RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Well, I played it twice to get the platinum, and second playthrough, I was bored almost whole time, and there is no chance, I would ever start the game for third time.

The game is just another Hack and Slash with some RPG Elements and not RPG. Combat is very similar to Crisis Core FFVII on PSP, but IMO more annoying. Some maps are so big that you are just running around, without anything happening. Especially after you exterminate all members of all monster races in specific location.

For me the game after a while changed into constantly watching on in-game watch and hitting Chronostasis, just to be able to not miss the quest NPC. And 95% of all quests were just typical MMO-type fetchquests, which started to be boring already on 1st playthrough after 3 hours of playtime :-/

Replayability in games is important, but it is a chore if your game is just another mindnumbing FedEx simulator...

Sales numbers on PS3 were much much lower than Bravely Defaults sales on NDS, which was released around same time, and which was proper RPG.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Looks like Starcraft is getting remastered. I keep hoping FO1 & 2 will get an "enhanced edition". 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/starcraft-remastered-coming-aug-14/ar-BBDv1iX?li=AAfq3b1&ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I came to post that same 4k video of Elex that Katphood already posted, but from another source (http://wccftech.com/elex-4k60fps-footage-e3-2017/)

I am so getting that. Classic Piranha Bytes (although I did not see any hilarious animations..).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Elex - Classic Piranha Bytes (although I did not see any hilarious animations..).

That's why the animation look like that, ah! Explains why I got a very distinct feel of 'German', when watching the gameplay videos.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm sure Elex will be jank as **** in some regards, on account of being a PB game, but I'll more than likely still wind up loving it.  It seems like they have 3 factions this time around as opposed to the usual 2 (?).

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm sure Elex will be jank as **** in some regards, on account of being a PB game, but I'll more than likely still wind up loving it.  It seems like they have 3 factions this time around as opposed to the usual 2 (?).

I think there are four, but I don't know which ones you can join.  Clerics, Berserkers, Albs and Outlaws.

There is always 3 factions. Well, at least there was in the old games.

Were there?  It's been so long since I played the Gothic games.  I thought there were usually 2 joinable factions and you eventually had to make a choice between them.

Edit:

If I remember correctly, Risen had soldiers and mages.  Risen 2 had colonists and natives.  I haven't played Risen 3 yet, so no comment on that one.

Edit 2: When I said factions before I meant ones you can join.  Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Since I'm pretty hyped about Elex (understatement of 2017 right there), here's some stupid videos to explain to you heathens why Gothic is the best game ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSc-WRl-0pM

Also, I'm waiting to replay Gothic when this mod finishes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUsK1FR041E

Gothic is the only game in the series I have trouble replaying. Not only because it crashes almost as frequently as The Elder Scrolls: Arena, but because of the unorthodox controls. Maybe the mod will modernize them? Who knows, I don't speak Nazi (I kid, I kid, I drive an Audi, please don't gas me)

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I don't think people disagree with that - Piranha Bytes are about on par with Bethesda - different weaknesses, but similar strengths.

And those updated graphics actually look pretty good. Hm

Fortune favors the bald.

I played Gothic 1 a truckton of times back in the days. Still think it's the best game of them. Gothic 2 improved a lot in all areas, but from a whole setting / story point of view, G1 just can't be topped for me. Similar to Fo1 and Fo2.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If I remember correctly, Risen had soldiers and mages.  Risen 2 had colonists and natives.  I haven't played Risen 3 yet, so no comment on that one.

Edit 2: When I said factions before I meant ones you can join.  Sorry for any confusion.

Risen had mages, thieves (at the ruin/ swamp, with Gimli) and soldiers. Risen 2 had pirates, colonists and natives. G3 had a quasi 'full' faction system, so doesn't fit the pattern*. G2 had mages, mercs, soldiers. G1 had mages, and the two different prison camps. Pretty sure that all of those are joinable- though obviously I haven't played all of them as I need to do things like eat and sleep occasionally. Apart from G3 they all have three archetypal factions; and they're all essentially mages, warriors and thief/ ranger variants. How that works with post apoc will be interesting, but I'd be surprised if the template doesn't remain.

*I rather liked the G3 system, though it was rather gamey since you could skirt the trigger reputation levels and the factions wouldn't care until you crossed the limit.

I dunno. Don't like some of the landscapes, as well as that robot(?) stuff. Also not a fan of the jetpack.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Rebellion announce they are making Evil Genius 2.

https://youtu.be/DMUG2WCEyOQ?t=210

I have mixed feelings about the original game.  It was a FANTASTIC idea, but the execution was far from ideal.  I still enjoyed it, but it was disappointing at the same time since it could have been so amazing and it fell far short of amazing.  That said, the idea is still fantastic.  It's a Dungeon Keeper-esque game where you play as a Bond villain, build an elaborate lair (preferably in a volcano), train operatives to send out into the world to do evil things, and protect your lair from filthy do-gooders.  Get it right this time, Rebellion!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I have completely missed this video from January, buuut it is one of the best, I've seen about the current state of gaming.

They did some research and they are not talking out of their asses, based on marketing hype, nor nostalgia...

This video sums up pretty much everything, what gamers in their 30s and 40s around me thinks what's bad today, and what was better yesterday :-/

8 minutes in total...

• Like 6

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I have completely missed this video from January, buuut it is one of the best, I've seen about the current state of gaming.

They did some research and they are not talking out of their asses, based on marketing hype, nor nostalgia...

This video sums up pretty much everything, what gamers in their 30s and 40s around me thinks what's bad today, and what was better yesterday :-/

8 minutes in total...

Ahhhhhhh...Metacritic! The place where 13 year old kids gather around from time to time to p*ss on the single good game that they don't happen to own. What better source to use for a research when it comes to video games, eh?! It's funny because I usually end up reading the reviews that are rated 6 when I check out Metacritic, those tend to be the neutral ones, at least they let you know how the game plays...

Also 2001? Seriously!!! What the hell happened to 2007 then?!

Just check out ACG,  EasyAllies or  GiantBomb. Most of these guys have been in the video games industry since forever and based on what they say, I really don't think there will be a video games industry crash...unless Steam and its collection of games become vaporware or something.  :grin:

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Pfft. Neither 2001 nor 2007 stands a chance against 1998...

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken