What does anyone even know about this Ydwin other than one picture?
Why do you care so much?
Tbh we know her backstory which is very interesting but the sad truth is that most people went ape**** about her for fapping reasons
Okay let's take a moment to be fair and insert some perspective.
People were excited for a number of reasons.
- Her design, regardless of however many people will swear up and own it is "anime", is actually very good.
- Her background makes her out to be one of those potentially crazy Edwin type characters which was really absent in Eternity 1. Durance is really just a self absorbed ****, and Hiravias is just a horndog. Neither are really that slightly crazy, but definitely evil, mix.
- She is the only pale elf team member of any variety, and lots of people like pale elves. No, mercs you hire at the inn don't count.
- She is the only person who can be a rogue at level one other than Eder. Unlike Eder, it actually makes sense for her to have rogue levels.
- This is potentially the biggest reason for those of us who care about the lore of the game, she is the only party member option from either game that is actually an Animancer. A profession you REALLY should have had represented in Eternity 1's party, since most of your team didn't care, or was against it. In fact, was anyone other than Pallegina pro animancy?
- Yes, promancers wanted a female elf option. Get over it
So yeah, there are some good reasons people liked her as a character and wanted her to be more than a sidekick.
wrong. wrong. wrong.
well, not complete wrong. in truth, am in agreement 'bout a number o' points. am personal not getting the need for a pale elf, particular in the deadfire setting, but for those wanting the pale elf pov explored a bit, there is merit in a pale elf companion to offer a window into a largely unexplored pillars culture. pale elves ain't really gonna figure prominent in deadfire, so am not seeing a need to force the issue, but am nevertheless seeing why folks want such now rather than waiting for am expansion or sequel.
am also much in agreement regarding the value o' an animancer companion. too little, too late? were something we shoulda' seen in poe. am actual a bit concerned 'bout obsidian attempts to redeem animancy in deadfire. even so, an animancer companion, avoiding hamfisted lore dumps, would be a welcome addition to deadfire as the mountain o' soulless babies and flesh eating undead demand a response o' some kind. am personal thinking it is too late to install an advocate for animancy, but a fresh voice might, at the least, illuminate and explore lingering questions.
unfortunate so much else is just wrong.
is no surprise the elf's design appeals to anime folks. good or bad is highly subjective, but am annoyed by some o' the inherent ridiculousness o' the character design... which we went into ad nauseum earlier. not gonna repeat. regardless, good and bad opinions seem split and is no surprise the anime fans tend to voice "good."
eder, btw, is much more plausible as a rogue. the problem is folks never bought into the poe rogue. folks don't even recall what were the poe rogue, back when eder were a rogue.
"In Pillars of Eternity, the designation of a character as a "rogue" signifies their vicious, brutal style of fighting, not a propensity for theft or deception. More than any other class, rogues exemplify the adage that the best defense is a good offense. If fighters are the disciplined, reliable, well-trained units that hold the line, rogues are the shock troops that attempt to break through that line to take out vulnerable units before they can effectively retaliate. When pinned down, rogues can suffer from their weak defenses, but ideally they carry their momentum from one target to the next in short order."
is from "Update #71: The Heavy Hitters: Rogues and Rangers."
poe rogues is a combat class. is "shock troops." is heavy hitters. is embracing a vicious, brutal fighting style. etc. so, eder or ydwin? tell us again how ydwin makes more sense as a heavy hitter shock trooper.
as for edwin nostalgia and belief ydwin will replace him based on micro-blurb character description, am thinking you shouldn't hold your breath. the deadfire writers, who were poe writers, don't seem to be aiming for cartoony pastiche. not only do we see an intentional avoidance o' simplistic moral pigeonholing o' companions, but am suspecting the last thing the obsidian folks want is for a deadfire companion to be an obvious stand-in for a bg/bg2 joinable npc. so cliché edwin's evil is unlikely and an overt edwin clone is even more unlikely.
promancers need an elf female? not even gonna respond to such.
regardless, wrong, wrong, wrong.
HA! Good Fun!