Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Deadfire feature request. Maybe for POE1 too?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like to have following simple feature for Deadfire and maybe devs kind enough to make it for POE1 too? It's a very simple request.

1) Auto-pause every x seconds: 4,5,6,8 seconds during combat.

2) Disable pausing before the x seconds lapsed.

3) Toggle to allow the auto-pause mode like the slow/fast mode.

I find myself woody-pecking the space-bar alot and the auto-pause feature will be very handy for my playstyle. The disabling option is some kind of penalty to disallow cancellation of wrong/bad decision during battle. I personally suggest minimum of 4secs auto-pausing? Without playtesting, maybe 5-6 seconds auto-pausing is a good idea?

For idea no. 2) disable pausing before x seconds lapsed can work on it's own if option 1) is not enabled. Means no auto-paused but once you unpaused, you cannot paused again after x seconds lapsed.

What do you think about my idea? Thanks!

Edited by Archaven, 01 July 2017 - 10:58 AM.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1185 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think the more variety to empower the players preferred setup the better.

I think they need action queuing more than anything though. Kotor style. The new AI/Gambit system will hopefully go lengths to cleaning up party management.

• Archaven, Sedrefilos and White Andromeda like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I remember Baldurs Gate had such option (pausing every "turn.") If there is a demand for that it would be nice to see it added. 

Lamppost in Winter

Lamppost in Winter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Do you mean this? Doesn't have a toggle mode or disable pausing while its active, but it's there.

Shift can already queue up actions but it's a bit clunky, would be nice to have a KOTOR-type UI that shows actions queued.

503Z97o.jpg

• Archaven, Quillon, Wormerine and 1 other like this

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I didn't even know shift could do that... but yeah a UI that reflects queuing would be nice. Or just have queuing be default.

Now that they have more space (5 member party), I'd think they could squeeze something in. Though I'm not sure where and how they would do that...

• Quillon likes this

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

+1 for action queue UI.

ed: also waypoint queue UI; "lines on the ground".

Edited by Quillon, 01 July 2017 - 05:36 PM.

• illathid, AndreaColombo and injurai like this

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Do you mean this? Doesn't have a toggle mode or disable pausing while its active, but it's there.

Shift can already queue up actions but it's a bit clunky, would be nice to have a KOTOR-type UI that shows actions queued.

503Z97o.jpg

wow thanks i didnt notice we have that. i just replaying back poe for the 2nd time. first vanilla was.. i can't recall.. is without any expansion. and that time was tank and spam and everyone need survival/atheletics. if not your character will get fatique and need rest. i'm replaying 2nd time on POTD. it's kinda tough but i'm loving it.

Edited by Archaven, 01 July 2017 - 08:46 PM.

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I didn't even know shift could do that... but yeah a UI that reflects queuing would be nice. Or just have queuing be default.

Now that they have more space (5 member party), I'd think they could squeeze something in. Though I'm not sure where and how they would do that...

i think action queueing would be punishing if let's say no cancellation of assigned commands. but yeah.. action queueing pls so that priest can queue up all the buffs he needs to perform.

or how about a skill that let him combine 2-3 buffs into 1 casting? of course that would be higher level skill. should be obtainable during mid game (not end game). that would greatly benefit party buffers so that he can be used for something else. i find that in a lot of games.. good stuff comes late in the game and it's pointless where you hardly have the chance to use it. so i hope develpers will be aware of such things.

Edited by Archaven, 01 July 2017 - 08:55 PM.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1185 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The combining buff thing just sounds like a macro, unless you mean they actually all cast at once. I could imagine a high level spell taking twice as long to cast. But... it fires off 3 buffs. So it's worth the trade off if you can protect your priest from receiving any interrupts.

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The combining buff thing just sounds like a macro, unless you mean they actually all cast at once. I could imagine a high level spell taking twice as long to cast. But... it fires off 3 buffs. So it's worth the trade off if you can protect your priest from receiving any interrupts.

It's macro. Shouldn't be taking twice as long to cast as it defeats the purpose. It's more like action queue then. 

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3352 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
+1 for action queuing UI and waypoint queuing UI.
  • illathid, Quillon, injurai and 1 other like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7322 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, that would be awesome. You can do it with shift + click in PoE - but you have to know what you're doing and you'll get no feedback if you did something wrong.

Wormerine

Wormerine

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
To me personally the already implemented shift-que was sufficient, but it would be better if the game UI would reflect qued waypoints/actions.

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would like the option to just have the first voiced line heard so I can focus on reading the rest.

darkling.lithely

darkling.lithely

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wish that I could print character sheets with inventory from the game.

gerey

gerey

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I wish that I could print character sheets with inventory from the game.

If I remember correctly there was something like this in Fallout 1-2, right? 

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1511 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Skeleton sailors confirmed, in case someone was hoping for them :p
https://www.instagra.../p/BWGSRJrFUEY/

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Theres a bit of odd disengaging, turning, then re-engaging with two of them there, but I think that's just because the combat AI is set to none, making them act a little funky since they aren't getting an engagement from the target.

Edited by smjjames, 03 July 2017 - 12:58 PM.

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Skeleton sailors confirmed, in case someone was hoping for them :p
https://www.instagra.../p/BWGSRJrFUEY/

I find the rotating character to face the selected target breaking a little immersion. Thought that animation was improved. Not a priority but well i hope it can be.

dam

dam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the more variety to empower the players preferred setup the better.

I think they need action queuing more than anything though. Kotor style. The new AI/Gambit system will hopefully go lengths to cleaning up party management.

How would you queue your actions ?

Let's take the hypothetical example of POE1 :

- Expose Weakness (wiz), followed by Fireball (wiz again) ?

Surely if your Expose Weakness misses all targets, you won't be too happy with your fireball ?

Queueing up actions assumes that they'll each be successful in turn, which is by no means a guarantee.

Would still like a better queueing system here, but I just can't see it as the magic change you're envisioning ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users