The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

And the Guiness Book of Records is now replaced by a smartphone, google, wiki, and IMDB as the means of settling most pub arguments.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And the Guiness Book of Records is now replaced by a smartphone, google, wiki, and IMDB as the means of settling most pub arguments.

And sadly we are all aware of pub arguments due to the Internet :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well said GD. I find it interesting that all the people defending Lee's statue seem to know nothing about the guy.

I've read a good bit about Lee. He has been the victim of historical revisions himself. What erroneous information you hear depends on who you are hearing it from. Like Jackson he was opposed to Virginia seceding. But he never considered not fighting for his home State. He was not opposed to slavery as some have said. His attitude towards "africans" in general was paternalistic and condescending. He thought slavery was their lot because that was God's will for them. He also saw their servitude as an "instructional" period for their race that future generations would learn from. And he actually meant that in a benevolent way if you can believe that. He was a man of his time. Those views were hardly unique. That we find them ridiculously backwards and offensive now says more about us than it does about him.

Even his prowess on the battlefield has been subject to some revision. While his abilities as a commander are unquestioned he was a lot better in defense than in the attack. If he were a chess player he would be tough to beat if he were playing black. Playing white it's even money when he has to make the first move. His failing, as Gromnir and I have  discussed before is failing to adapt to changing technology.

He was not one to romanticize the war. He thought it's symbols should be put away and left to history. I think he would have been mortified at his role in the events of the past week.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/making-sense-of-robert-e-lee-85017563/

largely mirrors gd impressions.

am personal ambivalent 'bout the confederate war memorial thing. while Gromnir doesn't have any love for such memorials, and we shed few tears at their removal, we has concerns.  oh sure, the slippery slope nonsense from the alt-right is laughable.  compare george washington monument to robert e. lee statues is silly for numerous reasons, but there is gonna be a, well, gray area.  the statue of roger taney so recent removed from the maryland state courthouse made us pause.  sure, the dred scott decision is what history howls 'bout when taney's life is considered, but taney is also the guy who placed himself and the Court between the People and the President at a time when lincoln were suspending habeas corpus and imprisoning journalists w/o charges. nevertheless, a different dred scott result mighta' prevented civil war and woulda' been the moral correct thing to do for an educated man, even in 1857. how 'bout a memorial commemorating all the fallen soldiers o' the civil war? no doubt such would offend a few people, and such a gray area makes us leery.  

am similar worried by gesture w/o substance. is far easier to fight over statues than to bring 'bout real change.  is not as if Gromnir fails to understand the value o' symbolism.  no doubt some know our feelings 'bout mount rushmore. nevertheless, am concerned. nowadays we see folks fighting over the details and minutiae while seeming ignoring substance which makes the fight worthy o' the possible pain.  politicians and activists exhaust selves over microaggressions, trigger words and statues and when they win such battles, they cheer for victory. all the while, income disparity increases and the endemic hopelessness in many ethnic neighborhoods and communities grows.  statues seem so trivial by comparison.  

also, we do worry, just a little, 'bout the tangential first amendment issues. go figure.

but mostly we wanted to give gd credit for posting his impression o' lee.  doesn't mean much if Gromnir agrees with gd, but even those yankee know-it-alls at the smithsonian is simpatico with gd... on this one issue.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I appreciate that Grom but the truth is we are all reading the same books. The folks who revise history tend to be the ones who didn't read about it first. Lee did not leave a published memoir behind but there are many letters and eye witness accounts of him. 

As for the statues, one would be forgiven for wondering if it were all billows in a ladle. Just a distraction from other things. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:lol: Doubt anyone would be so subtle as to assign him there as a message, but better safe than sorry

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Geez, sounds like something out of the Onion.

Actually ESPN is such a precarious place to work right now Mr. Lee is probably thinking his lucky stars they didn't fire him. :lol:

Thomas Sowell

Not even Canada is safe.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/confederate-flag-firing-1.4257178

A pursuant conversation on Reddit about this had an amusing fact that no one had a problem with the Confederate flag before 2015. :lol:

Not even Canada is safe.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/hamilton/confederate-flag-firing-1.4257178

A pursuant conversation on Reddit about this had an amusing fact that no one had a problem with the Confederate flag before 2015. :lol:

That one makes a little more sense. That is a pretty obnoxious statement, I'm not really fan of flying any flag behind my vehicle. Then he drives it to work and gets into shouting matches, and is surprised when he loses his job.  :rolleyes:

D&D Rules Developer's 9 Insider Hacks For Players and DMs

HA! Good Fun!

ps

the actual link is at: http://kotaku.com/d-d-rules-designers-9-insider-hacks-for-players-and-dms-1798345147

is few actual 'hacks.' is mostly Captain Obvious kinda stuff.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

D&D Rules Developer's 9 Insider Hacks For Players and DMs

HA! Good Fun!

ps

the actual link is at: http://kotaku.com/d-d-rules-designers-9-insider-hacks-for-players-and-dms-1798345147

is few actual 'hacks.' is mostly Captain Obvious kinda stuff.

At first I laughed, and then I got disappointed sadly. Thanks for the laugh though. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"We encourage freedom of speech but"

Why lie?  Why such a coward?

Freedom of speech is not 'only speech I agree with is allowed'.

People are scumbag liars who simply don't believe in freedom fo speech.

I saw nothing there that should get him fired. Someone verbally assaults him yet he gets fired? LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow... we're in f-----g trouble

Thomas Sowell

Found on research related to "signs of a cult leader"...

21077669_10155683543280746_2022465355774

Sounds like.....every project manager I've ever had.

• Like 2

Sounds like it was just typed up this morning. :lol:

is actual relative old.  list is attributed to a guy named rick ross and the list in question has 'been 'round for a decade or more.

is not new, but mr. ross is kinda sketchy, though his work has been cited by breitbart more than once, so...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

also 

and for gd

HA! Good Fun!

ps if you have the time, we recommend the following:

the video explains how food canning were part o' the curious chain o' invention and chance which led to the Apollo 11 launch. 50 minutes total.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

donkey-696x392.jpg

warning:  the link will be disquieting to more sensitive readers.

am not drunk (Gromnir doesn't drink), so we got no excuse for why we posted. 

HA! Good Fun!

not certain if it qualifies for the funny thread.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/27/snoop-dogg-martha-stewart-reenact-ghost-scene/

HA! Good Fun!