Who will publish the Game? not Paradox I hope?

Dear Dev,

Please dont use Paradox as your publisher. Their pricing policy is atrocious. Recently citing the "possbile growth of" purchasing power, they increased the price of all games they published for Obsidian by almost 50% on steam. Pillars of Eternity went up from CNY 122 to CNY 185, the ultimate version costs CNY 412 ($99.99) from CNY 248($59,99), a 66% increase. https://steamdb.info/sub/107937/

And the price of tyranny went up as well, from CNY 122 to CNY 185, effectively rendering my 25% off coupon mote.

The price hike is not limited to one region. It happened across a wide range of markets like Brazil, China, Russia, Turkey, etc. But in reality, the economy has not been kind for most people in these countries. I dont mind paying a bit more for your game if it is meant to be this way in the first place. I love your games from the days before obsidian even existed and I've purchased almost all of them on steam and promoted them among my friends actively. Be it Pillars of eternity, Tyranny or even classic games like Fallout: New vegas, etc.

It is just not popular that the price of a game increases after one year without any real reasoning or action, since most game price would remain the same or even drop over time.

I understand people need money to live or to make great games. and if need be, I will gladly support you guys in a new crowdfunding campaign. 

TL; DR:  I fear the pricing policy of publisher like Paradox will actually hurt your sales.

• Like 2

I hope it's self-published at least in the west. Maybe CDPR could publish it in certain select European regions. I've long been a fan of Paradox but just recently they have started to rub me the wrong way. Paradox is also trying to sell to Tencent, at least that was the last I heard. Or Tencent was one of the interested parties, but I know Paradox is seeking investment to grow, they are publicly traded after all.

Obsidian is in a really tight place, after Paradox throwing them under the bus a bit with Tyranny I think Paradox has Paradox in mind. Kind of going the way of Zenimax if you will.

Maybe Devolver could publish it?

Man if only there was a PC-centric company who owned an entire content distribution system that was privately owned that could publish games and not force the games to be restricted to their own store...

Fig is also a publishing platform, so I guess it will be published via Fig. Given that Feargus is part of Fig I would be very surprised if this is not the case.

I also think they have to publish via Fig because how else are they supposed to handle the crowd-investments?

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/invest

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Presumably the prices will come down at some point, and there are always sales to consider. It may just be a matter of being willing to wait long enough.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Fig is also a publishing platform, so I guess it will be published via Fig. Given that Feargus is part of Fig I would be very surprised if this is not the case.

I also think they have to publish via Fig because how else are they supposed to handle the crowd-investments?

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/invest

I sort of assumed Fig would be considered the publisher I guess, but they still need distributors and localization. Which I don't think Fig will be handling.

I hope it's self-published at least in the west. Maybe CDPR could publish it in certain select European regions. I've long been a fan of Paradox but just recently they have started to rub me the wrong way. Paradox is also trying to sell to Tencent, at least that was the last I heard. Or Tencent was one of the interested parties, but I know Paradox is seeking investment to grow, they are publicly traded after all.

Obsidian is in a really tight place, after Paradox throwing them under the bus a bit with Tyranny I think Paradox has Paradox in mind. Kind of going the way of Zenimax if you will.

Man if only there was a PC-centric company who owned an entire content distribution system that was privately owned that could publish games and not force the games to be restricted to their own store...

What do you mean when you say that Paradox thew Obsidian under the bus with Tyranny? Something happened?

What do you mean when you say that Paradox thew Obsidian under the bus with Tyranny? Something happened?

Well, that does need contextualized and curtailed a bit. It's not like a business agreement was violated. But Paradox went on record saying that everyone at Paradox expected it to do better. Ergo, something went amiss in the market and Obsidian product.

Well, that does need contextualized and curtailed a bit. It's not like a business agreement was violated. But Paradox went on record saying that everyone at Paradox expected it to do better. Ergo, something went amiss in the market and Obsidian product.

Not with PDX's price hikes across regions, I dont think the sales of both Pillars or Tyranny would increase too much in the future. Many people who are interested in these kinds of games have already purchased them (just look at the number of people who like to gift away their Tyranny coupon in this forum). It s people who never tried obsidian isometric that should be targeted. But with such hefty price hikes without any regard of the real purchasing power of the regions, it's really hard to promote these games to friends, at least that's the case for me. 

For context see this article: Why didn't Tyranny sell? Paradox on Obsidian's RPG (PCGamesN).

• Like 1

For context see this article: Why didn't Tyranny sell? Paradox on Obsidian's RPG (PCGamesN).

Sounds like a case of overexpectations. Why can't Obsidian just publish it themselves?

Well, Obsidian wants to self-publish. The cost saved funds expanding the company and they can give themselves a better deal. It's efficient since everything is in house. But you have to build the initial capital and if you aren't releasing games frequently enough then that division is too idle.

Obsidian is pretty big for what it is, and certainly works with tight turn around unlike other companies. They may not be ready yet to make a jump, but that is the direction they are striving for.

So the game simply didn't sell all that well. I don't find it surprising. If I were to blame some I would blame marketing. Not that they focused on the "evil" part, but that they kept talking about choices which you have to do with limited time, that you won't be able to do all quests etc etc. I remember initial reception being quite negative because of it and it did put me off from buying it until quite recently. While entertaining I didn't find it that intriguing or bold, and while I would buy a sequel I am much more excited for PoE2 than this. Maybe if classless system was more flexible and fleshed out... sequel could certainly be great.

• Like 1