Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pathfinder CRPG with Avellone and without Obsidian announced

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1840 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's real time with pause.

Seems that Obsidian aen't getting projects that I think they should get, but I know nothing about video game business.

They don't have a team to work on it though, not to mention an another fantasy setting right now would be an overkill as they already have Tyranny DLC's and Pillars 2 coming up.

rheingold

rheingold

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Excited about Avellone being involved, just concerned about the studio not having any experience. There have been some rather dodgy rpg's released recently by some small relatively unknown studios. The dwarves and Sword Coast come to mind.  I certainly don't have any high expectations even if CA is involved. Just hope he doesn't destroy his reputation over this.

• rjshae likes this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Excited about Avellone being involved, just concerned about the studio not having any experience. There have been some rather dodgy rpg's released recently by some small relatively unknown studios. The dwarves and Sword Coast come to mind.  I certainly don't have any high expectations even if CA is involved. Just hope he doesn't destroy his reputation over this.

What reputation? He seems to work on any game that he is asked to work on at this point. His career at the moment seems to be more of a glorified KS stretch goal than an actual narrative designer.

I would love him to focus on a project or two, instead of writing for multiple games at once. Then I could actually expect something from a game he is working on, instead of wondering how little work he actually did on the project and how he was paid and used to get some name recognition for the game. 

kanisatha

kanisatha

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I find this news very interesting because I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder world as well as 3.5 edition D&D, but I do wonder about the reputation (or lack thereof) of the developer. And I do think Obsidian is making a big mistake by walking away from doing a Pathfinder cRPG themselves, though I applaud them for not standing in the way of Paizo going to someone else.

As for the game being "generic," yeah maybe so except for one thing. The press release makes a big point of emphasizing the game as being not just a standard isometric party-based cRPG but also equally a "kingdom-builder" game. This is the aspect of the game that I am most attracted to as I LOVE kingdom/empire-builder games in high-fantasy/medieval settings. This aspect of this game does give it a unique/different dimension and separates it from the crowd.

I'm keeping my expectations contained, but I'm also vigorously rooting for its success.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 955 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I love Pathfinder but this just killed my excitement for the game. At least with obsidian I know the writing will be enjoyable.
Looks like a game I will forget until I see it on a steam sale.

rheingold

rheingold

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What reputation? He seems to work on any game that he is asked to work on at this point. His career at the moment seems to be more of a glorified KS stretch goal than an actual narrative designer.

I would love him to focus on a project or two, instead of writing for multiple games at once. Then I could actually expect something from a game he is working on, instead of wondering how little work he actually did on the project and how he was paid and used to get some name recognition for the game. 

I think that's the point :) It would be fantastic if he had complete control creative control of a game. He still had a good reputation currently, which will suffer if he continues the way he's been going.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I think that's the point :) It would be fantastic if he had complete control creative control of a game. He still had a good reputation currently, which will suffer if he continues the way he's been going.

Well, he also doesn't get any younger, so maybe he will keep this up for a while, to recharge his creative batteries? Let's wait and see.

As for the game:

- They aren't experienced as I understood it. Some of them worked on the old rpg "Evil Island" and "Heroes V". They just have to heave a game like this in their current team. Let's see, how it turns out.

- "Kingmaker" does read like one big stronghold-quest. Works fine for me! I love me some rival barons to battle and my homebase to defend.

- I'm interested in the setting. Isn't the Pathfinder one of those weird worlds, where my medieval warrior can fight monsters from space? That sounds pulpy enough to be very fun and could give them some ideas for interesting set pieces.

- I'm curious how much threads will ask the developers, if they have any romances planned  ;) .

Edited by Harry Easter, 24 May 2017 - 12:37 PM.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4291 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I find this news very interesting because I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder world as well as 3.5 edition D&D, but I do wonder about the reputation (or lack thereof) of the developer. And I do think Obsidian is making a big mistake by walking away from doing a Pathfinder cRPG themselves, though I applaud them for not standing in the way of Paizo going to someone else.

As for the game being "generic," yeah maybe so except for one thing. The press release makes a big point of emphasizing the game as being not just a standard isometric party-based cRPG but also equally a "kingdom-builder" game. This is the aspect of the game that I am most attracted to as I LOVE kingdom/empire-builder games in high-fantasy/medieval settings. This aspect of this game does give it a unique/different dimension and separates it from the crowd.

I'm keeping my expectations contained, but I'm also vigorously rooting for its success.

I couldn't agree more. This sounds like a fantastic game concept to me.

Weird, though. Just a couple of months back, Obsidian had us fill in this extensive survey, with plenty of questions like "How do you feel about our making a party-based Pathfinder CRPG?"...

What was all that about, then?

Actually, I'm hoping that Obsidian will be making their own Pathfinder CRPG in the not so far future. *Fingers crossed*

• Raithe, rjshae and kanisatha like this

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It seems pretty clear to me that Obsidian chose to prioritize the PoE IP, which they own and have full creative control over, instead of pursuing a licensed product. Makes sense considering PoE's success and, seeing how Deadfire managed to raise even more money and is looking f***ing amazing, I'd say they made the right call. That's not to say I wouldn't want an Obsidian Pathfinder CRPG in the future -- I'd love one -- but now is clearly not the right time.

I'll be taking a wait-and-see approach to Kingmaker. I definitely want it to turn out great, but I don't know the developers and haven't played any of the games they worked on in the past, and (sadly) Chris Avellone's name is anything *but* an automatic seal of quality these days, after being attached to everyone and their grandma's projects in the past ~3 years. Let's hope they put out a solid Kickstarter campaign. That'll be the first step.

Edited by Lorfean, 01 June 2017 - 05:33 AM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2502 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://venturebeat....-the-base-game/

• Labadal likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3092 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nothing mentioned if it is based on PFRPG rules, or just lore like Pathfinder Online :-/

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3801 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Kickstarter is live! I backed at the $20 tier.

https://www.kickstar...?ref=nav_search

Edited by Labadal, 06 June 2017 - 07:45 AM.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3801 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

0998a2e5113db2f613e7315605495d75_origina

af69aa3f4c349624afe96162707fb0d1_origina

53230f1ce187637c28df7c05f5bc1d6f_origina

• Gfted1 likes this

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

Sword Enthusiast of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Only got the 25$ tier, but still, 3$ saved. Compared to PoE, my incentive to spend unreasonable amounts of money on this is much lower.

I wonder why Avellone is not listed as 'has worked on PoE' on his past projects.

Edited by Doppelschwert, 06 June 2017 - 10:25 AM.

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

Sword Enthusiast of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Sorry for double post.

Edited by Doppelschwert, 06 June 2017 - 10:25 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4646 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ruh-roh... I see a ridiculously oversized sword.

• Messier-31 likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8604 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Looks sooooo much like PoE. Is it turn based or real time? 

Seems worth a 25er.

edit: Ok, read up a bit, RT. Bummer.

Edited by Hurlshot, 06 June 2017 - 01:17 PM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7120 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

initial query:  there are 11 core pathfinder classes, so which is absent from kingmaker? 

http://paizo.com/pat...ok/classes.html

kickstarter does says 10+, so is possible the core 11 is already in the game, but is curious to us nevertheless. anybody can confirm if all 11 core is included?

HA! Good Fun!

ps is just a guess, but to answer doppelschwert, am expecting chrisA would rather cut out his own tongue with a rusty razor than be compelled to boast of his contribution to poe.  am assuming the question were serious. if were a joke, then, uh... good one?

Edited by Gromnir, 06 June 2017 - 01:32 PM.

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm intrigued but holding off on backing for now. Partly because they're an unknown developer and I've been burned by KS one too many times, but also because the game is getting made regardless of the success / failure of this campaign, which makes it feel more like a marketing tool than anything else. I like what I'm seeing so far though.

ps is just a guess, but to answer doppelschwert, am expecting chrisA would rather cut out his own tongue with a rusty razor than be compelled to boast of his contribution to poe.

I was thinking the same. Still -- PoE fans are clearly the target audience here, so it seems like a missed opportunity to not name drop it.

• Ethics Gradient likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No idea if it'll be good, but I hope so, would be lovely and would be happy to buy upon release.

MCA participating means nothing, he's endorsing and helping out with every bloody RPG known to man at this rate. We'll see if he actually has a substantial role to play this time.

• rjshae likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users