Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are your favorite narrative/thematic elements of Pillars' world/story/lore? And Why?

narratives themes world story

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Pope

Pope

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1362 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Aight, I get it. This was a self-indulgent thread. I feel you guys.

Colonial conflicts? Hmmm… I didn’t really feel this so much in PoE1, past the villagers bullying Aloth for being from Aedyr. If there was a political faction blaming Aedyr for all the troubles in Dyrwood, that would feel much more post-colonial :p I think this theme will be a lot more present in the upcoming Deadfire.

I must agree with this.

While I certainly love the idea of a colonial setting, I feel this was sadly underutilized and hope PoE2 will rectify this (the factions certainly seem to indicate so).

• gogocactus likes this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1401 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pillars 1 had no colonial conflicts in Dyrwood because they were hundreds of years old over at the time the player gets there.

Pillars 2 setting is based on colonial conflict, though.

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Aedyr Empire is our world Roman Empire with some pieces of The Empire from Warhammer Fantasy (sidenote: the union of men and elves is quite new and interesting)

I saw it as British Empire.

ed: My fav thing is that tech progression is a thing in Eora, its not medieval or x-era foreva.

Edited by Quillon, 02 May 2017 - 06:53 PM.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I like everything about the setting. It just works and it is nice to see a new time-period in an CRPG.

But what I really love about the world is this:

There are no questions, that can't be answered by mortals.

What do I mean by this? Well, in most fantasy worlds mortals are bound by the rules of very powerful gods (Forgotten Realms for example), who also deliver the answers to every mystery about the order in the world or the common people don't have the resources to make technological progress.

In Pillars we reached a point where kith can ask the questions and answer them. They are researching and get closer to the answers ... but this opens a new can of questions! That's how it should be and it fits the theme of the game. A world doesn't become uninteresting just because it's inhabitants learn more about it's surroundings, it just get's more complicated. So does Eora and that's how it should be.

Edited by Harry Easter, 02 September 2017 - 05:11 AM.

• Varana, injurai, TheisEjsing and 3 others like this

scythesong

scythesong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts

-the fact that PoE gods are more like sentient manifestations of ideals/concepts rather than just petty, fickle beings with incredible power ala D&D/the greek pantheon. Because seriously, that much pointless drama only belongs in reality TV. If you're going to add drama, employ those on characters people actually care about.
-the fact that magic boils down to soul energy, and that soul energy explains why even non-magic classes can do what they do (non-magic classes regularly performing superhuman feats in other games is a personal pet peeve).
-the choose your own adventure-type interactions - there's plenty of room for improvement there too like narration, a bit of animation (even if it's only the interface), etc. These are great mini-games that also tell a story.

-the fact that each culture in pillars seems to have its own unique idiosyncrasies, like how female godlike are not seen as women in the Valian Republics or how Twin Elms is in some ways actually more civilized than Defiance Bay or the weird thing they do with powerful landowners in the Aedyr Empire (see Aloth's dialog)

-little things like people standing around smoking pipes and stuff. We need more of these IMO.

Dislikes
-the fact that whether the gods are "real or not" is supposed to be such a big deal. Is there a universally approved definition of "god" in Eora that we don't know about? So what if the PoE gods are not the equivalent of creator deities? These beings already care about issues that fall within their sphere of influence, they do have incalculable power, and they even try not to influence the lives of mortals directly. I mean that already puts them in the top 10 of "gods who aren't assh*les" list.
-not enough NPC banter. I expect more from NPCs, even if it's only exposition (like Sagani telling you about possible logistical dangers while you're adventuring around in the White March, for example).
-the item histories could benefit from better stories (convert a wacky everyday experiences into item descriptions if you have to), and there is hardly any flavor text for spells/abilities and the like. An occasional something like Fan of Flames: "Rumor has it that the wizard who created this spell, Ortagonus, was secretly a draconophile." or Chill Fog: "In the Valian Republics, Chill Fog is widely used on a mixture of churned cream, milk, sugar and eggs to create a popular frozen confection." was an unfortunate missed opportunity IMO.

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My favorite theme in PoE is probably the existence of Aliens among us. It is kept suddle, which is brilliant by the writers, but there are clever hints about it. 

Here is a rare piece of evidence.

150px-Miniature_Giant_Space_Piglet.jpg?v

Edited by TheisEjsing, 04 June 2017 - 11:05 PM.

• dukeisaac likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7048 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Maybe it's more like an Ondra-Piglet. So, not really alien. The goddess who pulled a whole moon down to Eora can probably also create moon godlike runt. Too bad it never gets hit in combat. I bet it has Silver Tide, too. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 05 June 2017 - 12:27 AM.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

An addition to my prior post:

Not new and still new

Let's be honest: Godlikes aren't a new idea and the Aumana could be orcs, for all we care. But  that isn't a bad things. Stories are build around archetypes, all of fiction basically is. The little details make a world alive. 

For example: I like the World of Dragon Age, but it took me until the second part to really get IN the world. Some of the big themes were revealed, but most of them didn't get any depth (and you could turn the whole "Urn of Andraste" - Quest into the Mainstory!). Pillars did this better. We learned right from the start, that the game will be about reincarnation and souls and which role they take in society. This is still a world with Elves and Dwarves, but everyone has build their society around this concepts and it is revealed how the common person lives with this, not only adventurers. This is how you deepen a fantasyworld. You don't need to invent a lot new slang or weird cultures, you just have to show how it's people "live" in this world. And the Republics seem to be nice enough place to live in (except the slavery, but hey, they will learn the advantages of corporate slaves, I mean paid workers, soon enough^^).

Edited by Harry Easter, 12 June 2017 - 12:57 PM.

• Wormerine likes this

Baron Pampa

Baron Pampa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 76 posts

The thing I liked most in PoE is the theme of dealing with uncertainty in things that matter to us. 

• Harry Easter, JerekKruger and dukeisaac like this

Androoh

Androoh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 35 posts

I quite liked the concept of awakened souls (souls that can recall past lives).

In the case of Aloth, I always felt more should have been explored with Iselmyr to make her presence within him a platform to explore Watcher powers etc.

Perhaps like in Mask of the Betrayer where you can enter peoples dreams with Gan, perhaps the Watcher can do this too?

Would be good if the Watcher could solve some quest by entering scenes from a past life - perhaps a quest for Aloth could be resolved this way - with the Watcher getting to see what Iselmyr looks like.

• Harry Easter likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1819 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm gonna be controversial: I didn't care for or against the 'colonial' themes much.  I mean, ship sailing and actual setting up colonies I like, but the conflicts between natives and colonials, colonial independence etc I can take it or leave it to be honest.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I'm gonna be controversial: I didn't care for or against the 'colonial' themes much.  I mean, ship sailing and actual setting up colonies I like, but the conflicts between natives and colonials, colonial independence etc I can take it or leave it to be honest.

Good to know, but what aspects of the narrative ARE you caring about?

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1819 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Good to know, but what aspects of the narrative ARE you caring about?

Sailing, exploration, Renaissance, animancy, gods, all sorts.  I enjoyed most of the themes in Pillars 1, just didn't particularly care for the colonialism part really could take it or leave it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: narratives, themes, world, story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users