Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Party for upscaled PotD

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

r2d23

r2d23

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Understood about the rogue, I guess I'll spend that talent point elsewhere.

So, Cleansing Flames sounds to be kind of broken. I'm reading it's description right now. Could you clarify what does "-5 Duration of active beneficial effects for 5.0 sec" and "+100 Damage Over Time tick rate for 5.0 sec" mean, exactly? It's kind of convoluted.

How does it translate into doubling the tick rate? What does tick rate mean here, anyway? 150 raw damage over 18s becomes 150 raw damage over 9s? Or it becomes 300 raw damage over 18s?

Edited by r2d23, 10 May 2017 - 09:30 AM.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1012 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So, Cleansing Flames sounds to be kind of broken. I'm reading it's description right now. Could you clarify what does "-5 Duration of active beneficial effects for 5.0 sec" and "+100 Damage Over Time tick rate for 5.0 sec" mean, exactly? It's kind of convoluted.

There is more 'broken' stuff in the game :)

What the spell does is:
- affects the enemy with a single-target DoT, that deals 80 burning damage over 5s (base values)
- reduces the duration of beneficial buffs on the target by 5s. For example enemy uses Disciplined Barrage. It's duration will be 10s instead of 15s. Or if the enemy is affected by Herald aura (which iirc has 5s duration and ticks every 3s, right?) - he won't get any benefit from it at all.
- doubles the tick rate of all DoTs on the target, for it's duration.

How does it translate into doubling the tick rate? What does tick rate mean here, anyway? 150 raw damage over 18s becomes 150 raw damage over 9s? Or it becomes 300 raw damage over 18s?

Closer to the latter. When a DoT ticks on a target affected by Cleansing Flames, there will be two ticks instead of one.
Take note through that CF has base duration of 5s. So at 10 MIG / 10 INT:
- No CF + 150 raw damage over 15s DoT; results in 7 ticks of 21.42 dmg
- CF + 150 raw damage over 15s DoT; results in 9 ticks of 21.42 dmg, i.e. 192.8 dmg over 15s; unless you recast CF on that target, or it jumps back.

The true beauty of CF is through: casting 4 Shining Beacons (which all stack), and then follow with CF, which basically means that target suffers from 8 instances of Shinning Beacon at the same time. And a buffed priest deals ~250 fire damage via single Beacon alone. You can see how Alpine Dragon goes from barely injured to dead in 10s: link.

Edited by MaxQuest, 11 May 2017 - 01:41 AM.

r2d23

r2d23

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Thanks. I think I've got it all except for this one:

- CF + 150 raw damage over 15s DoT; results in 9 ticks of 21.42 dmg, i.e. 192.8 dmg over 15s; unless you recast CF on that target, or it jumps back.

Why does 7 ticks translate into 9 ticks? What's the math here?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5890 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cleansing Flame's duration is too short to double all the ticks.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1012 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why does 7 ticks translate into 9 ticks? What's the math here?

As Boeroer said, it's because CF duration is lower than that of the DoT you have mentioned. 

Interval between two consecutive ticks is 3s.
Interval between a tick and the one after next one is 6s.
This means that 5s-long CF will always double at least one tick, and in 66% of cases it will double one more. Hence 7 => 9. 
Not a lot, but the good thing is that a priest usually has high INT, plus Minor Avatar, which can easily result in 10s long CF on hit, or 15s on crit.

Edited by MaxQuest, 11 May 2017 - 04:42 AM.

r2d23

r2d23

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Indeed, I forgot that CF itself has a duration, now it all makes sense, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users