French Election : Macron Victory

BruceVC

So France and Germany is now lead by people with no stake in the future of their respective countries as they have no children of their own. Interesting.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Is that like the idea that people without religion are immoral?

So France and Germany is now lead by people with no stake in the future of their respective countries as they have no children of their own. Interesting.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Is that like the idea that people without religion are immoral?

no its like idea that people without religion push secular ideas. Don't understand where you get religion = morality

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Baby boomers had more kids than you can shake a stick at and the world's slowly stumbling towards catastrophe thanks to their active efforts. Seems to me that having kids is not a reliable predictor towards a person's ability to give a rat's ass about said kids' future.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

no its like idea that people without religion push secular ideas. Don't understand where you get religion = morality

It's a pretty popular idea, I am certainly not saying I agree with it. Of course the idea that you need to have children in order to respect the future also seems a bit off to me. 

It's a pretty popular idea, I am certainly not saying I agree with it. Of course the idea that you need to have children in order to respect the future also seems a bit off to me.

I was not agreeing with his statement completely, I just don't like your example at all. Especially you as teacher should know that morality was not associated with religion from dawn of civilisation (eg ancient Greek philosophers), and then you have people like Kant

Also most religions are amoral and hypocritical as example from bible:

"How do you want people to deal with you, so do you with them."

because it usually expect that its relevant for only followers of that religion, so its fine to be 'amoral' to others as long as they don't belong to your 'group'

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Given that we live on the cusp of what may be the most dramatic technological disruption of the workforce (i.e. automation), perhaps that Voluntary Human Extinction Movement was onto something. 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I was not agreeing with his statement completely, I just don't like your example at all. Especially you as teacher should know that morality was not associated with religion from dawn of civilisation (eg ancient Greek philosophers), and then you have people like Kant

because it usually expect that its relevant for only followers of that religion, so its fine to be 'amoral' to others as long as they don't belong to your 'group'

I wasn't talking about the history of religion or even the reality of religion. I was talking about perception. It is a popular perception in countries where these religions are dominant that Christianity and Islam provide a moral compass and those without it are lacking. Again, it is not an idea I agree with, I am simply saying it exists. My question was; is it similar to the idea that only people with children can be concerned about the future; which is what Meshugger put forward.

• Like 1

I wasn't talking about the history of religion or even the reality of religion. I was talking about perception. It is a popular perception in countries where these religions are dominant that Christianity and Islam provide a moral compass and those without it are lacking. Again, it is not an idea I agree with, I am simply saying it exists. My question was; is it similar to the idea that only people with children can be concerned about the future; which is what Meshugger put forward.

and that is why I wrote:

''no its like idea that people without religion push secular ideas.''

I would think that would be more like "People without kids push not having kids"

(edit: which they totally do with all their vacations and free time.  :p  )

Edited by Hurlshot

I would think that would be more like "People without kids push not having kids"

(edit: which they totally do with all their vacations and free time.   :p  )

more like people without kids push for private schools - there i finally make decent analogy

• Like 1

Sometimes people do fallaciously believe this, its a normal view I would think as if you have kids you may assume your concern for the future is logical ....but its a misperception, well meaning of course

I have many objectives for the future based on numerous realities....

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sometimes people do fallaciously believe this, its a normal view I would think as if you have kids you may assume your concern for the future is logical ....but its a misperception, well meaning of course

I have many objectives for the future based on numerous realities....

that's the problem, there is only one reality...

They may have nieces or nephews. Would be a good premise for a novel, a world where only the parents have a say.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My friend trust me there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the EU, it is exactly as it always has been. Its an economic union and offers any country that is prepared to integrate into the single market real economic growth and sustainability 

Unless you happen to be a country that Germany conveniently uses to devaluate the Euro in order to maximize their exports. In which case you're pretty much scewed for years to come. It also really put a dent to the entire "union" part of the union. Because instead of helping and punishing the real culprit of the entire mess it's time to kick someone who is already on their last leg for fun and profit.

Oh, and you're one of the biggest defenders of that. But that's okay I guess, I mean, it comes with the turf and all. ;)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My friend trust me there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the EU, it is exactly as it always has been. Its an economic union and offers any country that is prepared to integrate into the single market real economic growth and sustainability

Unless you happen to be a country that Germany conveniently uses to devaluate the Euro in order to maximize their exports. In which case you're pretty much scewed for years to come. It also really put a dent to the entire "union" part of the union. Because instead of helping and punishing the real culprit of the entire mess it's time to kick someone who is already on their last leg for fun and profit.

Oh, and you're one of the biggest defenders of that. But that's okay I guess, I mean, it comes with the turf and all. ;)

He isn't a defender, he just sees an illusion ^^

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

> what is patriotism

> what is being invested in your country's future on the basis of liking what your country stands for

sure buddy, the only way you could possibly be invested in your country's future is by having kids.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

(edit: which they totally do with all their vacations and free time.   :p  )

This

I don't have kids and I can totally recommend it

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Lest we forget:

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"sure buddy, the only way you could possibly be invested in your country's future is by having kids."

so muslims with their 50 kids are the greatest patriots after all

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

People base their morals on many things. Survival, reason, religion to name a few, but i see that as a different question, dwelving into the metaphysical.

> what is patriotism

> what is being invested in your country's future on the basis of liking what your country stands for

sure buddy, the only way you could possibly be invested in your country's future is by having kids.

Leaders without kids tend to overcompensate when it comes to having a stake in the future of a society, often with weird results, as shown with Merkel. Perhaps Macron will be different and act out of pure reason, but his cold eyes seems to suggest something else.   

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Because it's fine to judge someone by their cold stare, but you can't judge someone by their fake hair. :D

Eyes are window into the soul!

Dont be a hater young man, remember money cant buy you happiness.... but it can buy everything else  :teehee:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dont be a hater young man, remember money cant buy you happiness.... but it can buy everything else :teehee:

Money can't buy you freedom, it takes it. Mauvaise fois 101

;)

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Dont be a hater young man, remember money cant buy you happiness.... but it can buy everything else :teehee:

Money can't buy you freedom, it takes it. Mauvaise fois 101

;)

quite opposite actually, well, as long as you have them