Had to google what Ska is... So many questions...

Chanters have three subclasses. One, the troubadour, has Brisk Recitation as a modal to speed up phrase rate (with commensurately shorter linger) like Sirin. The beckoner is summoning-focused. We haven't talked about the third subclass yet.

If Brisk Recitation keeps the same values as in PoE1, then that's a nerf. In PoE1 all chanters have it, plus BR does not reduce the linger duration.

I speculate this

Beckoner (Summoning)

Troubadour (Phrases)

??? (Invocations)

Following the speculation, the 3rd subclass could be Enchanter - chanter focused on cc (charm/confuse/dominate) invocations.

Also, we could argue that actually Troubadour is the one focused on Invocations. Since he has basically same chants, but can cast invocations much more often.

In this case 3rd subclass could be the one focused on:

- phrases; and a few names off the top of my head: Siren, Death Speaker, Herald, Ambassador, Whisperer, or Binder (although the last two names would also suit a Chanter-Cipher multiclass)

- melee combat: Bladesinger

Edited by MaxQuest

the mechanical drawbacks for a ska chanter would seem to be self-evident and straightforward:

1) phrases take longer to complete

2) no more than 2 phrases per chant

am admitted having a much harder time coming up with a benefit which would seem to embody ska. for every 10 seconds o' uninterrupted chanting, listeners face a cumulative 1% chance o' becoming confused for 5 seconds?

name the subclass the cantor and let the ska origin be an inside joke.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, you're the one who made the joke suggestion, and the devs got the joke obviously. :)

On what the third class would be, having it be based on crowd control, namely buffs/debuffs seems logical as that's pretty much the only specialization left after eliminating phrases (classic bard) and summons.

Also, the name Enchanter envokes more of a wizard class than something bardic, so, that might be a better name for a multiclass chanter/wizard.

• Like 1

Also, the name Enchanter envokes more of a wizard class than something bardic, so, that might be a better name for a multiclass chanter/wizard.

Seems fitting indeed. I like it.

Fast Phrases does not imply Thundering Invocations.

A guitarist rocking a solo is not the same as a vocalist shattering glass.

I was (very vaguely) implying in my speculation that an Invocations based Subclass would have stronger Invocations (More damage, bigger AoE etc).

Edited by Osvir

Polyphonic Overtone Singer (like the mongolian or inuit throat singers do): can recite two parallel chants - but has no invocations.

Check this out: 

Lyrics could be better... ;)
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Polyphonic Overtone Singer (like the mongolian or inuit throat singers do): can recite two parallel chants - but has no invocations.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Okay so she has some interesting lungs on her.  Pardon me, I need to go put down the bird rebellion happening outside my window, then clean the blood from my ears.

The overtone is actually a whistle generated at the tongue, the undertone is the throat singing.

I can do this too, but of course I don't have the throat of an angel so it sounds awful. I can modulated and move them independently too if I practice on something for a bit.

The overtone is actually a whistle generated at the tongue, the undertone is the throat singing.

I can do this too, but of course I don't have the throat of an angel so it sounds awful. I can modulated and move them independently too if I practice on something for a bit.

Doesn't matter if it sounds awful. What matters is that you can recite two chants at once!  :dancing:

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if it sounds awful. What matters is that you can recite two chants at once!  :dancing:

Well, not really. You still have one mouth. So while you can produce limited doublestops, adding lyrics to it is a different story entirely:-) You can do some nifty counterpoint though! 

the mechanical drawbacks for a ska chanter would seem to be self-evident and straightforward:

1) phrases take longer to complete

2) no more than 2 phrases per chant

When he runs out of empowers does he become a reggae-chanter?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Well, not really. You still have one mouth. So while you can produce limited doublestops, adding lyrics to it is a different story entirely:-) You can do some nifty counterpoint though! 

:dancing:  

If there's something weird in your video game     

who you gonna call?   

Fantasybuster!   

I ain't afraid o' no realism!

A polyphonic chanter singing two chants at once  ♫

who you gonna call?  

Fantasybuster!  

;)

• Like 3

Check this out: [edit]<link to youtube vid>[/edit]

And i need to be in a videogame sub-forum to discover that this exist... Culture +1 for boeroer

I've been living in Central Asia for three years - you can find marvelous things there ("Plov" for example). And a lot of nice people, too. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

just imagine dat Godhammer VFX ;)

Scripted interaction :p

Nooooeees, I wants to cast ultimate super magic :(

But I guess scripted interaction would be nice too.

Hm, but maybe we get to outfit our ship with some Godhammer Cannon? (How else do you wreck a Titan?).

Question about climate on Josh's tumblr.

The Ondra's Mortar place sounds like a nasty place for a ship to be, full of rocky shoals and coasts maybe. Perhaps there are lots of storms and hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons there as well.

Lovely, but I want a map Josh... I think I'm going to pose that question in the stream thread... off I gooooooo

Question about climate on Josh's tumblr.

The Ondra's Mortar place sounds like a nasty place for a ship to be, full of rocky shoals and coasts maybe. Perhaps there are lots of storms and hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons there as well.

Lovely, but I want a map Josh... I think I'm going to pose that question in the stream thread... off I gooooooo

Go ahead but they already answered that question. Josh said that they won't do the map, as they want to leave blank space for future creators, if the series will continue. They will vaguely reference places but not define them more than it is needed.

I doubt you will force them to commint to creating world out of the gate. One of the biggest advantages of them owning their own IP is that they can do whatever they will feel is right. You do StarWars game and you need to fit into whatever lore and events are happening around. It is limiting as nothing major can happen - everything needs to return to status quo. If they will create map now, that means everyone in coming years will have to much less room to create. 

I personally find the whole "lore" overrated. Sure, it worked for Tolkien, but that's because creating the world was his goal. Silmarillion is great. Hobbit & LotR is a side product of that. Every other property I can think of gets stuck up its own bum with its boring lore and stories which get more and more tangled in existing details. So while I understand a desire of seeing a bigger picture, I think it would hurt it in a longrun.

• Like 3