Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Five man party ? idk... let's discuss

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A party of 5 is obviously less powerful than a party of 6, which is less powerful than a party of 7, which is less powerful than a party of 8, which is less powerful than aprty of 9, which is...................................................................................................................................., which is less powerful than a standard army.

There's more to it than just numbers. Look up combined arms tactics some time. The whole can be stronger than the sum of its parts. Larger numbers allow more sophisticated tactics, which makes combat more interesting... and challenging.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

" I am obviously unhappy that the game has already predetermined exactly who is going to be in my party first playthrough."

It hasn't, only your mental compulsions.

Don't you know? Obsidian put a gun to his head and told him how to role his opening party ;)

Look, I do sympathize with the guys who just want to roll MOAR characters, but look on the bright-side: replay value! 

Wormerine

Wormerine

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A party of 5 is obviously less powerful than a party of 6, which is less powerful than a party of 7, which is less powerful than a party of 8, which is less powerful than aprty of 9, which is...................................................................................................................................., which is less powerful than a standard army.

There's more to it than just numbers. Look up combined arms tactics some time. The whole can be stronger than the sum of its parts. Larger numbers allow more sophisticated tactics, which makes combat more interesting... and challenging.

I agree. But I am not sure it applies to PoE as it is. The positioning, movement and tactics has never really been a big part of this genre (and I wish it would be.) In the end it is all about rolls, statistic and exploiting weaknesses of your opponents, while fortyfing your defences against attacks of your enemies. There is little opportunity for maneuvering, outthinking enemies or winning against the odds. Buffup/focus DPS/healers/tanks. That is pretty much all there is to it. I just don't see how one character less will change it, except they might be one less DPS to kill on enemy team, or less enemies so one tank can lock them up instead of two. That's really it.

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

and your point is? so what should be the magic number for a standard army then? based on older games the standard number has always been 6. so what makes 5 a better number and not 4, or 3 or 2 or 1? ;)

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1211 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

and your point is? so what should be the magic number for a standard army then? based on older games the standard number has always been 6. so what makes 5 a better number and not 4, or 3 or 2 or 1? ;)

My point is that there is no magic number for best party number. Many people here say that 5 will be worst than 6 because Pillars 1 was playd with 6. But Deadfire is designed around 5 so I believe it won't matter. And at the end, we can't talk about it untill we playtest it.

There is no magic party number; only good and bad game design.

• draego and Wormerine like this

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Lol, this thread goes full non-sense.  :facepalm:

It's 5 for now, will probably end up being 5.

That's it, until BĂȘta Feedbacks. Y'all should deal with it...

• Sedrefilos likes this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1211 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Lol, this thread goes full non-sense.  :facepalm:

It's 5 for now, will probably end up being 5.

That's it, until BĂȘta Feedbacks. Y'all should deal with it...

Don't be so cold. Peoples' lives depend on that :p

Edited by Sedrefilos, Yesterday, 11:35 AM.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Who would win?

Party of 6 on their first adventure vs Party of 5 on their second adventure?

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1211 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you invited 5 friends to your house, would you call that a party? A deep philosophical question.

• Heijoushin, Baltic and Wormerine like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you invited 5 friends to your house, would you call that a party? A deep philosophical question.

As a matter of fact 5 is my preferred party size. 6 or more and people start splitting into groups and it kills me if two conversations are happening and I can't be part of both...
  • Sedrefilos likes this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Excellent point. Just inviting 5 friends over doesn't make it a party. You need food, drinks and babes. Which tells me that it's not the number that's important, it's the entertainment. 

• Sedrefilos likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users