Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect Franchise Put on Ice, BioWare New IP Delayed, Montreal Studio Downsized

Good Riddance

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Origin Systems?  Origin made Ultima and Wing Commander. It was the "crowning jewel" of EA in the 1990s.  This is very reminiscence of what happened to Origin after Ultima IX.  Soon afterward, projects got delayed... and then quietly cancelled a few months later.  Then, over the next couple years, EA shut down Origin, part by part. 

I recognize the pattern here.  It seems that another EA-acquired studio is gonna bite the dust soon.

Well, good riddance.

Edited by ktchong, 11 May 2017 - 02:30 AM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

The "downsizing" has been misframed somewhat, here and elsewhere: nobody got laid off, people were just shifted to other projects/teams, which makes perfect sense, seeing as the game has been released and all they're going to do now is do patches and maybe some DLCs (unless the "Mass Effect put on ice" means no DLC, too, I guess).

• Tel Aviv, Raithe and Azdeus like this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
As I understand it, reducing the size of development teams after a project launches is pretty standard. And I wouldn't expect BioWare to commit to a MEA sequel just yet anyway because in all likelihood, with all the other projects they having in the works, it would be another five years or longer before it came out.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10464 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Bioware Montreal isn't EA-acquired.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

Although half of the name is, :p.

...and also the franchise they were working on.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 11 May 2017 - 06:30 AM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4422 posts

Well whoever is to blame the mantra seems to hold true. Everything EA acquires turns to ****. 

• Mamoulian War, Gizmo, Jozape and 3 others like this

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1336 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Kind of being obvious for a long time.

First you close the forums, start moving people around, change priorities on projects, the book value of Bioware brand is going to fully clean in 10 year period.

The last step is left i.e. Time to rebrand various Bioware studios to EA studios and end it.

Not even caring. I was caring and upset when ME2 and DA2 came up. I was annoyed at ME3, indifferent at DA:I, where i bought it for complete trilogy only (and still can;t finish the damned thing).

Any other Bioware game after that simply does not exist for me. Bioware does not exist for me as a studio by now.

• Wormerine likes this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2874 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
Some people never learn... When do people realize, that giving EA money means, that they soon have enough money, to buyout and kill another quality studio again?

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2910 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I hope Andromeda gets a sequel, I liked it and it sets the stage for some interesting sequels

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4479 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I hope Andromeda gets a sequel, I liked it and it sets the stage for some interesting sequels

We don't take kindly to your types around here.
  • Oerwinde and Lexx like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
To be fair I think we all saw this coming.... Bioware is like the opposite of Obsidian in pretty much every way.

And yes, while I'm old enough to remember Origin Systems but I never cared to acknowledge them (Sorry).

The Know is a great news source btw. They are pretty much the only gaming news channel I watch frequently.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Paradox is only decent publisher who cares about their dev studios. Don't know any other. EA is the worst, worse even than Ubisoft
  • Mamoulian War likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hmm... I love my Ubisoft games. Rayman Legends is still the best platformer I've ever played. Far Cry 3, 4 and Blood Dragon are the only FPS to interest me. Beyomd Good and Evil was amazing. Watch Dogs had a better written campaign than GTA5 and Red Dead. uPlay is great for a free game every once and awhile and rewards players with dlc.

Edit: Also I don't think Ubisoft has ever "ruined" a franchise.

Edited by SonicMage117, 15 May 2017 - 07:55 AM.

marelooke

marelooke

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Funny video. They're working on a semi-MMO, kinda like DA:I? :fdevil:

Also EA being dedicated to "quality and innovation". Good lord, they're killing me. I mean, I'm willing to buy the first bit, maybe, but "innovation" and EA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1336 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Paradox is only decent publisher who cares about their dev studios. Don't know any other. EA is the worst, worse even than Ubisoft

2K perhaps

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1336 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hmm... I love my Ubisoft games. Rayman Legends is still the best platformer I've ever played. Far Cry 3, 4 and Blood Dragon are the only FPS to interest me. Beyomd Good and Evil was amazing. Watch Dogs had a better written campaign than GTA5 and Red Dead. uPlay is great for a free game every once and awhile and rewards players with dlc.

Heroes of Might and Magic.... Settlers and more than a few others

Edited by Darkpriest, 15 May 2017 - 09:48 AM.

• ShadySands and Mamoulian War like this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

2K perhaps

they are... decent

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am not saying they don't publish good games, I am saying they are ****ty publishers

Edited by Chilloutman, 15 May 2017 - 10:32 AM.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2183 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Heroes of Might and Magic.... Settlers and more than a few others

For ruined franchises? Not really fair, no other large publisher would touch that type of game or something like Might & Magic X with a barge pole, with a few exceptions (eg 2k and XCOM). But then other niche Ubi titles like the Anno series haven't been mentioned on their balance ledger either.

As for Paradox, people have short memories. Their history is of dreadfully optimised published games usually with dreadful bugs which are then dreadfully supported, plus more than occasional fallings out with their sub developers and some truly Bethesda level shenanigans. Their record recently has been better, but frankly it could scarcely have been worse, and they still have... problems. War of the Roses? Their dlc policy? Either would have got a roasting were it EA or Actiblizz doing it. PoE and Cities are successes, sure, much as Magicka was back in the day, but that alone doesn't make them 'nice' publishers. They tend to get a pass because their core games have a high fanboy density- not undeservedly, their internally developed games have nearly all been quality, albeit sometimes delayed quality- and they strive to maintain a reputation as an underdog. But...

Gettysburg: Armored Warfare? SOTS2 release fiasco? Stealing the title Achtung Panzer, which they've since never used? Trying to steal asterisking Mount & Blade as well (ironically, for War of the Roses)? Ship Simulator Extreme? Leviathan? Stalin vs Martians (so bad they've tried to expunge every mention of it)? Defenders of Ardania? A Game of Dwarfs? Impire? They've had more turkeys than Christmas and Thanksgiving combined.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10770 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Maybe this is obvious and I'm just not getting it, but why would EA buy/acquire existing developers only to then put them out of business?  If said developer is talented and worth purchasing in the first place, wouldn't it make more sense to keep them afloat?  And if they're not talented, why buy them in the first place?

I get that EA's done it in the past, so I'm not disputing it.  I'm more curious *why* they do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users