Going Island Aumaua Rogue with Max Might, Per and Dex dump Res and Int to 7.

Want to play a single weapon wielder plus 1 hand style. Don't want Bittercut, Drawn in Spring, Rimecutter or Unlabored Blade. Been there done that.....

What's the next best damaging single hand weapon?

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Next best depends. Since one handed style leads to a lot of crits (especially with durgan steel) I'd go for warhammers and first pick Shatterstar (annihilating, 1 sec interrupt), then Godansthunyr (stunning, +1 MIG). Since both do something special on crit they are fitting and the two damage types are an advantage over maces, spears or sabres. Swords only have meh uniques.

Another big plus is that you can buy Shatterstar quite early (Copperlane).

For pure dps (not considering on-crit effects) you need speed + durgan steel, so Rêghar Konnek (late), Spelltongue (mid), Danulya (mid), Strike Hard (late), March Steel Dagger (early), Sword of Daenysis (early), Last Blade of the White Forge (late) or Unforgiven (mid) come to mind. Rêghar Konnek also is predatory and Kith-slaying, which fits pretty well.

Besides that, I also like Aattuuk for a one handed approach. It is predatory (+10% hit to crit). Plus: a dagger fits a rogue.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe a stunning/viscious Cladhaliath would work with this concept?

Are there other non-weapon items that stack increases to crit percentages? Siding with the Doemenals will be a must. I think there are gloves that do it, not sure what else.

Plan is to CC with Aloth while Rogue drops summons. Then second wave charge with Rogue doing A LOT of single target DPS. All this while my 4 Other meleers Eder, Pallegina, Maneha and Zahua charge to start the battle. Kana and Sagani until I get to WM.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Yes, I forgot to mention Cladhaliath. However, you have to side with the Dozens to get it early, else you will get it at the beginning of Act III. It is quite nice though because it not only is stunning + vicious (or coordinating, if you like to flank that's the better enchantment) but also has +5 ACC. 

There are talents and items that raise the crit damage: Annihilating (weapon enchantment): +50%, Merciless Hand (Doemenel talent): +30%, Azalin's Helmet: +10%, Rabbit Fur Gloves: +10%, Dungeon Delver (Dyrw. Looters talent): +10%. Helmet and Gloves don't stack with each other. But I can't think of an item other than the predatory weapons (+10%) which increases hit-to-crit conversion.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Next best depends. Since one handed style leads to a lot of crits (especially with durgan steel) I'd go for warhammers and first pick Shatterstar (annihilating, 1 sec interrupt), then Godansthunyr (stunning, +1 MIG). Since both do something special on crit they are fitting and the two damage types are an advantage over maces, spears or sabres. Swords only have meh uniques.

Another big plus is that you can buy Shatterstar quite early (Copperlane).

For pure dps (not considering on-crit effects) you need speed + durgan steel, so Rêghar Konnek (late), Spelltongue (mid), Danulya (mid), Strike Hard (late), March Steel Dagger (early), Sword of Daenysis (early), Last Blade of the White Forge (late) or Unforgiven (mid) come to mind. Rêghar Konnek also is predatory and Kith-slaying, which fits pretty well.

Besides that, I also like Aattuuk for a one handed approach. It is predatory (+10% hit to crit). Plus: a dagger fits a rogue.

Well, overall, what set-up would lead to higher DPS - dual wielding +20 percent Attack Speed weapons or Annihilating weapons, all else being equal?

Edit: Let me elaborate my dilemma. The last playthrough, Azurro offered to sell me 3 Rimecutters - and I only bought 1. But if he does this again, then is it worth dual wielding Rimecutters on my dual wielders (most likely Paladin or Fighter but possibly also Barbarian) - or would using the wax to get 2 Bittercuts still superior?

Edited by Lampros

Def. speed weapons because most speed boni multiply. If you are about twice as fast (with DW, Two Weapon Style and 2 speed weapons) you do twice the dps. While annihilating only adds +50% to weapon base damage. This is not superpowerful. In case of a sabre it's only 6,75 damage per hit.

Rimecutters are both annihilating and speedy, so it's great. I would alway buy two of them.

Bittercut is better if you can get to 0 recovery (with durgan steel + gloves for example) because it has +40% base damage with all grazes/hits/crits compared to +50% on crit on Rimecutter. This alone is better. Then Bittercut has two damage types which is a huge advantage over axes and other sabres. Then you will also automatically get a 30% corrosive lash because you want to take Spirit of Decay anyway. And on top of that it has some nice Spell Bindings. But the main reason for me is dual damage types.

And there are also builds who don't need to look at recoery so much but want to have higher damage on hit - like a dw barbarian using Barbaric Blow, Vengeful Defeat and Heart of Fury for example. Or a paldin who only has 2 FoDs and wants to maximize the damage on hit to get the most out of it and not nec. dps. Same with Fighter using 3 Knockdowns and Charge.

Rimecutters allow you to reach 0 recovery sooner and also pick Vulnerable Attack later and still be at 0 recovery while wearing thicker armor. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Def. speed weapons because most speed boni multiply. If you are about twice as fast (with DW, Two Weapon Style and 2 speed weapons) you do twice the dps. While annihilating only adds +50% to weapon base damage. This is not superpowerful. In case of a sabre it's only 6,75 damage per hit.

Rimecutters are both annihilating and speedy, so it's great. I would alway buy two of them.

Bittercut is better if you can get to 0 recovery (with durgan steel + gloves for example) because it has +40% base damage with all grazes/hits/crits compared to +50% on crit on Rimecutter. This alone is better. Then Bittercut has two damage types which is a huge advantage over axes and other sabres. Then you will also automatically get a 30% corrosive lash because you want to take Spirit of Decay anyway. And on top of that it has some nice Spell Bindings. But the main reason for me is dual damage types.

And there are also builds who don't need to look at recoery so much but want to have higher damage on hit - like a dw barbarian using Barbaric Blow, Vengeful Defeat and Heart of Fury for example. Or a paldin who only has 2 FoDs and wants to maximize the damage on hit to get the most out of it and not nec. dps. Same with Fighter using 3 Knockdowns and Charge.

Rimecutters allow you to reach 0 recovery sooner and also pick Vulnerable Attack later and still be at 0 recovery while wearing thicker armor. 

But toward end-game, you should be assumed to have 2 Durganized weapons and the Attack Speed gloves. If so, then I guess 2 Bittercuts are almost always better than 2 Rimecutters? What if I want to wear heavier armor? Is there any scenario where 2 Rimecutters are better?

But toward end-game, you should be assumed to have 2 Durganized weapons and the Attack Speed gloves. If so, then I guess 2 Bittercuts are almost always better than 2 Rimecutters? What if I want to wear heavier armor? Is there any scenario where 2 Rimecutters are better?

I love using dual rimecutters with vulnerable attack, and I like having high perception and gauntlets of accuracy for endless crits. Ive used dual sabers plenty of times (resolution and purgatory and dual bittercuts with corrosive lash) but I still prefer dual rimecutters with high accuracy. 

Also what can work really nicely is dual bleak fang with vulnerable attack and ryona's vambraces.

There is really so many awesome combinations though.

• Like 1

I love using dual rimecutters with vulnerable attack, and I like having high perception and gauntlets of accuracy for endless crits. Ive used dual sabers plenty of times (resolution and purgatory and dual bittercuts with corrosive lash) but I still prefer dual rimecutters with high accuracy. 

Also what can work really nicely is dual bleak fang with vulnerable attack and ryona's vambraces.

There is really so many awesome combinations though.

Hmm, I did not consider dual daggers or rapiers (though I did consider them on off-hand with heavier main-hand weapons). They are not very useful for special attacks like FoD though, right? So you'd need to give them to auto-attackers - like Fighters, I guess?

Yes, dual Bleak Fang with maxed DR bypass is nice. I only loathe the single damage type...

Yeah, I am so tempted to break lore for Gimli and giving him dual hammers...

Goddamn, Tolkien, why did you not make Gimli a smith? ;)

Hmm, I did not consider dual daggers or rapiers (though I did consider them on off-hand with heavier main-hand weapons). They are not very useful for special attacks like FoD though, right? So you'd need to give them to auto-attackers - like Fighters, I guess?

Yeah dual stiletto would be pretty lame for pally FoD. Honestly try using dual bittercut both with corrosive lash on a bleak walker paladin then take scion of flame and spirit of decay. If you want to do really stupid damage make an aumaua or dwarf bleak walker with living lands and maxed might. Take effigy's resentment eder or maneha for +1 might, gift from the machine and galawain's boon (+1 str each). Merciless hand and dungeon delver. Get bittercut, make it superb and duplicate it with helwax mold. Take all FoD buffs for bleak walker then scion of flame and spirit of decay like i mentioned before. Get Maegfolc skull for +4 might and ryona's vambraces for +3 dr bypass and spec vulnerable attack. Then with your OP dual bittercuts go and FoD a random mob and watch it explode into little giblets.

Btw dual hammer is really cool also, shatterstar has annihilating and then there is godansthunyr which is amazing dual wielded with a barb. 

Imo the best weapons for FoD is pretty much what has already been stated in this thread. Firebrand, hours of st rumbalt, bittercut, an arquebus, dulcanale etc. 

Edited by Ymiraku
  • Like 1

In ch.2, besides Drawn in Spring, Bittercut and Rimecutter you have Danulya, Shatterstar and Resolution worth mentioning. I wouldn't include Cladhaliath on ch.2 because that means losing the critical dmg bonus from the Doemenels... In ch.3, besides what was already mentioned, you have also Strike Hard which is at least as good as Rimecutter and the Last Blade of the White Forge which is slightly worse but looks better ;) .

• Like 1

Yeah dual stiletto would be pretty lame for pally FoD. Honestly try using dual bittercut both with corrosive lash on a bleak walker paladin then take scion of flame and spirit of decay. If you want to do really stupid damage make an aumaua or dwarf bleak walker with living lands and maxed might. Take effigy's resentment eder or maneha for +1 might, gift from the machine and galawain's boon (+1 str each). Merciless hand and dungeon delver. Get bittercut, make it superb and duplicate it with helwax mold. Take all FoD buffs for bleak walker then scion of flame and spirit of decay like i mentioned before. Get Maegfolc skull for +4 might and ryona's vambraces for +3 dr bypass and spec vulnerable attack. Then with your OP dual bittercuts go and FoD a random mob and watch it explode into little giblets.

Btw dual hammer is really cool also, shatterstar has annihilating and then there is godansthunyr which is amazing dual wielded with a barb. 

Imo the best weapons for FoD is pretty much what has already been stated in this thread. Firebrand, hours of st rumbalt, bittercut, an arquebus, dulcanale etc. 

Hey, thanks for the oodles of advice.

The problem with a lot of your suggestions is that I try to balance between gameplay efficiency and role-play, and I really do not like to play "evil" or "monstrous' characters. So stuff like Aumaua (which seems a lot like PoE's stand-in for Orcs) or Bleak Walkers are out of my role-play comfort. I also think Wayfarers are more effective for my game-play style, too, as I heavily rely on the on-kill heals.

I did use Bittercut and Purgatory for my Wayfarer Paladin the last playthrough, and I was fairly satisfied. But I want to try something else this time - either a Tidefall version or a dual hammer version.

In ch.2, besides Drawn in Spring, Bittercut and Rimecutter you have Danulya, Shatterstar and Resolution worth mentioning. I wouldn't include Cladhaliath on ch.2 because that means losing the critical dmg bonus from the Doemenels... In ch.3, besides what was already mentioned, you have also Strike Hard which is at least as good as Rimecutter and the Last Blade of the White Forge which is slightly worse but looks better ;) .

I am actually planning on annihilating the Doemenels for extra cash and role-play. It seems like 0.3 crit multiplier isn't all that great on Paladin, because Paladins have low crit on PotD. Also, they seem to be the most "evil" faction among the three choosable ones. Yes, I was considering using Strike Hard on a dual hammer wielder - main hand will be Godansthuynr and the off-hand will be either Shatterstar or Strike Hard. And if I have 2 dual wield hammers, then perhaps I will duplicate Godansthuynr and use Shatterstar for one and Strike Hard on the other.

I am actually planning on annihilating the Doemenels for extra cash and role-play. It seems like 0.3 crit multiplier isn't all that great on Paladin, because Paladins have low crit on PotD. Also, they seem to be the most "evil" faction among the three choosable ones. Yes, I was considering using Strike Hard on a dual hammer wielder - main hand will be Godansthuynr and the off-hand will be either Shatterstar or Strike Hard. And if I have 2 dual wield hammers, then perhaps I will duplicate Godansthuynr and use Shatterstar for one and Strike Hard on the other.

RP aside, once you have durganized weapons the +0.3 crit dmg is always the best choice. Also the paladin is not that bad either because Sworn Enemy/FoD allow him to land quite a few criticals during each fight. 

• Like 1

RP aside, once you have durganized weapons the +0.3 crit dmg is always the best choice. Also the paladin is not that bad either because Sworn Enemy/FoD allow him to land quite a few criticals during each fight. 

Ah, I forgot about Sworn Enemy, as I hadn't gotten it yet in my recent (now lost) playthrough.

How does FoD compare in terms of Tidefall v. dual Bittercuts?

Ah, I forgot about Sworn Enemy, as I hadn't gotten it yet in my recent (now lost) playthrough.

How does FoD compare in terms of Tidefall v. dual Bittercuts?

FoD is better with 2xBittercuts because of the higher base damage, but if you want the higher dps overall then Tidefall is better.

Higher base damage? Ah - you mean because of 2 * base damage  (Bittercut) compared to 1* base damage (Tidefall)?

I did some calculations with Bittercut, Tidefall, Hours oSR, Firebrand and arquebus under normal conditions against 0, 10 and 20 DR and Kaylon is right: 2*Bittercut is overall the best option because it's hard to beat the two strikes with  a lot of dmg bonuses + lashes - compared to one strike.

Obviously: the higher the DR the smaller the gap. Against 30 DR Tidefall will be the better option I presume.

Until late game, when you get access to powerful enchantments and durgan steel, Firebrand is number one (assuming you crit a lot with FoD). 

But for auto-attacks Tidefall is better. Also if you include Runner's Wounding Shot. Even Hours oSR is better at some point (enough speed) if you assume a decent crit rate. And the prone on crit is obviously very nice, too - since it leads to less damage that you get and more crits on the target.

So all in all: if you combine all the damage you do during an encounter... maybe it doesn't matter that much? :)

Edited by Boeroer