Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers

• Please log in to reply
735 replies to this topic

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

which would be fine but we are speaking in the context o' the deadfire development, wherein the narrative is gonna take place, in large part, through character development, including advancing o' the watcher's personal story, which is gonna require a heavy dose o' dialogue to be communicated. if the deadfire narrative were achieved through lore dumps and reading in-game books detailing the histories o' the realms, then josh's preference for the silmarillion would be other than a handicap. not much compelling dialogue in the silmarillion, eh?  is not as if the silmarillion is intrinsic bad, at least no more than is polka music. unfortunately, tolkien's work, unpublished during his lifetime, is not the best example o' what the deadfire writers is gonna try and achieve.

HA! Good Fun!

Pallegina was in no way worse than the other characters. So what's the problem?

if you say so. go and review the numerous favorite companion threads for poe. josh's contribution were not near top o' the list.  yeah, pallegina weren't at the top o' the most hated companion threads neither, but sadly all such reveals were nobody cared 'nuff bout pallegina to like or hate her.  she were flat and monotonous. 

josh has been writing variations o' yxunomei for many years. motivations is different, but characters is spooky similar... with the possible exception o' bishop, who weren't developed near enough for us to genuine applaud or condemn.

HA! Good Fun!

ps so is clear, Gromnir believes josh is an excellent game developer/designer.  mr. sawyer is knowledgeable 'bout rule systems and game mechanics. am appreciating how josh is not one o' the grognards who believes in fixed proper and essential elements o' game design, but is more interested in providing the player with an entertaining and enjoyable experience.  am even ok with josh fixation with lore. such ocd 'bout details o' the history o' a setting may add depth to a game. in general, he gets it.

even so, while am appreciative o' josh contributions to games, am (and will continue to be) critical o' his writing efforts.  would be more shocking (implausible so) if josh were great at every aspect o' game design.  not much o' a criticism to note his talents do not extend to writing.  

Edited by Gromnir, 13 September 2017 - 08:25 AM.

Dopsim

Dopsim

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

yeah, pallegina weren't at the top o' the most hated companion threads neither, but sadly all such reveals were nobody cared 'nuff bout pallegina to like or hate her.  she were flat and monotonous. 

Well i really like her. Her voice, lines, character... Great, really. Her line then you meet the Kraken is probably my favorite in the entire game in term of epicness 
But then again i really hated Grieving Mother so i am probably not representative of the most players. Still weird to hear Pallegina was bad or boring. She probably in my top 3 favorites.

Edited by Dopsim, 13 September 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Wormerine

Wormerine

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

yeah, pallegina weren't at the top o' the most hated companion threads neither, but sadly all such reveals were nobody cared 'nuff bout pallegina to like or hate her.  she were flat and monotonous. 

Well i really like her. Her voice, lines, character... Great, really. Her line then you meet the Kraken is probably my favorite in the entire game in term of epicness 
But then again i really hated Grieving Mother so i am probably not representative of the most players. Still weird to hear Pallegina was bad or boring. She probably in my top 3 favorites.

When all said and done, she is not in my top 5ve, but she was the first character I got attatched to. Her dilemma was more relatable and immediate than most of the companions. I love her confrontation with Hylea. 

Certainly PoE had an issue with short term storytelling. Individual "setpieces" were rarely engaging. While it is something, which hopefully will be improved in Deadfire it seems more like a time constraint than anything else. Good story should always start with a clear end goal and the "big picture" of PoE was phenomenal. It just lacked polish to make the smaller encounters really shine. 

• dukeisaac and algroth like this

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I reckon she'd scrape into my Pillars top 5 following Sagani, Hiravias, Edér and (yes) Durance (because I don't believe a character has to be likable to be compelling). As with Wormerine I found her relatable, I enjoyed her points of view as well as the theme to her quest, and I did love her confrontation with Hylea as well. Overall I can safely say I liked her, as I did most characters in the game really.

• Dopsim likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

there were only 8 poe joinable companions, so...

HA! Good Fun!

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

Well, yeah, in general I felt very positively about the companion roster so her being middle-of-the-pack is still fine by me. I was also considering the White March companions in my list, mind.

draego

draego

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

HA! Good Fun!

Well, yeah, in general I felt very positively about the companion roster so her being middle-of-the-pack is still fine by me. I was also considering the White March companions in my list, mind.

Ye there are 11 companions so i get you. :)

Edited by draego, 13 September 2017 - 01:13 PM.

• Wormerine likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

not sure if folks is attempting humor or not.  smiley faces n' such makes ambiguous. the expansion companions clear got less development resources and were less integrated into the main plot line(s).  hardly seems fair to place all joinable npcs in the same pool when comparing quality. folks is padding numbers with tacked on expansion companions simple to make a point? or perhaps is sarcasm.

HA! Good Fun!

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

not sure if folks is attempting humor or not.  smiley faces n' such makes ambiguous. the expansion companions clear got less development resources and were less integrated into the main plot line(s).  hardly seems fair to place all joinable npcs in the same pool when comparing quality. folks is padding numbers with tacked on expansion companions simple to make a point? or perhaps is sarcasm.

HA! Good Fun!

You're putting way too much attention on an element that is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether we include or leave out the expansions' companions, or whether Pallegina falls in our top 5 of 8 or not. Personally what I meant with it was that I liked her, and generally liked the companions in Pillars. I guess it's Wormerine's top 5 remark that prompted me to respond with my own. There's not much more to it.

Edited by algroth, 13 September 2017 - 02:02 PM.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1003 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

:)

• algroth and Wormerine like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

You're putting way too much attention on an element that is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether we include or leave out the expansions' companions, or whether Pallegina falls in our top 5 of 8 or not. Personally what I meant with it was that I liked her, and generally liked the companions in Pillars. I guess it's Wormerine's top 5 remark that prompted me to respond with my own. There's not much more to it.

then why play games with the numbers? we pointed out how there were only 8 companions. you are the person who observed you were including the expansion companions in your tally.  if numbers were irrelevant from the start, why make a point o' including expansion joinables? 

is genuine baffling responding to some folks.

HA! Good Fun!

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

then why play games with the numbers? we pointed out how there were only 8 companions. you are the person who observed you were including the expansion companions in your tally.  if numbers were irrelevant from the start, why make a point o' including expansion joinables? 

HA! Good Fun!

Jeez, does it even matter? It's genuinely baffling to see what will trigger some folks too.

Edited by algroth, 13 September 2017 - 02:22 PM.

• draego likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7026 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

It's genuinely baffling to see what will trigger some folks too.

dear lord.  in 2017, somebody using trigger/microaggression vernacular is pretty much akin to godwin's law violations, yes? predictable  exceeding point o' exhaustion... once again.

HA!  Good Fun!

ps the sensitivity o' some folks is what baffles us.  is disappointing how low a tolerance level for any kinda disagreement posters have these days.

Edited by Gromnir, 13 September 2017 - 02:33 PM.

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

It's genuinely baffling to see what will trigger some folks too.

dear lord.  in 2017, somebody using trigger/microaggression vernacular is pretty much akin to godwin's law violations, yes? predictable  exceeding point o' exhaustion... once again.

HA!  Good Fun!

I have no other way to describe how badly you're getting your knickers in a twist about what was an innocuous expression. If it bothers you so much, then I'll take it back. Sorry, I didn't think about how I phrased my liking of a certain character. I'm dropping this now, bye.

• draego likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The heck are you microtriggering about gromnir? Or at least that's what algoroth is saying. To be honest, I'm not sure what you two are arguing about atm anyway, Palleginas rating? And some wierd random derail over a smiliey? *is a little confused*

Edited by smjjames, 13 September 2017 - 04:47 PM.

• draego and Wormerine like this

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The heck are you microtriggering about gromnir? Or at least that's what algoroth is saying. To be honest, I'm not sure what you two are arguing about atm anyway, Palleginas rating? And some wierd random derail over a smiliey? *is a little confused*

Dunno. It's really no big deal - we can go back to discussing Josh's tweets and teasers.

Edited by algroth, 13 September 2017 - 05:01 PM.

• draego likes this

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2637 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

https://twitter.com/...709328211165184

That's interesting. Pork is a food item

Alternately-- and I really hope this isn't the case-- it could mean that [shudder] prostitute bonuses haven't been left to rot in the dustbin besides the gold-named NPCs, and someone on the team is getting "clever" with placeholder names. 

EDIT:  OK, it's food.  Bullet dodged... for now.

Edited by Enoch, 13 September 2017 - 05:45 PM.

• Blades of Vanatar likes this

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

You know what ?

[Speculation On] : After Pre-Alpha took an end in August, leading to Alpha (AKA - Polishing Stage of Production)...

After all the Teasing Tweets about the Next Update. All the OBS Crew comments (Mikey & Aarik mainly)...

About how it's gonna be Glorious (Multi/Sub Classes Topic Update, surely will be great in itself)...

The Extra Weeks, taken to make it even more Great, was : "Worth It. Trust Us."

Don't you get somekinda feeling that : Like "Winter Is Coming"... The Backer Beta is Coming ?

I'm conciously being very optimistic here, but I can't help getting the feel that, the "Extra Spicy Stuff" promised that we'll get...

Might end up being related, in some form or another, to the Backer Beta... Or not Ahah !  :grin:

(Target Date they're aiming at ? Exact Release Date ?...)

We'll have to wait, but... Man, I can't wait to put my hands on this Game !  :banghead:

• algroth likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The last I've heard of any sort of release date is 1st quarter of 2018 with Josh Sawyer wanting to aim for March.

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Full Game Release Date yeah,

But the Backer Beta Release is what I'm talking about, & to me, it seems to be not so far away from where we are now...

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 1 anonymous users

the_dog_days