Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #36 - Deep Diving Into the E3 Video

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Aaden

Aaden

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Am I the only one bothered by that land party piece not walking, but sliding as if on wheels or ice?

Also, I'd like it to move slower, indicating that passing through jungles and terrain on foot is a lot more sluggish than going by a sailing vessel.

Slower, really? My first thought when seeing it in the video was "Well, I hope either you don't travel back and forth a lot or you get a speed-up button for that animation. It sure looks like something that gets tedious, quickly". Estimating what the cut removed, it's a travel time of maybe 10 to 15 seconds. That's 15 seconds of doing nothing. And then another 15 seconds to get back to your ship. And who knows how long for ship travels. It all depends on how much is going on during these travels, but for a pure location transition with the occassional event in between, it already is on the slow end, I think. If there's a lot to explore and get diverted, it might be okay, at least until you have to backtrack.

I like the board game-y feeling of the sliding. Plus it reminds me a bit of the first Total War games.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4560 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well hopefully then Fast/Slow Mode will work with the overland map. :-

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Am I the only one who thinks that the world map looks very bland? Water is so so, but land looks empty and in desperate need of details.

They could take a few design cues from Civilization VI as far as skeuomorphic cartographic design goes. I think it would also look better if it was zoomed out a bit, or the dead space was filled with more "here be dragons" iconography.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Deep diving into the video: 

- Suspected this back when ships revealed...so why are we controlling whole party on board the "small" ship when there is no combat going on? 

Yeah, that seems a bit silly, would be cool if the other companions hung out on the ship doing random (sometimes productive) things or chatting with others when it's just the ship and no combat going on.

This would be cool so long as there was still some way to simultaneously access the inventories of all companions while on the ship so that it is easy to (re)distribute items across everyone.

• Messier-31 likes this

Mr. Magniloquent

Mr. Magniloquent

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
This looks like an improvement over the original, for sure. The apparent influence of Storm of Zehir is a major positive for me--something I was hoping to see more of in PoE 1. I may take a look at it when it's released; whereas before, I didn't care at all.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hah form youtube comments someone noticed that the smoke from a guns barrel moves with the gun as you move after firing. I doubt they will make the smoke more elaborate, maybe cancel that animation upon a move command?

Maf

Maf

Fragment of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Was able to watch the video today, I only peek in on the information every once in a while.

I LOVE the player/npc picture frames and the "paperdoll" is GORGEOUS.

Somewhere in my post history is probably a post about me hating on the player models in PoE, guess I get to shut the f* up this time xD

As others stated the overworld probably needs something? (unsure what, not a game dev :p).

Looking forward to it even more now :)

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 970 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh, a new update! Is it just me, or are we not getting update emails anymore?

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4087 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Am I the only one bothered by that land party piece not walking, but sliding as if on wheels or ice?

Also, I'd like it to move slower, indicating that passing through jungles and terrain on foot is a lot more sluggish than going by a sailing vessel.

It resembles a pawn, why shouldn't it slide?

Alright, let me put it this way. I don't want it to be some kind of chess piece, I'd love to see it a bit more animated when it traverses any landmass. :)

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4560 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you keep sailing in one direction, will you eventually run into the beer mug holding down the corner of the map?

• Messier-31 likes this

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was bothered right away and expressed my botherednessness in the E3 thread. Since then I watched the footage many times and I'm not noticing it anymore, 'cept Aloth's buggy sliding at the beginning of titan fight. Also small slides both in and out of combat seems to be there to give way to each other, besides resolving some very annoying pathing issues I think this is better than how it was in Pillars 1: When a character bumps into some other/s, it starts to project this flickery half walking/running animations till it gets free or gets stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users