Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

POE 2 Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mounted combat in an isometric auto-attack game will change nothing imo.

Fantasy games are all about the variety. Mounted combat would add new tactics, new weapons, and new combinations of opponents.

• Androoh and Bill Gates' Son like this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1522 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fantasy games are all about the variety. Mounted combat would add new tactics, new weapons, and new combinations of opponents.

That would have been exciting in an action game. Now it's an auto-combat game. Being on a mount will give you + defense, + offence, maybe restrict you from some weapon, give you a couple extra, restrict you from using some abilities give you a few other abilities... ok doesen't sound that exciting to me. Like you could use a modal ability or something.

• Sonntam likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That would have been exciting in an action game. Now it's an auto-combat game. Being on a mount will give you + defense, + offence, maybe restrict you from some weapon, give you a couple extra, restrict you from using some abilities give you a few other abilities... ok doesen't sound that exciting to me. Like you could use a modal ability or something.

+++fantasy atmosphere

But yeah, given your particular tastes it's probably not that interesting.

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 529 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That would have been exciting in an action game. 

Action games' mounted combat is mostly awful, especially if you're using a melee weapon on a horse. Although it sounds fantastic I wouldn't know how they'd fit it in a game like this; for starters the maps would have to be considerably bigger and maybe more enemies would be needed on screen at any given time to justify it, not to mention all the additional abilities, animations and BALANCING it. Also mounting/dismounting for all the party members could be tedious if you have to do it frequently...yeah it would clash with exploration big time.

Mounted combat could be added to a game like Expeditions: Conquistador more easily where you enter maps only for combat.

ed:

Btw. Larian just announced DOS2's ship-base and relationship system :) I think this is good for PoE 2, Obs would need to try to top what Larian did in those areas :D

Edited by Quillon, 24 May 2017 - 09:01 AM.

• illathid and Sonntam like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd be happy to just see the occasional mounted soldier as an environmental asset. It wouldn't need to involve combat.

• Bill Gates' Son and Messier-31 like this

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The game needs mounted dwarves.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1522 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There could be mounted opponents that count as a single unit. That'll be cool but won't be "mounted combat". And it doesen't have to imo.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There could be mounted opponents that count as a single unit. That'll be cool but won't be "mounted combat". And it doesen't have to imo.

It would if the rider could dismount (or be dismounted) and fight separately.

DrTomT18

DrTomT18

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Steam:dr_tom_t18
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

More gun options might be cool.

How about a really strong character can use a cannon as a gun

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not necessarily, but even at a base level you could have a unit with different abilities mounted and unmounted.  That could create a fun combat decision, especially if you could charm the mount separately from the rider.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I could see Ogres carrying light cannons. The game stats gives them decent Int, so an Ogre civilization could potentially learn to build and use them.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1522 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

lol like how strong? :D
A cannon needs at least two to operate and drag it, let alone lift it.

They could use more gun option, though it'll require them to derrail from the real life historical weaponry and make some fantasy ones; which is ok by me :)

Edited by Sedrefilos, 25 May 2017 - 01:11 PM.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I could see Ogres carrying light cannons. The game stats gives them decent Int, so an Ogre civilization could potentially learn to build and use them.

They already do in WM.  Ogres can't be a character cause it ****s with doorways.  But lore says an Ogre civ would be unsustainable.  It would only last as long as the leader.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Typical Ogre discrimination. Did Dreamworks teach us nothing?

Wormerine

Wormerine

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't we have mounted units in Icewind Dale2? I remember goblins were riding some kind of wolves, and if you killed wolf the goblin would still fight as regular goblin unit.

I don't see much reason for a horse, when you already have ship, but it might be an interesting idea for future.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Didn't we have mounted units in Icewind Dale2? I remember goblins were riding some kind of wolves, and if you killed wolf the goblin would still fight as regular goblin unit.

I don't see much reason for a horse, when you already have ship, but it might be an interesting idea for future.

If the islands were sufficiently large, horses would make sense as farm animals and for towing wagons. But it might be interesting to have a unique mount type rather than a horse. Maybe a domesticated giant beetle?

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If the islands were sufficiently large, horses would make sense as farm animals and for towing wagons. But it might be interesting to have a unique mount type rather than a horse. Maybe a domesticated giant beetle?

A seahorse.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A seahorse.

Battling giant scorpion-lobster (slobions?) mounts could be epic.

smjjames

smjjames

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A seahorse.

Battling giant scorpion-lobster (slobions?) mounts could be epic.

You mean Sea Scorpions, some species grew pretty big.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How about a mythical moving island that is the subject of wild tavern rumors? There are even those who claim to have visited it, and will tell you of the strange beings who dwell therein for the price of a few pints of ale. Who knows whether they are telling the truth or not though? While at sea, the party will occasionally find an region of impenetrable storms that shifts from place to place. Perhaps the mythical island is located therein?

• dukeisaac likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users