Steam, Playstaion Network and other digital distribution platforms...

Katphood

If you want to build a decent gaming PC don't forget three components that are all too often ignored, to the detriment of the player. Pick a good keyboard, a mouse you can use without your hands falling off and a good, comfortable chair.

And get a wireless Xbox One pad. You can thank me later.

It's one of these hilarious arguments from console peasants that they can sit on a comfortable couch while playing. Well, duh, people pay a couple grand for a good couch to sit on and then put a $50 IKEA chair in front of their computer and wonder why it's less comfortable.

Well I've got a comfortable chair for gaming, yet I still prefer pad and a couch. Your mouse always needs to stay in contact with your table so to sit healthily, you still get a limited array of positions to put yourself into, which doesn't sit well with me constantly wiggling about. Just sayin'.

I'm still not entirely sure why doesn't PC master race just go for the obvious argument of "Well with PC, you get to choose whether you prefer to play on a chair with K+M or on your couch with a gamepad, because PCs are flexible" and instead tries to advertise peripheral designed for inefficient writing as opposed to playing the actual strength of the platform, but, y'know, whatever floats your boat :-P

Edited by Fenixp

I'm still not entirely sure why doesn't PC master race just go for the obvious argument of "Well with PC, you get to choose whether you prefer to play on a chair with K+M or on your couch with a gamepad, because PCs are flexible" and instead tries to advertise peripheral designed for inefficient writing as opposed to playing the actual strength of the platform, but, y'know, whatever floats your boat :-P

Nowadays, it's what I do with any game that supports it. I'm running a long and thick HDMI cable from my PC to my TV, just so I can watch movies and play games with gamepad on the couch. It's awesome.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

-Dear PC gamers, you dudes are pretty much limited to digital distribution nowadays(GOG, Steam, Origin...). Does that worry you that you might lose access to your games someday? Because recent events have proven that games can disappear from stores which forces users to resort to piracy.

This question is about a decade too late. Don't worry, though, it's going to happen on consoles, too.  :shrugz:

Farther clarification: when you buy a game you own a copy of the game. Take Storm Coast Legends. I own it despite the fact that it's not available on any platform because I bought it before they took down from digital stores. If a friend on steam sees that I'm playing SCL and try to look it up on the platform they get redirected to the storefront, but I still own and can play the game.

-Dear PC gamers, you dudes are pretty much limited to digital distribution nowadays(GOG, Steam, Origin...). Does that worry you that you might lose access to your games someday? Because recent events have proven that games can disappear from stores which forces users to resort to piracy.

This question is about a decade too late. Don't worry, though, it's going to happen on consoles, too.  :shrugz:

It happens on consoles all the time. The Wii U games are pretty worthless if you upgrade to the Switch, unless you want to a bunch of different consoles around just to play a couple older titles. Nintendo is the master of repackaging their core titles for a new system and making the audience pay full price for it, and they almost never go down in price. 

On the PC, if I need to re-buy an older title, I can usually get it pretty cheap at least.

But really, I'm not all that worried about losing access to a game I bought in the past. I barely have time to play the new games. If a game is important enough for me to want to replay it a decade later, then I usually don't mind dropping a few bucks to play a remastered version. They are just games. I have plenty of products that don't age well, and games are on that list.

• Like 1

I never had trouble using mouse and keyboard. I would bring the chair all the way down and I could actually lay back and still use mouse and keyboard.

The current rig I have is connected to a hdtv and I use a wireless mouse and keyboard and a very comfy couch. I place the keyboard and mouse on one of those laptop holders(or whatever they are called) and put the whole thing on my lap while laying on the couch. It can get annoying after an hour or two but I stll find it to be the best alternative because it allows you to use keyboard and mouse on the couch which is awesome.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I'm not that worrried about losing access to a game I bought in the past. I barely have time to play the new games. If a game is important enough for me to want to replay it a decade later, then I usually don't mind dropping a few bucks to play a remastered version. They are just games. I have plenty of products that don't age well, and games are on that list.

I know the argument against your comment here would probably be "Well even if I paid $0.99, I still have the rights to keep the game" but I agree with you. Unless games are 2D platformers, they don't age well (excluding games for the UHD generation which has different variables all together of course).

The great thing about the industry is that games are always getting better, there's something for everyone, so if all the games that aged horribly suddenly disappeared, people will be able to move on and be satisfied with what present games shd the future holds. Unfortunately, gamers don't use logic when it comes to these things so they would complain and whine to their peers if not anything else.

Nevermind the fact that pc gamers generally don't even read the terms of agreement from Steam/GoG and Origin to know that the only time they truly own a game is when they buy a physical game that doesn't feature dlc, doesn't require a day1 patch, doesnt require internet connection and so forth. Alot of these "tru-own" games exist but only really on consoles now. So the false sense of entitlement among gamers as a whole is a broad toxin but will always remain as long as logic is not being used.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...