I posted in another forum section but an user recommanded me to post it here. The most importantts question for me is my first one, I'm very unsure how to build Aloth and Durance.

1) I'm unsure wich talents to give to Aloth and Durance.

2) Also, is it better to jail Nyrid or kill him ? My instinct was to kill him, but also because I do not have any jail built.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by ManOWar2

So any clue about Talents I should select for Aloth and Durance ?

I would mostly use Aloth as a main caster attacking from long range when he is not casting.

For Durance, I currently gave him an arbalet, still unsure wich weapons he should use. My chanter NPC companion has an arquebuse I thought to give him but at the same time, I like my chanter to have an arquebuse when he's not using his two-hand weapons.

I answered your questions in the "Stories" subforum where you placed the original post. I only forgot Durance. So here comes Durance:

Ranged arquebus shooter:

- Inspiring Radiance

- Weapon Focus Soldier

- Inspired Flame

- Quick Switch

- Arms Bearer

- Aggrandizing Radiance

- Marksman

- Scion of Flame

Give him three arquebuses with burning lashes. Cast Holy Radiance right at the start of combat and then fire, switch, fire, switch, fire. This way you can do easier encounters without using spells. In tougher fights cast Holy Power or Champion's Boon or Minor Avatar, then Holy Radiance and then shoot.

Melee offtank:

- Veteran's Recovery

- Weapon & Shield Style

- Inspiring Radiance

- Interdiction

- Painful Interdiction

- Superior Deflection

- Bonus 4th level spell

- Scion of Flame

Start combat with Holy Radiance and other buffs, followed by Interdiction, then stand around and cast your other stuff when needed. It's also smart to cast Consecrated Ground before getting into contact with the enemy. Durance is slow...

The bonus 4th level spell is for Devotions of the Faithful. You should use this spell as often as possible. Its accuracy bonus stacks with Inspiring Radiance and also other accuracy bonuses.

Melee supermarker:

- Veteran's Recovery

- Inspiring Radiance

- Weapon Focus Soldier

- Inspiring Flame

- Two Weapon Style

- Gallant's Focus (if you have no paladin with Zealous Focus) or Aggrandizing Radiance

- Savage Attack

- Scion of Flame

Give him two swords. Do the Crucible Knight's questline and get Shame or Glory, put a burning lash on it. If you get the Helwax Mold, clone Shame or Glory.

Use Devotions + Radiance and then attack an enemy together with one of your main damage dealers. The damage dealer will get an accuracy bonus of +54. Also use Minor Avatar and stuff for your own benefit in combat.

Two handed Juggernaut:

- Veteran's Recovery

- Inspiring Radiance

- Inspiring Flame

- Weapon Focus Soldier

- Scion of Flame

- Two Handed Style

- Aggrandizing Radiance

- Savage Attack

Get an arquebus and use it with Radiance in trash fights. Put on the Forgemaster's Gloves (you can buy them from Dunstan in Crucible Keep after you completed the initial quest for the Crucible Knights which will NOT lock you out of the other factions in Defiance Bay). In tougher fights cast Holy Power/Champion's Boon/Minor Avatar + Radiance + Devotions and summon Firebrand. Go and wreck stuff with that sword when not casting. Later in White march fetch St. Ydwen's Redeemer or The Grey Sleeper and use one of those when not summoning Firebrand. All those two handers work with Weapon Focus Knight and also Inspired Flames' bonus.

Da brawler:

- Veteran's Recovery

- Novice's Suffering

- Inspiring Radiance

- Outlander's Frenzy

- Two Weapon Style

- Aggrandizing Radiance

- Vulnerable Attack

- Weapon Focus Peasant

Raise your MIG as high as possible with items, put on Sandals of the Forgotten Friar when you find them (White March 2nd bounty with the monk) cast Radiance + Outlander's Frenzy and punch away. The mechanics of Novice's Suffering make it so that it doesn't matter much if you graze or hit or crit, but high MIG buffs your melee damage significantly.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the amazing reply, I will certainly refer to it.

So basically it's better not to use the equipement he comes with ? lol...

What about brillant radiance ? no good ?

Edited by ManOWar2

Glad I could help. :)

The staff itself is good. But since priests of Magran don't get special accuracy bonuses with quarterstaffs (only longsword, arquebus and soulbound or summoned weapons) I would give it to somebody else like a barbarian, a monk or a melee wizard - or whoever can make better use of it.

Sadly, Brilliant Radiance is one of the worst talents in the whole game. I would never use it.

Edited by Boeroer

It gives everybody in range +10 accuracy and that stacks with every other accuracy buff. It is very useful if you cast it early in encounters and then use debuffs on the enemy (to make sure they hit). Rule of thumb is: buff (your accuracy), debuff enemies' defenses, deal damage.

• Like 1

I guess inspiring radiance is really good as I see it in every of your build.

Guess I'm gonna go safe and pick it first.

Yeap, Inspiriting Radiance is worth it. Boeroer already explained why)

But still, it might be a good idea to take Inderdiction + Painful Interdiction before it.

Because enemies affected by Dazed + Weakened suffer from:

• -28 fortitude
  • -28 will
  • -8 reflex
  • -12 accuracy
  • x0.85 recovery slow down
  • aprox. 6% action slow down
  • up to minus 10% total endurance
  • up to minus 10% aoe radius plus cc and dot duration
  • -2 movement speed (and default run speed is 4)
  • susceptibility to sneak attacks
Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 3

Painful Interdiction is nice - the size of the AoE always amazes me. But if I choose Painful Interdiction I always make sure I have Inspiring Radiance first. This way you get +10 ACC for both interdiction rolls (dazing & weakening) without using a single per-rest spell. Since Interdiction's duration is rather short, it's good to do crits with it to get longer durations or to make sure it really hits.

• Like 1

In harder and boss fights absolutely. Buffing accuracy is the first step.

In fast/easy encounters it depends. Sometimes I skip using the Radiance because the fight is over in ~10-12 seconds.

Very simple for me now with all your helps guys.

As I'm level 3 Durance and need to get it to level 5, I will pick Inspiring radiance and interdiction most likely. If I decide to give him a sword or arequebuse I will give him inspired flame also.

Thanks for all the help people, wonderful forum.

Any more advice for Aloth ? I like many opinions.

Thanks again.

I intend to use Aloth mainly as a ranged attacker with scepter or wand and casting spells. Are bonus spell talents Worth it ?

Penetrating Blast since he has blast ?

Thanks.

I really dont take the bonus spells talents. There is equipment and later on per encounter with mastery, you should have plenty spells to throw. It depends on what you want to do with him. If you like certain types of damage then one of the bonus utility talents could be interesting. The ranged talents like +accuracy are interesting for him with implements. Penetrating shot also. The other wizard talents beside the bonus spells are useful. I think the standard use for Aloth is CC but there are plenty of damage AOE spells also. Also depends on if you are playing on POTD. If so then some of the defensive talents to shore up some of the defenses. Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Dangerous Implements for more ranged implement damage. I dont think sneak attack helps with spells though if I remember right. I think i read the interrupting blows works with some spells for extra CC, haven't tried that one though. 

I like to make an amoured Icemage out of Aloth. Rymgrand's Mantle, Secret of Rime for starters. Also the White Spire for extra Blizzard spells, switching to hatchet and shield when necessary and defensive talents to sure him up and of course the White Crest armour and helm since he will be a Chillfog bastion usually holding a flank by himself. This build requires NOT fighting at doorways but instead using as much openness as possible.

Same can be done for Firemage.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

It's a pity that Rymrgand's Mantle doesn't heal your self inflicted freeze damage like from Chillfog. This would be so cool combined with healing mods and Infuse with Vital Essence. Like Sacred Immolation but with blind and lvl 4. ;)

I really dont take the bonus spells talents. There is equipment and later on per encounter with mastery, you should have plenty spells to throw. It depends on what you want to do with him. If you like certain types of damage then one of the bonus utility talents could be interesting. The ranged talents like +accuracy are interesting for him with implements. Penetrating shot also. The other wizard talents beside the bonus spells are useful. I think the standard use for Aloth is CC but there are plenty of damage AOE spells also. Also depends on if you are playing on POTD. If so then some of the defensive talents to shore up some of the defenses. Apprentice's Sneak Attack, Dangerous Implements for more ranged implement damage. I dont think sneak attack helps with spells though if I remember right. I think i read the interrupting blows works with some spells for extra CC, haven't tried that one though. 

So what about penetrating blast ? Is it really Worth it since he already has blast ?

Yes - if you want to use Blast as a DPS tool. Imagine you hit four enemies at once with Blast and now, with Penetrating Blast, you'll have 5 more DR bypass. That's like +20 damage per shot. And it has no drawbacks.

It's not a blast effect on its own. Penetrating Blast just modifies the normal Blast.

Edited by Boeroer

• 2 weeks later...