Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PoE II at E3 2017.

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They could also take a look at the Ubena von Bremen, which is somewhat similar in form (albeit without the gun deck).

This? They'd have to travel to Germany for that, and wrong time period anyway.

A caravel would be more like the small kind of ship that they want.

Or maybe a Schooner, both of which are period style ships.

They can surely view the many photographs available on the web, which provide a number of useful details.

Agreed, a caravel would be a better fit, although most of those had more than one mast. The lanteen sails might get in the way of the deck view though.

Edited by rjshae, 24 June 2017 - 08:38 PM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1711 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd be happy for Obsidian to broaden the span of history they're roughly basing Pillars on when it comes to ship types if it means we get more and cooler ships. There's no reason for the setting to exactly follow real world history, and we can explain the disparity by different cultures having different aptitudes for ship building (Vailians and Ruatai are more advanced than Adeyr and Dyrwood for example).

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1045 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Or they could use non-Western boats.  Junks were well before and after this period in China.

saffron-cruises.jpg

• Karkarov and JerekKruger like this

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd like a 5$ DLC with this boat please 8.JPG

• Karkarov, illathid, Sedrefilos and 2 others like this

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

I wonder when we'll get to see the other two companions, Serafina and Takehu, in screenshots/vids?......

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Ships: Do you think there'll be different types of ships? Like, you have 1, then you can upgrade to a bigger one, and then even further to another one?

Also, Pallegina mentions at some point in the game (Don't remember if it was in a Banter between her and Kana, or if it was in dialogue, implying that Rauatai ships are "strange looking"). They have the best artillery and cannon tech.

Oooh, random event when near a shore or island, or quest stuff. Rauatai artillery bombarding your ship. Could be pretty epic, scripted interaction of avoiding the bombardments and getting closer and closer towards the beach, finalized into taking the beach and fighting isometric.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Rauatai ships are apparently incredible fast, and look weird.

Pallegina implies that Kana's pride in his nations ships is misplaced because what matters is efficient trade, which the Vailian Republics exceed at. No fast gunships.

Rauatai is a gulf so the ships probably aren't made for long distance trans-oceanic transport of goods and people.

I kind of imagine Rauatai ships being like Malay Junks.

Malaysian_Bilbo_Junk.jpg

NAGA_PELANGI_sailing_off_the_coast_of_Ku

• TheisEjsing likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

Ships from another culture, like say, the Chinese 'junks' or injurai's example could certainly look odd or just plain different from someone used to European style ships.

Also, if your character is from Old Vailia and you talk with Kana about Rauatai ships, he makes a comment about Rauatai catamarans would run circles around Old Vailian carracks or something. I forget what ship types were mentioned in the dialogue.

@osvir: There was a funding goal for being able to obtain other ship types mentioned in a fig update.

edit: Found the line of conversation I was talking about: ""The grandest, sure. Houses on the water." Kana laughs. "Give me a sleek Rauatai ketch heavy with cannons and I'll still run circles around your Vailian carracks.""

A Ketch is a real ship type, but they're more like big sailboats and while they have been used for war in the past, they're no galleon. Plus Kana was likely exaggerating and boasting somewhat.

Edited by smjjames, Yesterday, 01:25 PM.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, at first I was thinking Rauatai ships might be like Proa, since those are really fast. But they seem more suited to the Deadfire, and even the largest of those probably couldn't handle cannoning.

But catamarans could be very likely for the Rauatai and certainly could fit cannons. I vaguely remember Kana saying catamarans, maybe that's why I was thinking proa.

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

I thought Kana might have said catamaran, but the previous post which I updated, shows that he said ketch, not catamaran, going to look again if he did say catamaran.

Not seeing any mention of catamaran. *shrug*

Edited by smjjames, Yesterday, 01:34 PM.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I had to look up what a ketch was. Those are beautiful. The also look really fast. I might be siding with Kana, screw trade when you have the wind in your hair.

Edited by injurai, Yesterday, 02:01 PM.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2560 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ruatai definitely is not using Junks.  They have the biggest/best cannons in the world, you can't get a compliment of cannon on a Junk.  Craploads of oarsmen can make up for bigger/heavier.

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

Where did you get the idea that they use oars for propulsion?

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

New video from Update 36 on Fig yall.

Nothing new really, but still interesting. I actually would have like Adam to explain or at least acknowledge the different "inspirations" or state that are affecting party members (aware, concentrated, etc).

Edited by dukeisaac, Today, 12:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Karkarov