Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #36 - Deep Diving Into the E3 Video

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Do you plan to release a transcript of the video for persons with hearing impairments (and those who prefer to read rather than watch)?

The Closed Caption subtitles (English only) have been updated to accurately represent what is being said in the video, so that should be able to help you greatly. :)

What about the Twitch Q&A on July 12th?

Mikey Dowling

Mikey Dowling

PR Manager

• Developers+
  • 135 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Mikey2x4
  • Xbox Gamertag:Mikey2x4
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll do the best I can!

• kanisatha likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4560 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That Titan was ineffectual. It made only three attacks during the battle and spent most of its time looking confused. I hope that was just done for demonstration purposes.

Looks good otherwise.

• Tuckey likes this

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll do the best I can!

If you're looking for someone to do this on every upcoming content from Obsidian, hire me (lol?), I'd be happy to help.

Can translate to French aswell if needed.

I could do previous Q&A aswell if needed. (Could take a while though  :yes:).

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Deep diving into the video: 

- Suspected this back when ships revealed...so why are we controlling whole party on board the "small" ship when there is no combat going on? 

- More varied and better weapon swing animations needed. Eder swings his sword like hammering in a stake half the time.

- Melee wep. hit sounds are missing most of the time . Also what is that metal on metal scrape sound we're hearing often in combat?

- Destructible wall part needs a slight delay in "destruction" and more dust to obfuscate the transition more I think.

- *Arquebus smoke*

for the positives:

- Everything else looks great :p

• Messier-31 likes this

Jajo

Jajo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Pillars II Executive Producer, Andy Brennecke!

FTFY.

Thank You for doing this, because we do like to hear interesting information from you all, but we will not get that from IGN.

"So is this like a dungeon?"

-- Professional Journalist

• ShadySands likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3700 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

- Suspected this back when ships revealed...so why are we controlling whole party on board the "small" ship when there is no combat going on?

This is a good point. Could companions hang out on the ship in these situations? (Instead of following the Playr)
  • Messier-31 and smjjames like this

Aramintai

Aramintai

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Am I the only one who thinks that the world map looks very bland? Water is so so, but land looks empty and in desperate need of details.

Edited by Aramintai, 27 June 2017 - 10:50 PM.

• FlintlockJazz, Jajo and gogocactus like this

Jajo

Jajo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Am I the only one who thinks that the world map looks very bland? Water is so so, but land looks empty and in desperate need of details.

I'm hoping for something of similar quality to the global map in PoE I.

• gogocactus likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, that seems a bit silly, would be cool if the other companions hung out on the ship doing random (sometimes productive) things or chatting with others when it's just the ship and no combat going on.

• gogocactus likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1779 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I was assuming that it was still an early build of the map and would naturally be improved by the time the game releases, but I realise that this is an assumption of mine, so good job on raising this and count me as seconding this! :)

• gogocactus likes this

Furism

Furism

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:furism
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Loving the changes so far. Two things though:

- I love that the character on the overland maps looks like Gandalf the Grey. However I hope you'll animate him because it's kind of weird to see the figurine just moving but not being animated. Doesn't have to be high-resolution animation, just make the stick move or something (but if you can do more advanced stuff, by all means!).

- I think the remaining cast time isn't very clear. I mean the long-duration spells that we can see Aloth using. I think this indication should be crystal-clear, more than it is now, very obvious so you can't miss it in the heat of battle - and more importantly, you can clearly see that somebody's targeting your Wizard and is interrupting him. I play on Path of the Damned usually and that kind of quick, reliable, visual feedback is key to read the battlefield efficiently.

Edited by Furism, 28 June 2017 - 01:19 AM.

Nail

Nail

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Awesome work with capes - no collision that's awesome.

Also animated character in the inventory menu looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/_Es15qyjoJ8?t=257 - at the bottom dual wielding warrior (I guess) strikes 3 times with right hand - is it a glitch or it's supposed to do so?

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

https://youtu.be/_Es15qyjoJ8?t=257 - at the bottom dual wielding warrior (I guess) strikes 3 times with right hand - is it a glitch or it's supposed to do so?

Interesting. Guess they gave barbaric blow(?) some flavor.

Ed: Same ability hits the titan twice without recovery also(with different hands) and hits twice with the pollaxe later on in the dungeon.

Edited by Quillon, 28 June 2017 - 03:11 AM.

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not fond of the sailing ship piece on the map. It just looks boring to me. It would be better if it looked like Sid Meiers Pirates somewhat.

pirate_hell_0.jpg

I wouldn't have it at this angle but I hope you get the idea regardless. I want to see my ship move through the water and have island features come into focus as I get nearer.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4560 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I actually like their approach -- it looks very 'tabletop gaming' in style. If anything, I think they could go even more retro and make it look like a nice quality Portolan chart complete with Rhumb lines.

• ShadySands, AndreaColombo and Baltic like this

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 662 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Few comments from me:

- Is the sailing world map final? It looks plain and maybe it can be polished and made more beautiful

- Inventory screen, the 3D character is too huge. maybe reduce it to suit the UI and look better.

Aaden

Aaden

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That "Beyond" bit at the end begs the question: Can we push enemies off there or are in danger of getting pushed off? As there is a system for environmental hazards in place anyway, it would be pretty silly to have an invisible wall at those edges where characters get pushed against. The same obviously goes for all kinds of cliffs or walls without any protection against falling.

It would have to be balanced to not become trivial or frustrating. A high chance of success save roll maybe, or you only get pushed off if you're technically pushed X meters beyond the edge, or pushing off is only possible below some health threshold or some such. One would have to figure out what feels both natural and balanced, but I think it would make for a cool addition to the whole multi-layer and environmental hazard business.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4087 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Am I the only one bothered by that land party piece not walking, but sliding as if on wheels or ice?

Also, I'd like it to move slower, indicating that passing through jungles and terrain on foot is a lot more sluggish than going by a sailing vessel.

Messier-31

Messier-31

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1702 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Am I the only one bothered by that land party piece not walking, but sliding as if on wheels or ice?

Also, I'd like it to move slower, indicating that passing through jungles and terrain on foot is a lot more sluggish than going by a sailing vessel.

It resembles a pawn, why shouldn't it slide?

• rjshae, draego and Baltic like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users