Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

After PoE and Tyranny, you want to see what kind of fantasy settings that Obsidian create?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
A late 1800's CoC set in England dealing with iconic monsters of black n white horror films. Easy to die in CoC fashion and make it turn based.
I'm always starving for a cyberpunkish rpg as well.

Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Modern urban fantasy would be my top choice followed by some historical setting that'sn't middle ages Europe

Yeah, I'll second this. We need more good urban fantasy in our computer games. :)

• ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yeah, Secret World missed the mark and Shadow Realms missed the mark so badly it was cancelled

Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To be fair, I do enjoy The Secret World (and its successor, Secret World Legends). I know nothing about Shadow Realms.

I guess for some variety of urban fantasy there's the Shadowrun games (Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong) although they're cyberpunk mixed with urban fantasy.

Is there anything else?

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6639 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Yeah, Secret World missed the mark and Shadow Realms missed the mark so badly it was cancelled

The Secret World has a fantastic premise and the best writing I've ever seen in a MMO.  It's too bad it also has mind-numbingly boring gameplay.

• ShadySands and anameforobsidian like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Shadow Realms is/was a cancelled BioWare (Austin?) 4v1 co-op ARPG that had a pretty cool promo campaign. I checked out of that one when they announced it was going to be a 4v1 multiplayer game but I guess the actual game wasn't that good either.

https://www.unseen64...s-cancelled-pc/

MeteorBear

MeteorBear

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Thirty Years Wars set in an apocalyptic future from the perspective of the Catholic Church.

Edited by MeteorBear, 10 July 2017 - 07:27 PM.

• eimatshya and Harry Easter like this

btsam

btsam

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

Cyberpunk is also a good option.

If them want to do urban fantasy theme,I believe that World of Darkness is a good reference object. :yes:

Urban fantasy can make fantasy elements and realistic events combined,or direct use of the urban legend.I will enjoy playing a paladin in the village of Texas to chase chupacabra, or a ranger at the Canadian border against wendigo. :yes:

Edited by btsam, 11 July 2017 - 12:19 AM.

• Androoh likes this

Androoh

Androoh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

I'd like something cyberpunk-esque myself.

Anything like Shadowrun: Dragonfall or Shadowrun: Hong Kong would be good. 

• Harry Easter likes this

Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Cyberpunk is also a good option.

If them want to do urban fantasy theme,I believe that World of Darkness is a good reference object. :yes:

Urban fantasy can make fantasy elements and realistic events combined,or direct use of the urban legend.I will enjoy playing a paladin in the village of Texas to chase chupacabra, or a ranger at the Canadian border against wendigo. :yes:

So the lead story guy at White Wolf absolutely hates urban fantasy, or at least hates the idea of the World of Darkness being urban fantasy. I don't know what this will mean for any computer games set in the World of Darkness. I do know a Werewolf computer game is in the works, however.

• Azdeus likes this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
what is urban fantasy?

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 687 posts

what is urban fantasy?

A classic fantasy elements and tropes placed in modern urban setting.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Double Post, sorry.

Edited by Harry Easter, 11 July 2017 - 08:05 AM.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Thirty Years Wars set in an apocalyptic future from the perspective of the Catholic Church.

Awesome.

With Pillars we have kind of a historic setting, so I would like to see how Obsidian would far with Sci-Fi or Steampunk. Or Vampires, combined with Sci-Fi maybe   8) .

Sandro G Meier

Sandro G Meier

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts

A Dawn of the Civilization period setting (early Sumerian Culture Style,The 'Creator' still could be contacted, mix with some Cthulhu elements maybe...)

and Also a Dune like setting (Sand-covered planet, several space noble houses , Galaxy Empire/emperor, and of course not forget the sandworm :p )

last I would say is the Planet of Apes setting (Yep, the protagonists must be those apes)

Edited by Sandro G Meier, 11 July 2017 - 09:04 AM.

• eimatshya likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Anything that isn't fantasy.

anything is gonna be fantasy. an obsidian crpg is gonna allow a player to control a character (or characters) for whom the impossible is gonna be routine.  whatever setting obsidian chooses for their games is gonna be a fantasy, 'cause even if is set in 1980s LA or 1920s chicago, the extraordinary will become commonplace. any such game is gonna be fantasy.

the genre labels were invented by publishers of pulp magazines during the early 20th century.  sci-fi on the periodical cover were a simple way to let folks know stories within would include stuff such as ray guns and aliens, while fantasy meant there would be dragons and wizards. 'course even the earliest genre writers ignored the silly labels and went ahead and wrote kewl stories.  a princess of mars

is arguable all fiction is fantasy, but regardless am thinking it should be obvious all obsidian crpgs will be fantasy.

gonna limit self to choices we consider to be economic viable for a developer such as obsidian. nothing too wacky.  a john carpenter thing crpg, which could be fun with expanded faction battles in antarctica, is unlikely to ever be developed. however, two settings we think of as genuine plausible is:

1) american civil war and/or early post civil war weird west with coexisting steampunk and magic.

and

2) gaiman's graveyard book.

doesn't need actual be graveyard book, but am thinking a game predominant set in famous and beautiful graveyards 'round the world would be nifty and unique.  sure, the catacombs and environments beneath the crpg graveyards would be extensive and largely imaginary, but there is many graveyards 'round the world which would be ideal locales for a kinda quasi-horror crpg.

oh, and gaiman's man-jacks are a fabulous villainous faction.

graveyard2_540_custom-2d036eb1811d091e2f

in any event, is a déjà vécu thread, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 11 July 2017 - 08:44 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That sounds a bit like Neverwhere (1966). I wouldn't mind a setting based on some of Neil Gaiman's modern fantasy works.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Steampunk or Cyberpunk. Maybe a prehistoric setting.... something with lots of dinosaurs, giant insects and the likes would be cool. Of course race cars.

Edited by SonicMage117, 11 July 2017 - 08:31 AM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That sounds a bit like Neverwhere (1996). I wouldn't mind a setting based on some of Neil Gaiman's modern fantasy works.

fixed

feargus urquhart has mentioned the neverwhere setting as one which interests him.

HA! Good Fun!

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

One word: Wuxia.

I'm pretty convinced Tyranny is wuxia in spirit. The archons all have unique powers specific to the individual, along with a 'power level' hierarchy. These are common tropes in wuxia movies and books. Where Jade Empire focused on the martial arts, Tyranny is like the other half of the wuxia equation, emphasizing fantastical elements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users