Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NPC interaction, also Wishlist

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Wormerine

Wormerine

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ye when i play more of a good character and just walk into npcs houses, i imagine that i am knocking on the door and the npcs are just letting me in for a chat.

And the first thing they say is "WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE? GET OUT!" as some in Baldur's Gate do.

Seems legit  :thumbsup:

I really like how characters in Gothic1&2 are protective of their homes and stuff. Stealing actually feels like stealing. Thats good that they implimented the stealing mechanic in PoE but I wish they would expend the range of possible repercussions in PoE2. Loosing a bit of reputation isn't really enough, and people immediately trying to kill you is a bit overboard. I remember in Baldur's Gate people would call guards if they saw you stealing. It would be cool if fines, giving up stole items and prison were a thing in Deadfire.

• draego and Lamppost in Winter like this

draego

draego

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ye when i play more of a good character and just walk into npcs houses, i imagine that i am knocking on the door and the npcs are just letting me in for a chat.

And the first thing they say is "WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE? GET OUT!" as some in Baldur's Gate do.

Well there has to be some compromise, the game has to be played. :) 

Baltic

Baltic

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well there has to be some compromise, the game has to be played. :)
I think consistency is key in these situations. It was really weird in Baldur's Gate how some npcs would react normally to you barging into their homes and some npcs would calmly chat to you and give you a sidequest.
  • draego and Wormerine like this

Messier-31

Messier-31

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1608 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think consistency is key in these situations. It was really weird in Baldur's Gate how some npcs would react normally to you barging into their homes and some npcs would calmly chat to you and give you a sidequest.

Blame it on magic!

• Baltic likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

I knew I'd seen this kind of thing somewhere. It was Arcanum. Not sure how I felt about it, really. Arcanum was a good concept wrapped in a clunky engine and rather atrocious mechanics. But that part wasn't really bad.

Really, though, I used to be super into realism, immersion and stuff. Then I realized it usually comes down to a thin layer that  covers more of the same thing.

Wormerine

Wormerine

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I knew I'd seen this kind of thing somewhere. It was Arcanum. Not sure how I felt about it, really. Arcanum was a good concept wrapped in a clunky engine and rather atrocious mechanics. But that part wasn't really bad.

Really, though, I used to be super into realism, immersion and stuff. Then I realized it usually comes down to a thin layer that  covers more of the same thing.

I am not interested in increasing AI reactivity for stealing to make game more "realistic." I believe that would make game better. Looting unprotected containers isn't fun. Finding and looting hidden compartments is fun (that's why exploring in something like Thief, Deus Ex or Dishonored is so entertaining) and, If game finds a good balance with its economy and difficulty then a possibility of stealing becomes interesting as well. Sure, if I play a goodish character I probably don't want to steal from peasants but if I could really use extra items I might be tempted. If you play evil character and you steal and murder you get real rewards for that. More money and items in a game where you can pretty much pick up anything you like is not much of an incentive. I remember in White March trying to figure out how could I steal Durban steel ignot from Abydon's temple, when I realised I can just pick it up and not one will really mind. I found that disappointing.
  • Lamppost in Winter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users