This game was not ready for release

dereks16

Question

I've encounter SOOOOO many bugs. Did anyone even playtest this before launching?

Many hours lost when I'm near end of an adventure and all the sudden some action is triggered where there is no way to progress? Ya I could report the bugs, but I don't wanna waste my time reporting your litany of bugs, I want my hours of time back I spent playing missions that I ultimately had to forfeit because the game broke. I've never ever played a game before that had so many issues that literally stopped your progress and forced you to essentially turn it off. 

6 answers to this question

I'd like to make the neutral statement that a great deal of these bugs existed prior to the PC release/patch, as can be seen in numerous threads from before that date (including my thread stating upwards of 30 bugs, some gamebreaking, posted within the last month before the PC release). Furthermore, the patch notes never suggested that many of these had been fixed, and from as little of a day of release there were new threads popping up of bugs.

Some forum checking would have highlighted the faults/bugs in the game, I feel.

I think the fact that a lot of these bugs have been around for so long is shocking. I've stopped playing for now and just check here to see if there is an update from the devs regarding getting the bug numbers down  .... I don't mind supporting the devs by reporting bugs ... which I was doing .... but there's just way too many ..... started feeling like a playtester rather than a player :(

Having been around for a couple of big patches, it also seems that major updates occasionally will have some new code that unintentionally nullifies fixes for old bugs.  I think more than once I've seen reports of bugs returning that way.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm guessing OP probably isn't coming back, but if he does, the community could probably lend some insight in how to avoid whatever problems keep occurring.  It has been a while since I last remember the game providing hours of frustration.  The biggest problem right now seems to be users with old/corrupted data that prevents the game from even starting.

Nobody is trying to make excuses for the existence of bugs, but between the 3-month closed beta, and the last year of mobile release (the "open beta" ;)), many of the remaining issues are fairly well-understood at this point.

Yes, it's been quiet in the forums lately, but now that the flurry of hot-fixes is out of the way, I've got to imagine that the devs are busy prepping for the next semi-major patch and pulling Legendary QA runs for the coming Rise of the Goblins ADG1.

• Like 2

An insightful post, but with all due respect...

If there's a need for a community led effort to demonstrate and teach newcomers "Here is how to avoid most of the gamebreaking bugs" and "Don't do this in case this happens" and "If you encounter this interface issue or bugged mechanic just do this", then I would argue the game is inherently hostile to newcomers. Bugs that are well-understood by existing community members are still just bugs to the eyes of a new player, and telling them "Oh that's been around for years; just do this little trick instead" isn't necessarily a convincing selling point when you're implying how long they've gone without a fix.

• Like 1

If there's a need for a community led effort to demonstrate and teach newcomers "Here is how to avoid most of the gamebreaking bugs" and "Don't do this in case this happens" and "If you encounter this interface issue or bugged mechanic just do this", then I would argue the game is inherently hostile to newcomers.

Completely agree.  Bugs aren't like classic cars.  I can't think of any issues that have improved with age. *cough* passing on boon checks instead of having to roll *cough cough*

Workarounds are just as frustrating as the issues they solve.  I'd rather the community get back to month-long debates on trivial matters (like what happens when Lini plays an animal ally at the farm house) than trying to help users parse out expected vs. actual vs. rules-legal behaviors.  

Broken is broken.  Old broken is still broken.  But if a user strolls into the forum looking for assistance, I'd like to think that the community might be able to help them out until a patch gets crafted instead of watching them leave and never come back.  

Community engagement is something I've always liked about the Pathfinder ACG.  There's no such thing as a stupid question when it probably has a half-dozen different, yet equally interesting, answers.

• Like 2