Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The relationship between Obsidian and Chris Avellone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ghamarro

Ghamarro

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Howdy folks,

I'm a long-time fan of Obsidian and Mr. Avellone and was disheartened to hear about his departure after PoE was finished. I was already getting myself hyped about seeing his work in The White March expansions and PoE2 but, alas, it didn't quite become so. I have tried to google some interviews in the hopes that he might shed some light on the subject, and even buggered him personally about it on Twitter, but to no avail. So my question is to you: What were the specific reasons he decided to leave? I'm obviously not wanting to poke on any personal issues here that either party wants to keep private, but what is the "official" and public-safe reason, so to speak? Did he just want to go freelance-style or was there somethihng that he disliked about working at Obsidian that would be moderately humane to disclose to the public (me)?

P.S. If it wasn't due to bad blood, would it be realistic to entertain thoughts about future projects between MCA and Obsidian? You know, like from a freelance point of view, collaboration-style. Maybe having him as a stretch-goal if he is willing to particiapate or something alike?

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

P.S. If it wasn't due to bad blood, would it be realistic to entertain thoughts about future projects between MCA and Obsidian? You know, like from a freelance point of view, collaboration-style. Maybe having him as a stretch-goal if he is willing to particiapate or something alike?

There's some bad blood given his comments in some interviews, I doubt he's going to be working with Obsidian for any future projects.
  • ShadySands, Azdeus and Valsuelm like this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Avellone left because there were too many people with the name Chris working at the company and none of them would agree to change their name.

In the immortal words of, erm, the Immortal, "There can be only one."

• Tigranes, kirottu, ShadySands and 5 others like this

Messier-31

Messier-31

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1543 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

As far as I know:

• MCU doesn't like working on fantasy settings all that much
  • Although both characters that he wrote for PoE are in the game (Durance and Grieving Mother), they posses only parts from their original concepts due to cuts from Obsidian

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4479 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think he also wanted to do lots of different kind of things, but he was always put to work as a writer.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm with KP on this one. Seems to be some bad blood judging by some of the tweets and interviews I've read

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6915 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

we can see obsidian and chris getting back together.  go for a spin in the old buick skylark. drive down riverside and reminisce. talk 'bout the good times. good times.

HA! Good Fun!

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1693 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

brutal, accurate, characterization

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10102 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Avellone in his later years at Obsidian was no longer taking a big role on a project, instead writing little bits and pieces here and there. Since he's left, this trend has actually intensified, and you can find his glowing endorsement on every RPG under the sun and 'advisory' or contributory roles for every other RPG. 

Who knows how much of that is down to him or Obsidian or whatever. As far as I'm concerned he can take my money ASAP once he decides to actually write a full game again - and if he doesn't, he's irrelevant.

• Bendu, Tale, Labadal and 3 others like this

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 668 posts

we can see obsidian and chris getting back together.  go for a spin in the old buick skylark. drive down riverside and reminisce. talk 'bout the good times. good times.

HA! Good Fun!

Train wreck of a movie. Even more nails on chalkboard than listening to Avellone speak.

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

HA! Good Fun!

Train wreck of a movie. Even more nails on chalkboard than listening to Avellone speak.

It's actually a pretty phenomenal movie. Avellone is the awesome. But he will not be getting back together with Obsidian again.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have tried to google some interviews in the hopes that he might shed some light on the subject, and even buggered him personally about it on Twitter, but to no avail.

He might object to being buggered by a stranger, perhaps you should just bug him about it?

• ShadySands and FlintlockJazz like this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

It's actually a pretty phenomenal movie. Avellone is the awesome. But he will not be getting back together with Obsidian again.

I'll also have to agree with Blodhemn on it, it's pretty poor. I did however enjoy the original version, Open Your Eyes. Recommended, especially for fans of the remake.

Edited by algroth, 21 May 2017 - 01:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users