Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4550 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
When it's not shot in 3d, as I undestand it, someone has to go back and digitally manipulate each image to create the depth field.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4454 posts

Stupid gimmick in any case. 

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The only good 2D -> 3D conversion I've seen is Lion King 3D,

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1355 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The male lead actor is woefully miscast.

I really do not understand their choice here at all - Valérian is a little old and more of a classic sci-fi cowboy, who relies on his quick-draw and smooth talker skills to get him out of trouble. With Laureline being the actual competent one of the two.

While I have respect for DeHaan in some of his other roles, he's way too young and the role was written much more like a renegade Commander Shephard. Didn't fit the source material at all.

as i said elsewhere, the trailer for this turned me away. i knew nothing of the original comic when i saw the trailer. i heard of it in passing in reviews of the movie but this opinion is what i formed just from the trailer, before i even knew there was source material.

the trailer shows 2 unknown characters that look to be in their late teens be the top special agents of a federation of 1000 civilizations. a federation that big yet unable to defend itself from a threat that can end it in just 12 hours and somehow, these 2 teenagers are supposed to be capable of finding and eliminating that threat. the premise itself is outlandish, considering we do not deal with established and known characters (and world) from whom we know what to expect. so a 2 hour film they need to cram in all we need to know about the characters and all we need to know about the world they live in just to make a plot that is based on an outlandish premise feel coherent. and so the question comes naturally to mind "with all that, where will they find the time to fit a compelling story in all this", followed instantly by the scene of the 2 flirting on the beach which just sends the answer "they can't, this will be a bad film with no substance".

and the reviews i've seen seem to confirm it

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4550 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Funnily enough, neither lead is played by a teen, nor are the characters supposed to be teens in context of the story.

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This looks lovely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users