, but at least he's wearing armor and not fighting with a bare chest.

Oh, and yeah, Dany needed an early defeat that now leaves her in a bit of a bind on Dragonstone, with the Unsullied off to Casterly Rock. Oh my. Bet she sure wishes she'd listened to her bitch queen council and not Tyrion.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Euron's really hamming it up big time. He's not just chewing the scenery but the plate, mantle and table along with it. What a woefully pantomime performance. That scene overall felt like a major setback in the overall story too, with Theon reverting back to his cowardly self, the Dorne side left completely up in the air for reasons that seem closer to convenience than anything, all in all just a sour taste in the mouth. Other than that, the Nymeria thing didn't bother me much - doesn't she say it wasn't Nymeria in the end? The purpose as I see it is that Arya's remembering why this all mattered in the first place and is slowly becoming Arya Stark again instead of a "girl with no name" - which is fine, I can dig it as part of her ongoing 'hero's journey'. Grey Worm's scene with Missandei was certainly a highlight, it's wonderful to see his emotions bursting through his usually stoic and hardened persona - all of which unfortunately makes me think he won't survive the siege to Casterly Rock. Samwell's plotline is suddenly the most interesting it's been in ages, probably in no small part thanks to Jim Broadbent, and Fit Kit continues to impress in his growth as an actor since his very early days in Season 1 as arguably the worst link of the cast. Varys' scene was also quite nice. Generally a pretty good episode for me marred by an ill-conceived and poorly executed final sequence.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It is Nymeria. What Arya means that  she has changed since they last saw each other 9way back in S1). So, Nymeria going back to Winterfell with Arya doesn't make sense. The parallel is now Arya has to decide if going back home to WF is the best thing for her or decide if she's (Arya) has changed too much to go back home.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

probably in no small part thanks to Jim Broadbent

There's something wrong with my brain. Every time I see Sam and Archmaester Marwyn I keep wondering when Marwyn invites him to the Slug Marv Club or yelling "Samwell! I must insist you accompany me back to the castle citadel immediately!" if he finds him with Gilly or someplace he's not supposed to be.

That applies to most Harry Potter actors though. When Dumbledore showed up in one of Doctor Who's christmas specials I kept being weirded out through the entire episode.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

probably in no small part thanks to Jim Broadbent

There's something wrong with my brain. Every time I see Sam and Archmaester Marwyn I keep wondering when Marwyn invites him to the Slug Marv Club or yelling "Samwell! I must insist you accompany me back to the castle citadel immediately!" if he finds him with Gilly or someplace he's not supposed to be.

That applies to most Harry Potter actors though. When Dumbledore showed up in one of Doctor Who's christmas specials I kept being weirded out through the entire episode.

I'm curious as to your reaction of Gambon in The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover. :p

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

"GOT S7E2: Wow. That battle scene to end the episode had to be the most embarrassing one. Build up the Sand Snakes for this? I mena it is clear the show didn't know what to do with that entire plotline. EMBARASSING for all involved. I guess Euron as the Big Bad Plot Armour now? LMAO"

can't wait for the Mountain dungeon scenes next week

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

How is it even possible to sneak up this close with such huge ships. It's like they are blind on purpose.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

How is it even possible to sneak up this close with such huge ships. It's like they are blind on purpose.

A lack of radar?

Possibly the whole dark and foggy night and the ships slipping up happen to be painted dark colours to blend in with the sea? Night blindness from the ships watchmen who are all stood around next to lights on the ships?

Plus...the all important.. Plot-Reasons!

spoilers:

They are in too much of hurry this season and the Ironborn storyline is suffering for it - building that many ships that fast - the Kraken axe, using Carracks for ramming - the cannonball catapults. All of them signs that the writers are busy getting to the next 'cool' moment, rather than building up proper suspense. Which is what actually makes story culminations awesome.

Having Euron hunt them with a much smaller fleet, out- thinking, flanking and maneuvering them, would work so much better. Also for establishing him as a character to fear.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm giving Euron the benefit of the doubt, but my patience is wearing a bit thin. I'm hopeful because the actor emphasizes that Euron is someone different for every situation. Now he was a screaming, intimidating pirate. With Cersei he was a confident rock-star. When killing Balon he was stoic. When he confronted Theon and Arya alone, he was a serial killer. With the Ironborn at the Kingsmoot he was the ultimate expression of the Ironborn way of life. When he faced Theon, he channeled the provoking nature of Ramsay Snow, who never forbid Theon from stuff, he just provoked him into making mistakes to forcefully punish him. The problem is, he always seems a bit thuggish while doing so too, and that makes him seem more one-note. So I'm hoping we'll see some more different sides to him, and that they go a bit into his history as the most feared pirate, the myth of him being the only one to sail beyond the known sea and coming back, and his reputation as something of a magician/warlock that he has in the book.