Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

Terminator

Terminator

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts

Please note actually it is weeks ago I did see this in the movie theatres in Finland, but I have been so busy with other real life issues so now writing this feedback.

Wonder Woman 3D (2017)

+ Gal Gadot main actress playing Wonder Worman. She is very beautiful and she is former Miss Israel the most beautiful woman in Israel! She is 10+ years

older in this movie from the date she won Miss Israel title (she won at very young adult age), but looks very beautiful indeed! It's not only that she is training

martial arts for real and I have gotten silver medal in Tae Kwon do at 17 years age (none adults local tournament with 16 participiants that I competed against)

and I do know she can martial arts for real!

+ I liked the main male hero actor.

+ Well there is some kind of background story.

+ It is serious enough you can not guess easily exactly how it is going to end like in Smallville TV Series where you always know that the main actor will survive.

+ The Brittish and the Germans in World War I. A moron wrote about NAZIS in IMDB review. There existed no nazis in World War 1, but Germany started also

World War 1.

+ There are some slightly fun scenes.

+ Interesting time historically seeing how it was etc.

+ Adventure, Action, Drama, War, Scifi (unrealistic) whatever you want to rate it as, but I liked it!

Neutral: WARNING SPOILER

Spoiler

Neutral: The main actor seems smart enough for sure, but yet I find that while ok that he did not fit this role perfectly. I would have preferred to

have that (not spoling if male or female) actor to be in this movie, but perhaps a different role and having main villain role played by another actor.

- Realism. Well this is after all a superhero movie a la marvel. If you want super realistic movie perhaps you should stick to other movies.

My Vote: 9.25/1O Excellent!

This is the best movie I have seen in movie theatres during year 2016-2017.

Best movie I have ever seen? No I have actually voted 10/10 for some movies, but that is very rare.

Edited by Terminator, 29 July 2017 - 07:21 AM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Atomic Blonde - Entertaining movie. Theron was solid and she got better as the movie went on. McAvoy (he played the main bad guy right?) was total garbage. Completely unbelievable.  And, the music? Wow. They were rbagging about the awesomeness of it but outside of the last song near the end, the music was pure  awfulness pulling me out of the movie every time it played. Pure ****. I docked a couple of points simply because of the garbage music. 6/10

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Currently #1 amidst 2017's films at Metacritic, and the trailer is quite lovely. Looking forward to it.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Den of Geek - A tribute to The Man Who Haunted Himself : Roger Moore's finest hour

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It may be his finest hour, but what about the other 29 minutes of the film? :p

Its a fun film if you don't get too distracted by Moore's mustache.

• Raithe likes this

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

While waiting on Hollywood to sort things out...

Sandman short gets fan made movie

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6822 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I just got back from Atomic Blonde.  Solid spy action movie.  Charlize Theron was great, as per usual.  James McAvoy poured the dirtbag routine on a bit too thick to keep the suspense up, so the twists were a bit predictable.  Still not a terrible plot, just nothing special.  The star of the show was the action, particularly the fight scenes, which were Wickian (on par with John Wick [very much a compliment]).  There is one rather lengthy fight sequence in particular which is all types of rad and super duper brutal.  They definitely left it open to a sequel, and I hope they make it a franchise (they probably will if it makes money, everyone is trying to make everything into a franchise these days) as I'm very much down with Charlize Theron as a super badass action hero. 

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Watched the Dark Tower over the weekend.

Truth in Advertising, I had an unrevised version of the Gunslinger (from 1988) and was never able to get into it so never really paid much attention to the Dark Tower other than reading musings about how all of King's other work fit in.

Its sort of a throwback action film; classical structure, classical story beats.  Its not a ground breaking spectacle (which, for fans, may be enough to break the film for their enjoyment) but I thought it was a film that succeeded at its mild ambitions.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7243 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I had an unrevised version of the Gunslinger (from 1988) and was never able to get into it so never really paid much attention to the Dark Tower other than reading musings about how all of King's other work fit in.

similar experience.  back in the late 80s we were kinda shocked to realize we enjoyed a couple king short stories, and so a friend loaned us the gunslinger. couldn't get past the first 60 pages after multiple attempts.  never finished a king novel, but am thinking a few o' his short stories is actual underrated by the new yorker crowd.

HA! Good Fun!

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6822 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Steam:Keyrock

I loved the Dark Tower series many years ago (back when it was still 7 books, rather than 8 ), but I wonder how well it translates to movies ? (judging by the reviews, not very well)  It might work better as a TV series as the books are very much a slow burn.  I mean, there are certainly moments of intense action, but overall it's a very slow moving epic that spans a very long time with long periods of downtime.  Purposely so, there is very much a point to it being an extremely long and tedious journey.

Edited by Keyrock, 07 August 2017 - 02:02 PM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7030 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Finally saw Wonder Woman, was alright, nothing too amazing.  Found the fight scenes kind of meh for the most part, but wasn't a boring watch..  Had a feeling I knew the guy who played Sameer, he was in the music video for Gunman's World.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ive read the Dark Tower books a few times and love them still today, but yeah, sometimes King is just way, way, way too wordy. Last few times I read the books, I simply skipped all the boring and longwinded parts... which in the end made it a much shorter experience... but a better one. I think he really needed a good editor to cut all the overflow.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ive read the Dark Tower books a few times and love them still today, but yeah, sometimes King is just way, way, way too wordy. Last few times I read the books, I simply skipped all the boring and longwinded parts... which in the end made it a much shorter experience... but a better one. I think he really needed a good editor to cut all the overflow.

Overflow doesn't really cut it I think. Wizard and Glass is 800 pages of backstory for what's worth maybe a hundred pages of useful history and Wolves of the Calla is a 700 page retelling of The Magnificent Seven (down to the characters joking that the plot it feels like The Magnificent Seven) with the only purpose to have the party split up at the end.

I liked the two books on their own but in terms of fitting into the Dark Tower story King could easily have fused them into a 300 page gap filler between Blaine (who rhymes with Pain!) and Susannah giving birth without missing anything.

edit:

And to think he actually released another book with backstory for everyone who didn't have enough of it during Wizard & Glass.

Edited by majestic, 08 August 2017 - 12:54 PM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8753 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Re: IT the new film

The trailer would have me believe the movie will have better creepy atmosphere than the mini-series (not hard to do, really). I liked the mini-series ok (the spider-IT was poorly done, tho), especially the children's sections, but I don't mind new adaptations of it either. That said, I always have reservations about King film adaptations of his long novels, simply because of length. King's short stories or novella's usually transfer to film better. Maybe if they made it a two-movie type of film thing. I'd rather wish for a new mini-series, like Netflix doing it, or HBO, or Amazon, or whoever.

And for me, young Stuttering Bill will always be Jonathan Brandis (RIP). I thought he was perfect casting back when. The kid in the film trailer doesn't appeal to me at all.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The new IT film is only the kids story from the book; the story of the adults will not be told in this film.  In a way its probably the best way to pare the novel down for a singular film.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2404 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

Re: IT the new film

The trailer would have me believe the movie will have better creepy atmosphere than the mini-series (not hard to do, really). I liked the mini-series ok (the spider-IT was poorly done, tho), especially the children's sections, but I don't mind new adaptations of it either. That said, I always have reservations about King film adaptations of his long novels, simply because of length. King's short stories or novella's usually transfer to film better. Maybe if they made it a two-movie type of film thing. I'd rather wish for a new mini-series, like Netflix doing it, or HBO, or Amazon, or whoever.

And for me, young Stuttering Bill will always be Jonathan Brandis (RIP). I thought he was perfect casting back when. The kid in the film trailer doesn't appeal to me at all.

The producers said the trailers mostly used takes of Stuttering Bill unused in the film, because the stutter could ruin the flow of the trailer. Weird, but that's what they said.

Jaeden Liebenher's actually a pretty good kid actor though. I saw him in Aloha (**** film) and Playing it Cool (an actually good romcom) and he was good in both. I'm more excited about Finn Wolfhard as Richie though - perfect casting. That kid is hilarious.

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3246 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Finally got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Entertaining, amusing. Treads the boards between being campy space pulp adventure with dashes of serious emotion and philosophy hidden in the background.

Do kind of wonder why Stallone rated opening credits since he was basically a cameo - who, okay, had like 3 brief scenes in the total film. Was caught out by Michelle Yeoh's cameo, a nd the voice of Miley Cyrus?

Of course, I've now got the GotG Inferno song stuck in my head on loop.

Katphood

Katphood

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1676 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Would love to see T2 in 3D.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 592 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Would love to see T2 in 3D.

I don't know if I should be excited to finally see a good Terminator movie at the theatre again or annoyed with the obvious cash grab.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wait, how do they turn the 2d movie into 3d? Some cheap trickery or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users