Thoughts on my current party composition [PoTD]

hey guys, i've been trying few builds in the early game (only after Caed Nua). so far my current favorite party composition for my PoTD run:

1. Chanter; offtank/cc - MC (previously Cipher)

2. Eder; tank - NPC

3. Fighter'; tank - custom

4. Durance; priest - NPC

5. Aloth; DD/CC- NPC

6. Chanter; CC - custom

so far my latest run with this composition has been quite smooth, but when i reached Caed Nua, i feel like that the bunch lacks firepower...like a LOT...

i don't know if it's because i'm on PoTD or there's something i can tweak either classes or abilities/talents....

any advice on my current party members? what to improve or experiment??

btw, my tank is not a pure tank, instead i put several points just enough to have a bit of an oomph..and the only min-max char is my ranged Chanter

You will have to describe your party members a bit more - what role they fulfill for example. A chanter can be played in different ways for example.

You have a priest and a wizard. So you're on the save side when it comes to buffs, CC and damage dealing.

Three guys as frontline is also good. I mean two fighters seem to be a bit redundant, but that's not a real problem.

PoTD is especially tough in Act I until you finish Caed Nua, then it all gets easier. So it's not uncommon to encounter some difficulties when you reach Caed Nua.

Your party composition (concerning your classes) is definitely viable. Maybe you just need to expoit their strengths more. For example a chanter would never be my go-to CC guy. They are great for sustained support and healing and for tanking and also very, very good for AoE damage after lvl 9+ - but since their CC always comes quite late in encounters they are not my preferred CC guys. I'd always use them for support and damage instead. On the other hand, two fighters with high INT, Disciplined Barrage and Knockdown + Bonus Knockdown can be pretty great as CC team. Disabling 6 times per encounter is neat.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

aaah sorry about that, here goes:

1. MC Chanter: off-tank/CC - lvl 4

18/10/16/10/18/8

invoc

- but reny | if their bones | the thunder rolled.

talents

- ancient memory | beloved spirit

chants

- sweet winds if death 3x

2. Fighter: tank - lvl 4

20/11/10/14/14/10

Constant rec + r. rec

Disc barrage

Knock down + b knockdown

the rest is pre-built NPC

3. Durance - lvl 4

- pre-built stats

Interdiciton + Painful interdiction

4. Aloth - lvl 4

- pre-built stats

- chill fog

- corrosive siphon

- blackened sight

- fetid caress

5. Eder - lvl 4

- pre-built stats

- same with my custom fighter tank

6. Kana - lvl 4

- pre-built stats

- same with my MC

was thinking that i was wrong to mix cc with dd spells for Aloth. i have one more Cipher that was dismissed in favor for Kana's CC and summon.

i usually start with my MC to pull the aggro, and put my 2 tanks first upfront, then if the situation is good, i'll switch to melee. summon 2 phantom while aloth casts either cc/dd spells, durance cast protection and other buffs as well. pretty effective for me, but i feel lacking in firepower

ooh and btw, with spellcasters in my party does this mean i will use camping supplies or go back to the inn often?? you know, since their spells only refreshed after resting and i don't know how to manage it better, since on PoTD i feel like i need to go all out..sometimes even on trash mobs hahahahaa

so far my latest run with this composition has been quite smooth, but when i reached Caed Nua, i feel like that the bunch lacks firepower...like a LOT...

Well, duh, that's because you indeed lack damage :)

- As you noted you use chanters for cc, and even if you'd want them to deal damage, it's mostly possible only after level 9 (via DragonTrashed and SevenNights).

- Fighters are mediocre at dps (until they get Charge at lvl 13, and start rushing with dual sabres).

- Durance can deal decent damage via stacking Shinning Beacons in harder and boss fights. But Beacons are per-rest.

- Your main dps'er could be Aloth if you build him via Blast, Penetrating Blast, Golden Gaze / Kalakoth's Minor Blights. Although 12 might is not that stellar.

Plus your party (aside from knockdowns) lacks cc-on-demand. What will you do if shades will teleport to your backline while frontline is already engaged?

The main point-forte you have is sturdiness. But if you kill stuff twice as slow, enemy mobs have twice time to bash your party, leading to twice as much resting.

Few variants: swap your melee chanter and fighter, for a melee GM and Barbarian. This will provide cc when you need it, plus will speed-up trash clearing.

Or try:

frontline: mc_chanter (offtank/dot dps), monk, Hiravias (offtank, cc/dps)

midline: Durance (offtank buffer; plate armor in small fights; hide armor + daom in boss fights)

backline: Aloth (sup-dps), cipher (custom, dps)

• Like 1

Eh come on.

At this point of the game the setup will deal enough damage. When you reach Card Nua the superior starting values of the fighter still matter and lead to good damage. There are also not that many enemies yet so that single target damage and CC are still a good way.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, duh, that's because you indeed lack damage :)

- As you noted you use chanters for cc, and even if you'd want them to deal damage, it's mostly possible only after level 9 (via DragonTrashed and SevenNights).

- Fighters are mediocre at dps (until they get Charge at lvl 13, and start rushing with dual sabres).

- Durance can deal decent damage via stacking Shinning Beacons in harder and boss fights. But Beacons are per-rest.

- Your main dps'er could be Aloth if you build him via Blast, Penetrating Blast, Golden Gaze / Kalakoth's Minor Blights. Although 12 might is not that stellar.

Plus your party (aside from knockdowns) lacks cc-on-demand. What will you do if shades will teleport to your backline while frontline is already engaged?

The main point-forte you have is sturdiness. But if you kill stuff twice as slow, enemy mobs have twice time to bash your party, leading to twice as much resting.

Few variants: swap your melee chanter and fighter, for a melee GM and Barbarian. This will provide cc when you need it, plus will speed-up trash clearing.

Or try:

midline: Durance (offtank buffer; plate armor in small fights; hide armor + daom in boss fights)

huh...curious about this particular setup:

is this okay on PoTD Caed Nua fight?? i mean is it common to not have main/dedicated tank in a party? or the monk supposed to be the main tank?

i've never tried monk though..only paladin, fighter and barbarian for tank spec

but i've had my eyes on this http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91276-class-build-the-anvil-the-most-tough-monk-around/ build

is this okay on PoTD Caed Nua fight??

What fight do you refer to? The shadows and phantoms in Caed Nua courtyyard and Caed Nua Keep?

If yes - then it should be okay. Actually it should be fine for the whole game.

Btw, if shades trouble you, equip your backline in hide armor (frontline should be in heaviest armor already). As for melee weapons in early game, make sure to not use battle axes (you will not crit enough anyway), and give swords, war hammers and especially maces and sabres a try.

i mean is it common to not have main/dedicated tank in a party? or the monk supposed to be the main tank?

My experience tells me that it's nice to have 3 frontliners, plus either a midliner who can switch to 1h+shield (if need be) or have a team member capable of charming. In such a way you will have a nice body blocking frontline.

Now, out of those 3 frontliners, one should be [high DR, high Deflection] tank - the one who will be used to door block / be on the edge vs numerous but low hitting enemies like xaurips.

And one [high HP / high Fortitude / decent Reflex] to tank bosses (esp. dragons).

Monk can nicely act as an offtank/dps during trash fights, and main tank during boss encounters.

While your chanter (if built as a mix between The Drake's Ambassador and Chillfog can easily tank regular fights, while dealing damage via Dragon Thrashed.

Also you could try 18/18/3/10/19/10 chanter. The idea is to provide the same amount of damage (hence high MIG/INT for Dragon Trashed), but have a higher amount of hp/endurance which could be replenished via Wound Binding + %healing modifiers. With +60% (from 14 surv) and +24% (from 18 might) Wound Binding will already restore 73.6% of your health. As for lower Perception than in Drake Ambassador build, just make sure to drop a mass stun or paralyze first for a great reflex malus.

i've never tried monk though..only paladin, fighter and barbarian for tank spec

but i've had my eyes on this http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91276-class-build-the-anvil-the-most-tough-monk-around/ build

The Anvil build is fine for the proposed setup. So is Monksterlasher.

Depending on your personal preference you can go for Fire Godlike, Moon Godlike or Human/Boreal Dwarf (with Maegfolc Skull in mind).

• Like 1