Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What you did today

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Are veterans who die outside of combat included ? I think you guys need another day off for those if not :p

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Not...specifically, but Veterans Day more or less covers it to the same effect.

(e): Condolences, Tale.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 29 May 2017 - 07:43 AM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ah. Always thought Veteran's day was for the living and Memorial Day was for the dead.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Well, Veterans Day is really more honoring veterans, dead or alive, which is what I was getting at with my "not specifically" comment, :p

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
We have Rememberance Day here that does all. I think we're getting cheated of a day off somehow.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Well as requently happens here in the US a holiday tends to morph into other things as time passes. Veterans Day used to be Armistice Day to mark the end of WWI. Memorial Day actually goes back to the post Civil War south IIRC. The tradition was to place flowers and flags on the graves of fallen soldiers. That tradition is still practiced today nationwide. I don't remember when it became a real holiday but I believe it happened rather gradually.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
My birthday was on memorial day this year and my kids mom surprised me with lodging at the great wolf lodge.
Still here with the kids and her and it's a great place! Having a great time, this place is awesome.
  • ShadySands, Azdeus, BruceVC and 1 other like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5196 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Happy Birthday!!!!

• Azdeus and redneckdevil like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Working from home when I realized I have literally no issues to work on. Tad problematic now :lol:

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12142 posts

It's a working from the Roost kind of day surrounded by canine furry four-leggeds doing most distracting and endearing things!

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Had a couple interviews today and I didn't think I nailed them but they both already called me back with offers. Another interview tomorrow and I think one Friday as well

One of my dogs seems to have a UTI and has a vet appointment tomorrow

That's it for me

• BruceVC and redneckdevil like this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

My birthday was on memorial day this year and my kids mom surprised me with lodging at the great wolf lodge.
Still here with the kids and her and it's a great place! Having a great time, this place is awesome.

Happy birthday! =)

• redneckdevil likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Happy belated Birthday!

• redneckdevil likes this

Eumaios

Eumaios

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 87 posts

Hey, random part of the internet, this random internet guy just got accepted to the nursing master's program and received his first email from his advisor today!  Huzzah!  Considering where my life was some scant five years ago, I would classify this as a miracle!  With any luck, I'll be going for my DNP soon after I'm done!

Don't want to bore people about it, but there had to be some place for me to jump for joy without carrying on long enough to get on anyone's nerves!

• Gfted1, TrueNeutral, ShadySands and 3 others like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Congrats

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Congrats!

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10512 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

I drank about 11 Angry Orchard hard ciders over three hours Saturday night. And started chatting up an old High School ladyfriend on Facebook as a result.

I don't think it went terribly.

Edit: Also, I'm about 80% sure my wallet is in the wash.

• Hurlshot likes this

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Finished buying all my stuff for next weekend's 24hr endurance obstacle race - True Grit. You have to be self sufficient with your stuff in a pit area with the other competitors. Have my marquee, stretcher bed, table, chair, portable stove, food, race nutrition, wetsuit, etc. It's a 10.8 km (6.7 mile) loop with 30 obstacles and you have to see how many laps you can do in 24hrs. There's solo and team events and I'm doing it solo. Last years solo winner did 14 laps and is aiming to do 15 this year.

This is my first time at it and I'm told the cold is the worst part being in the middle of winter and that water is going to feel like ice.

• Hurlshot likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

story time

my mother and grandma came to visit me for easter with my brother. my brother left because he only had 2 days of leave and had to go back to work, so after they stayed here for a week, i took them back home in my car and decided to stay there a week myself (i live 350km from where my mother lives)

i was thinking of coming home Sunday but my mother asked me to take my grandma to visit her brother on that day so i said "ok, i can leave Monday".

Monday, my mother needed me to take her to an event hosted by the ministry of education (she's a teacher and she doesn't drive) in the evening so i had to stay one more day back.

Tuesday, just as i was getting ready to go, the phone rings and i learn that my uncle (my father's brother) died and the funeral was Thursday.

i had to stay until Thursday to take my mother to the funeral (280km in the opposite direction from where i live) and we got back Friday.

meanwhile, my grandma's sister was diagnosed with cancer (she lives close to where i live) so my mother asked me to take my grandma on Sunday, bring her to her sister and then go home... she would take the bus back later.

on the way the car breaks down, the engine went FUBAR (3rd time overheating) and i had to go back to my mother's home. the mechanic said that it would take 1000 euro to put in an undamaged used engine (if i payed cash "tax free")

i called a cousin of mine who is a mechanic and he told me that more or less that is the price anyone would ask, but that it was far too risky to do the engine swap in a 17 year old car, since there is no chance to find a new engine and even with the best of intentions, there is no guarantee that the used put in would not break down in a month.

so i went out on the hunt for a decent used car

i was taking my time to see if i may stumble upon a good offer as i did back in 2004, when i found that 4 year old Hyundai (1500cc, 90bhp) with only 30k km for just 4000 euro

but the anxiety of my grandma about her sister was growing exponentially every day that passed and i didn't get a new car and by Friday she got herself a stroke

so, being the only person who had no work to do, i had to pass a week babysitting my grandma in the hospital (the severity of the stroke was barely 1/10 so she was pretty much back to normal after 24 hours, but standard procedure in these cases is to keep the patient inside for 1 week for observation)

so for that week i didn't get any chance to look for a car since i was staying 12 hours in the hospital to put my mother's mind at ease.

after my grandma came home, i went back to searching and by Friday i found a Chevrolet Lacetti of 2006 (1600cc, 110bhp) with only 70k km at 3000 euro (the guy selling it was leaving for Australia by the end of June and couldn't take the car with him, so he was giving it away cheap)

however, the ministry department where purchases of new cars or swapping of a car's ownership are registered, needs a week after registration to provide the card that is proof of ownership of a car and allows to drive it legally

and this is how my one week time off, became 6 weeks of suffering... and of keeping my business closed

Edited by teknoman2, 03 June 2017 - 06:05 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5196 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wow thats a lot on your plate! Condolences on your family loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users