Eating food in the presence of enemies

I recently started a new run where I played solo to see how far I would get (not on PotD, I am no pro, just on Hard), so food became a bit more interesting.

I remembered from previous runs that I would - on tough fights - take my food when the enemy was sighted, but before combat started.

Now on this run my character refuses to eat food when enemies are in sight, but I am still hidden. When I move away a little an the enemies disappear into FoW, I can eat. In a previous run I did have this problem sometimes just with Eder.

Does anybody know what the issue may be here?

It is not very important, I am just intrigued.

A related question: are you supposed to be able to eat from a quickslot during combat? That doesn't work for me, but I read several forum postings where people mention doing that.

Another question: I found potions of Iron Skin and Wizard's Double extremely useful in harder fights, and I was so glad to discover that I could make them myself, but now I have run out of ingredients to make them, and I am not aware of any suppliers in Act I. Any hints there?

I probably put too little points in mechanics until now, because I am missing some hidden stash locations. Are there some guides for critical levels of Mechanics?

This belongs in the Pillars 1 forum, I think? This is the forum for the upcoming sequel (Deadfire).

A) Eating in a fight. Hah, would be a funny sub-class (though, Corpse Eater Barb, upcoming, might fit that category). I think the design decision here is immersion. You don't pull out a stew in the middle of a fight, you feed yourself before/after :p

B) Finding ingredients, there are merchants and if you look in the Stronghold window (construction) there might be something that might help you over time ;)

• Like 1

Munching on a sandwich in one hand while fighting with a sword in the other would be awesome.

Sea+Devils+3.JPG

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

This belongs in the Pillars 1 forum, I think? This is the forum for the upcoming sequel (Deadfire).

A) Eating in a fight. Hah, would be a funny sub-class (though, Corpse Eater Barb, upcoming, might fit that category). I think the design decision here is immersion. You don't pull out a stew in the middle of a fight, you feed yourself before/after :p

B) Finding ingredients, there are merchants and if you look in the Stronghold window (construction) there might be something that might help you over time ;)

My mistake about the forum. Sorry about that.

A) Yes, it makes sense, just wanted confirmation.

But what about the eating while still hidden, but seeing enemies. I am sure that used to work, although on some of the party members, but not on others.

Now that I think about it, maybe the characters that can eat don't see the enemy themselves, which explains that it was always Eder in the group who refused: he was nearest to the enemy and probably the only one within sighting range.

I will test it next time by moving just the character that refuses to eat a little further away.

B) I know the traders after chapter I, it is just that my solo character still has to fight the stronghold conquest, and I already used my potions and vital ingredients, mainly on the fights for the cargo of the smith. I guess more long term planning with these components is necessary when you play harder modes. Until now they were never essential in my runs.

Edited by Lotti Fuehrscheim

Munching a two-handed french baquette sandwich while fighting with one foot would have been even more awsome :D

One does not simply munch a two-handed baquette sandwich!  I would insist on having a table to eat at with assorted sides to go with it while fighting them off with my foot.  One must have standards even in epic conflicts with dragons!

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

B) I know the traders after chapter I, it is just that my solo character still has to fight the stronghold conquest, and I already used my potions and vital ingredients, mainly on the fights for the cargo of the smith. I guess more long term planning with these components is necessary when you play harder modes. Until now they were never essential in my runs.

You might be able to find some extra ingredients at Raedric's Hold. If you go the non-lethal (sneaky/stealthy) path you can do it at level 4 easily (need lots of Stealth though). Choosing to not fight Readric will pacify everyone and then you can run around and steal stuff carefully (don't get seen) in chests/boxes (don't know if there are anything to actually help you though :/). But it might be a place that has ingredients.