Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

dunehunter

dunehunter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Always wanna play as a paladin of five suns in POE 1, can we expect this to be one of the subclasses of paladins plz Obsidian?

Edited by dunehunter, 24 June 2017 - 03:34 AM.

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

Always wanna play as a paladin of five suns in POE 1, can we expect this to be one of the subclasses of paladins plz Obsidian?

I think you're looking for the PoE2 suggestions thread? Anyways, while it was specific to Pallegina in PoE1, the presence of the Vailian trading company in PoE2 could allow for the possibility of that for a player chooseable order. Though Obsidian is going to have to retcon the fact that women aren't allowed to join that one, otherwise players either won't be able to choose female characters for that order or they'll have to otherwise explain it.

• Wormerine likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5889 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Or you pick a female godlike of course...

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wasn't an option in PoE1 won't be in Deadfire. Unless if you can somehow become one/change orders in the course of the game.

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, trap triggers are either 3D tripwires/bear traps/pressure plates or they are highlighted in the 2D paintover. If you're not paying attention, you can definitely still trip over them, but if you're looking for them, there's always something different about where the trigger is.

Also, enemies can now trigger traps, so pulling someone into a trap can be an effective tactic.

https://forums.somet...6#post473698665
  • algroth and Wormerine like this

smjjames

smjjames

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 365 posts

Yeah, trap triggers are either 3D tripwires/bear traps/pressure plates or they are highlighted in the 2D paintover. If you're not paying attention, you can definitely still trip over them, but if you're looking for them, there's always something different about where the trigger is.

Also, enemies can now trigger traps, so pulling someone into a trap can be an effective tactic.

https://forums.somet...6#post473698665

I do that in Tyranny when the traps are rather close to the enemy. Though I believe enemies can also trigger traps in PoE1, there just isn't a whole lot of opportunity to actually make them do so.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5889 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No they can't. Only the ones you put there. The normal traps can only be triggered by the player.

And same vice versa: you can't trip your own traps.

draego

draego

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

https://jesawyer.tum...llars-2-writing. This question isn't biased much :facepalm:. How is Josh suppose to answer this - "Well, our game falling apart i guess we need to pack it up."

Edited by draego, 25 June 2017 - 01:43 PM.

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://jesawyer.tum...llars-2-writing. This question isn't biased much :facepalm:. How is Josh suppose to answer this - "Well, our game falling apart i guess we need to pack it up."

Yeah... Honestly, the MCA this, MCA that is getting old. He made incredible games, I get it, but today, it seems he's more of a marketing tool than anything else. Yes the writing in POE1 could have been better, but I think the team has acknowledged that and will work harder in Deadfire (ie Fenstermaker interview in the Codex). Frankly, was the writing that amazing in Numenera? As far as I know, no, it had the same problems as POE1, namely, not enough editing due to time constraints.

• JerekKruger likes this

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I enjoyed MCA's writing, but it didn't make or break the game for me. I thought Durance was a strong device to lore drop. GM was fascinating but far weaking overall.

A lot of my favorite parts of PoE were more critical path quest writing, Eder, and Aloth. Which I don't think MCA played much a part in.

• Wormerine likes this

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I enjoyed MCA's writing, but it didn't make or break the game for me. I thought Durance was a strong device to lore drop. GM was fascinating but far weaking overall.

A lot of my favorite parts of PoE were more critical path quest writing, Eder, and Aloth. Which I don't think MCA played much a part in.

Same here. I actually just recently finished Durance's quest (after 6 playthroughs, I know) and yes, he was well written and interesting character, but not my favourite (Eder and Sagani take the prize). Greaving Mother was ok, I feel she was too esoteric to make much of an impact.

Everything so far (including WM1&2) indicate that Deadfire is going to be amazing. If you want MCA, wait for Pathfinder (and even there, he plays a minor role, despite the marketing).

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2706 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Durance was great but GM felt out of place tbh. Apparently there was some kind of cut content where they interacted, but I'm butthurt we got GM instead of an Animancer companion, or at least a companion sympathetic to animancy in more depth than Pallengia or Kana.

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I do feel better about traps in Pillars now. Because you've just shown that they could be much, much worse. So, mission accomplished? I guess.

The idea of passive obstacles is perfectly fine. Their implementation as ubiquitous landmines you can only interact with in a single way is not.

Yes, Mission accomplished. I just wanted to show you, that they could be worse and there would still be people that like them.

I agree that they could be more intersting. But I'd rather take them as they are than leaving them out completely. And seriously: Do they really break your gaming experience or something?

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts

They're aggravating and persistent, thus reducing my enjoyment of the game. Isn't that reason enough to want them gone?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users