Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will warriors be able to kill things now?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Judicator

Judicator

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts

Or will dudes in armor just act as MMO-style meatshields again, while the glass cannons kill off the enemies?

• amjclape and firkraag888 like this

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1816 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You should start building warriors in such a way that they can kill things already, lest the things will ignore your useless meat shields and go eat your glass cannons.

rheingold

rheingold

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 848 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Fighters actually have pretty good dps - at least if you build them correctly. They are a decent class. The real question is will rogues be able to survive now?

• Sonntam and Elric Galad like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1711 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sounds like you haven't played since patch 2.0 came out. Pure tanks Fighters became pretty bad post 2.0 due to the changes to engagement AI meaning enemies will simply ignore the engagement of a tough, nonthreatening opponent. It's not pretty much required that Fighters are designed to be hybrid tabk/damage dealers if not pure damage dealers. They aren't the most damaging class around, but they do respectable single target damage with fairly little micro and even when built for pure damage they're fairly survivable.

• illathid likes this

Judicator

Judicator

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts

It's true, I haven't played much since 2.0.  I know defender got nerfed, but aside from that what's the difference?

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1816 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know defender got nerfed, but aside from that what's the difference?

The difference is that AI won't mindlessly attack a tank that poses no danger to it. If you build your warrior as a scared turtle with a shield in each hand, AI will just ignore engagement and go straight for your glass canon characters, rendering purely defense-oriented fighters completely useless.

• rheingold likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1644 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's true, I haven't played much since 2.0.  I know defender got nerfed, but aside from that what's the difference?

Lots.  Too much to go into, you should play it again and find out for yourself.  Dual-wielding Eder kicks arse personally.

• illathid, Elric Galad and the_dog_days like this

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2066 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

f512ff9bee084263df5571d3c81388019dcb0631

They're *ALL BASTARDS*. Each and every mob, all of them, all the time. They're all a bunch of onery little bastards who ignore your front line and go *RIGHT* for your back line.

Basically engagement is meaningless and there is longer any such thing as a viable "tank". You know that whole "huge pile of a mess" that JSaw was complaining about Baldur's Gate being, that they instituted engagement to get rid of? Yeah, that's back because everything just ignores engagement now. They'll pause for a few seconds, then go right for your back end.

• Karkarov, gogocactus, darqleo and 1 other like this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts

Huh, I didn't know they'd messed with engagement in a patch. Although really, I can't say I noticed much of a difference. That said, I ran a pretty effective DPS fighter when I first played Pillars. He had a greatsword, went light, used Disciplined Barrage. I also took Interrupting Blows, but in retrospect I doubt it did anything.

I do wonder what they'll do with engagement and similar in Deadfire. I like to think there's a way to let someone be a tank without an artificial "taunting" mechanic. Maybe it's best to just forget about it and make sure no party member is at risk of turning into a fine red mist the moment an enemy targets them.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo, 02 May 2017 - 03:19 AM.

Judicator

Judicator

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts

Hmm, alright. You guys have convinced me.  I've been itching to try an estoc-wielding fighter since the game was released. I might as well give it a shot.

They're *ALL BASTARDS*. Each and every mob, all of them, all the time. They're all a bunch of onery little bastards who ignore your front line and go *RIGHT* for your back line.

Basically engagement is meaningless and there is longer any such thing as a viable "tank". You know that whole "huge pile of a mess" that JSaw was complaining about Baldur's Gate being, that they instituted engagement to get rid of? Yeah, that's back because everything just ignores engagement now. They'll pause for a few seconds, then go right for your back end.

Eh, I can't see how BG was a mess when the AI would just mindlessly attack whoever was closest. It wasn't hard to get your fighters to hold off the melee enemies.

Edited by Judicator, 02 May 2017 - 03:19 AM.

• rheingold likes this

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2066 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Note that I'm also terrible at tactical combat, so it may just be my constant reloading coming out.

• gogocactus likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts

Thinking about a bit more, I guess the archetype of a person-shaped brick wall no offensive capabilities isn't something I'm going to miss. But a free-for-all where enemies are free to make a beeline for the squishies isn't particularly ideal either.

• rjshae likes this

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2066 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

But a free-for-all where enemies are free to make a beeline for the squishies isn't particularly ideal either.

That's exactly what Cragholdt felt like to me, you know?

rheingold

rheingold

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 848 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Check out AC's Lady of pain build in the POE build forum. He has a couple of variations but by all accounts they kick ass. Eder, believe it or not makes a staggeringly good "Lady of Pain". Tanks still work though, just not the immortal I can't kill anything by myself variety. Now a tank needs to have some sort of capacity to deal damage as well. I find Chanters are just about the best tanks now. Building one defensively doesn't impact at all in its function. And they pull a serious amount of aggro due to their chants.

• AndreaColombo likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts

But a free-for-all where enemies are free to make a beeline for the squishies isn't particularly ideal either.

That's exactly what Cragholdt felt like to me, you know?

More or less. Although that wasn't the worst part. That would be the skeletal mages that resist everything. I ended up putting Eder in a doorway to hold them off, and dropping corrosive/raw damage clouds on their heads.

Check out AC's Lady of pain build in the POE build forum. He has a couple of variations but by all accounts they kick ass. Eder, believe it or not makes a staggeringly good "Lady of Pain". Tanks still work though, just not the immortal I can't kill anything by myself variety. Now a tank needs to have some sort of capacity to deal damage as well. I find Chanters are just about the best tanks now. Building one defensively doesn't impact at all in its function. And they pull a serious amount of aggro due to their chants.

That's more or less it, yes. Engagement as it was only worked if disengaging actually hurt. If the tank can only lightly poke you, it's not much of a threat.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo, 02 May 2017 - 04:08 AM.

• illathid and rheingold like this

4ward

4ward

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 259 posts

re. melee, if in deadfire the player can use terrain to hold off enemies and has protection spells/potions&buff spells/potions&disabling spells (and hopefully also counterspells), then melee system missing shouldn‘t be a problem. I‘d also expect the number of enemies to decrease in comparison to Pillars1 and also expect enemies to have more variation in their abilities, specifically that they can hurt the player from afar instead of needing to pass you by.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1711 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've been itching to try an estoc-wielding fighter since the game was released. I might as well give it a shot.

Take a look at AndreaColombo's Lady of Pain build(s). The specific one I linked uses estocs (specifically the Blade of the Endless Paths once you get it) and is a really excellent build (I always build my Eder as one).

Also I'd say that Katarack21's description of the current state of affairs is a little exaggerated. I don't think anyone knows the exact algorithm, but the willingness for enemies to break engagement seems to be dependent on the defensiveness and damage capability of their available targets (plus perhaps distance from target). If you run the standard MMO setup of a super tough tank, who hits like a wet noodle, and a bunch of glass cannons the AI will definitely walk away from your tank to kill your damage dealers; but if you run hybrid tank/damage dealers and don't dump every non-tank's Resolve to 3 (throw around some small shields too, especially in the early game) then tanks still work reasonably well. Of course some enemies like teleporting wraiths/shades/spectres/I can't remember their name will still use their abilities to get to your squishier characters, but then they did this pre-2.0 as well.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Achilles

Achilles

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1398 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
High damage fighter were always available. Unfortunately, if you compare them to classes that were designed to do a lot of damage (i.e. Rogues), then you will always be disappointed.

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts

I plan to run a multiclass Fighter/Rogue in Deadfire. I was waffling between the two classes when I planned my lightly-armoured greatsword character in PoE 1, and now I don't have to.

hilfazer

hilfazer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts

hybrid tank/damage dealers

There's no such thing. If you combine tank and damage dealer (BTW thank You for saying 'damage dealer' and not 'DPS') you are back to regular everyday normal standard warrior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users