Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What you did today

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6639 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

i miss my Toyota celica

Celicas were nice, sort of the little cousin of the Supra.  By that same token, I miss Mazda RX's.  They are making a new one, the RX-9, in 2019, though I don't know if they'll make it a production car or if it will just remain a super limited production concept car.  I kinda think Mazda will make it a production run, for a year or two, anyway.  They seem intent on keeping the Wakel rotary engine alive.

• Hurlshot likes this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1348 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

my mother decided at age 62 to learn how to drive so she asked me to teach her. i gave her some practical advice so she can start the car smoothly at 1st gear and go forward at low speed but she can't help herself from slamming the brakes instead of pushing the pedal softly and just can't remember to keep the clutch pressed when she stops the car so it keeps stalling. the first lesson was earlier today in an empty parking lot and the moment i told her to take a left turn and bring the car around, she panicked and just slammed the brakes (obviously without pressing the clutch). she feels too intimidated by the task to do things calmly and i don't know if my car will survive the lessons

I know this is something you can't control (you own the car you own) but an automatic would be so much easier for a first-timer (especially an elderly first-timer) to learn on.  If you know anyone willing to let her learn on a 'matic to start that would help tremendously (she can learn stick later...  or not).

Edit: As an aside, I would have bought a stick shift except that I live in Charlotte, and a stick shift in a major city is a terrible idea, hence why I got a 'matic.  It has sport mode and I can put it into manual too (not geared the same as a true stick shift, though), but I almost never use manual (except a couple times just to try it out) nor sport mode, because the car has plenty of get up n go for my purposes in regular 'matic mode (enough acceleration that if I pull into a road and realize that I just cut someone off that I can floor it and it accelerates quickly enough that I won't be too much of an ***hole in that scenario).

automatics over here are one in a million. 99% of drivers drive stick and all of them look down on those driving automatics. the consensus is: automatics are for people who don't know how to drive!

the problem is not the transmission though, its my mother's "scaredy cat" attitude towards driving that makes her go into panic mode in the middle of an empty parking lot.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8473 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I will buy an RX-9 in 4 years. It is written in stone.
  • Guard Dog and Keyrock like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6639 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

It's an amazing looking car (in its current concept form):

mazda-rx-vision-concept-001-1.jpg

2017-02-15_16-48-45.jpg

Edited by Keyrock, 23 July 2017 - 02:33 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8473 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ok, that looks expensive. I will have an RX-9 if they keep it under $35k, I should say. :p

The RX-8 was pretty reasonably priced, so I hope they keep that trend. 

Edited by Hurlshot, 23 July 2017 - 04:07 PM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1348 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's an amazing looking car (in its current concept form):

mazda-rx-vision-concept-001-1.jpg

2017-02-15_16-48-45.jpg

i find the design pointlessly long. i think it would look better if the part from the door to the front bumper was 20-25% shorter, the rest is fine

Edited by teknoman2, 23 July 2017 - 11:06 PM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10513 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

I just blew about $80 on playing cards. I forgot I even had this weakness!

Two are pre-marked decks and ones a stripper deck. And then some decks that simply looked pretty. :(

And I might mark up one of my bicycle decks when I get home. Never done it before, but now's the time to try.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6860 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Updating resume based on more office freaking out. Did listen to some Sepultura to tune it out. Nice band, early stuff is like Slayer without the sucking. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users