Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Considering my first attempt to play

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sup All 

I haven't  played this game yet but I have had the boxset for ages, is it worth it and what is the overall view?

Is there a gaming manual or datasheet around rules ?

Torm51

Torm51

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Its the best RPG (for me) that I have ever played.  If you played Old school Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale you will be right at home.  If you fire up the game there is an extensive journal in game that explains a lot.  

• BruceVC likes this

rheingold

rheingold

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Jeepers, you haven't played Pillars yet! Colour me surprised. I'm biased but it's one of the best games I've played. The white March expansion is great too. Not aware of any manuals or documentation but you've played plenty games so I reckon you'll pick it up quickly.
Might be worth hanging around the build forum there are some knowledgeable and helpful gents there.
  • BruceVC likes this

draego

draego

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The wiki is not completely out of date. I know its not totally accurate but you can get some general info there. And if we are answering you on a forum for game that is over 2 years old i am pretty sure we all think its great.  :yes:. One of my favorites. Take the builds with a grain of salt. Most are min maxed and it is complete unnecessary to do so especially if playing in something below POTD. Skills, talents, and equipment can be more important than Attributes so dont sweat it if you get to worried about it.

Rule 1: Ignore all Npc's whose name background is Yellow. These are all kickstarter backer content and so if you are into it go for it but it has nothing to do with the story. 

Otherwise go for it.

Edited by draego, 17 July 2017 - 02:10 PM.

• BruceVC likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Read the manual, play the game, figure it out as you go. The most fun way.

• Torm51 likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Its the best RPG (for me) that I have ever played.  If you played Old school Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale you will be right at home.  If you fire up the game there is an extensive journal in game that explains a lot.  

I didnt play BG1 but BG2 was the  best RPG  I have ever played, I did play IWD1 and it was great....not excellent but great :)

Jeepers, you haven't played Pillars yet! Colour me surprised. I'm biased but it's one of the best games I've played. The white March expansion is great too. Not aware of any manuals or documentation but you've played plenty games so I reckon you'll pick it up quickly.
Might be worth hanging around the build forum there are some knowledgeable and helpful gents there.

It seems strange to have not played POE yet, I agree...better late than never I suppose  :teehee:

I normally wait till the first or second  patch to be released than I play, in this case it appears I fell victim to an artful  Time Elemental and after he manipulated the time stream it appears I am still waiting for those patches...what year is it ?  :biggrin:

The wiki is not completely out of date. I know its not totally accurate but you can get some general info there. And if we are answering you on a forum for game that is over 2 years old i am pretty sure we all think its great.  :yes:. One of my favorites. Take the builds with a grain of salt. Most are min maxed and it is complete unnecessary to do so especially if playing in something below POTD. Skills, talents, and equipment can be more important than Attributes so dont sweat it if you get to worried about it.

Rule 1: Ignore all Npc's whose name background is Yellow. These are all kickstarter backer content and so if you are into it go for it but it has nothing to do with the story. 

Otherwise go for it.

Thanks for the helpful tips  :geek:

• rheingold likes this

ColeTrain9192

ColeTrain9192

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Steam:ColeTrain1034
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'll throw in my two cents, even though others have answered pretty sufficiently. First of all this game is really incredible. There's really nothing like it. Yes, it's very similar to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. but those games all came out around 20 years ago. Taking those same mechanics and updating them to the modern age is something that only Pillars can boast. And with Deadfire coming out in the next year, you'll definitely want to hop on at the ground level. The sequel promises to be one of the best cRPGs we've seen, maybe ever.

Personally, I'm not fond of guides. If you really think it will be too complicated for you to pick up on your own, feel free to read some online guides, but there's a pretty extensive Cyclopedia in-game that explains the mechanics, not to mention pop-up tutorial messages. And there's something extremely rewarding about mastering the system yourself and using it the way you want to. But if you do use a guide, check the date. A lot of the guides people use frequently were made around the games release in 2015, but there was a major update, not long after, that changed the way a lot of Attributes work, so many guides are outdated and will have you building characters that just don't make sense anymore. My advice would just be to read the character creation screens thoroughly and apply the information they give you to the best of your ability.

Enjoy! It's really a magnificent experience!

• BruceVC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users