Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

POE 2 Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't know if they're the same team that worked on Tyranny (probably not), but there are certainly lots of UI enhancements that can be learned from there.

I know a few people from Tyranny are working on Deadfire, most notably a couple of the lead writers. I know they're implementing a couple of UI elements from Tyranny onto Deadfire, but we'll see how much. That said I personally was not too keen on the 3D portraits, much prefer a more traditional aesthetic for them.

• GuyNice and White Andromeda like this

blotter

blotter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Knight weapon group needs another weapon, it's the only weapon group with 4 weapons while the others have 5.

Weapon groups aren't a thing anymore. The current plan is for there to be weapon proficiencies for individual weapons which won't raise accuracy but will provide additional options for using them (previously mentioned examples include a savage attack modal for greatswords, a vulnerable attack modal for estocs, and a modal to wield pistols as clubs, afair; see https://www.reddit.c..._1h05m/dd867io/ for details).

One thing I'd like to see is the introduction of faction antipathy-based quest talents (similar to Faction wrath-based abilities in Tyranny) for those moments when you really and truly screw over one faction or another.

I'd also like to see reputations that aren't necessarily tied to disposition or faction/town relationships. For example, you might become infamous as a poisoner if you use lots of it in combat (especially in cities, where the corpses you leave behind are more likely to be seen/studied), a despoiler of Engwythan ruins, a pyromaniac if you use lots of fire spells/explosives, a habitual drug user (particularly since we have a subclass that is defined by its drug use), a trafficker/liberator of slaves, etc. Such reputations could probably be binary as opposed to ranked and may be niche enough to not require too much in terms of reactivity throughout the game while still adding a bit of spice to particular quests/interactions.

The game should also address potential hazards or implications of the Watcher's glimpses into others' lives a bit more. There are several instances where the narrative suggest that you're oblivious to the living world while you're experiencing more involved flashbacks of others' lives, but this always occurs during moments where you've yet to encounter or have more or less resolved any nearby threats; if the Watcher's as out of it as he/she seems during these moments, it seems like a waste not to get some tension out it at least once (maybe tie it to a Perception/Resolve check to see if you can effectively respond in the grip of a vision or something).

• anameforobsidian, dukeisaac, Baltic and 1 other like this

smjjames

smjjames

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts

The ability to rest until a specific part of the day, like dawn, noon, dust, or midnight.

Given that they said that they're going to have lots more time-of-day contextual stuff, this would be very useful, important even. I forget what Fig update it was, but it was one of them where they said that they were giving more options for varied interactions like waiting until your target comes out for a smoke break or something, for example.

Theres already a few time-of-day contextual stuff in PoE1, the tides, one particlular ruin, Fishery workers being at work or not, and some other less notable ones.

Edited by smjjames, 01 May 2017 - 07:38 AM.

Wormerine

Wormerine

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't know if they're the same team that worked on Tyranny (probably not), but there are certainly lots of UI enhancements that can be learned from there.

I know a few people from Tyranny are working on Deadfire, most notably a couple of the lead writers. I know they're implementing a couple of UI elements from Tyranny onto Deadfire, but we'll see how much. That said I personally was not too keen on the 3D portraits, much prefer a more traditional aesthetic for them.

They are working on new UI, but how much it will differ from original PoE remains to be seen. The conversations will use simpler water color portraits for all characters. 

smjjames

smjjames

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts

They are working on new UI, but how much it will differ from original PoE remains to be seen. The conversations will use simpler water color portraits for all characters. 

I'm fine with that, it was just a thought that I had. It's also less work for them to do considering how many more important NPCs there will be in PoE2 compared to Tyranny.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1212 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm 100% sure that using 3D model close-ups in conversations is going to be much much much easier, cheaper and faster to implement, but nostalgia is in the way :p

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm 100% sure that using 3D model close-ups in conversations is going to be much much much easier, cheaper and faster to implement, but nostalgia is in the way :p

It's not nostalgia, it's just aesthetics. The 3D portraits for Tyranny were very jarring, the poses exaggerated and unnatural, applied to every character in the same manner regardless of their personality or position; moreover, the renders just seemed very primitive and of poor quality. Traditional portraits worked much better in the first Pillars by comparison, and also fit the overall tone and design of the Renaissance-based isometric setting than the more artificial renders would.

Really though, people ought to stop chalking everything up to "nostalgia". By this definition the only reason why anyone would have a preference for a game aesthetic that isn't that of a AAA FPS/TPS is because of "nostalgia". Especially in the realms of art and aesthetics, new isn't always better.

Edited by algroth, 01 May 2017 - 04:40 PM.

• gogocactus, tinysalamander, dukeisaac and 2 others like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Knight weapon group needs another weapon, it's the only weapon group with 4 weapons while the others have 5.

The extra weapon would probably be a lance, if there was mounted combat. Many of the extra weapons are a second ranged weapon, so I'm not sure the Knight is missing much.

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like to see half-races. Half-Elf, half-Orlan, etc.

blotter

blotter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The lore already indicates that half-races aren't a possibility in Eora (for a source on that, search for "half races" in this old gamebanshee interview with Sawyer: http://www.gamebansh...-round-up.html). Subracial mixes are an established possibility as per Xoti, though.

Edited by blotter, 01 May 2017 - 12:02 PM.

• rjshae likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Perhaps a little-known fact: godlike actually can reproduce, but only with certain divine spirits drawn from the native plane of their originating god. The result of their procreation is a multi-planar creature possessing unique abilities and motivations. Few god-like beings ever achieve this, or even know of it. But of those that do, their child is likely to be an exceptional creation.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There could be orphanages for god-like children where the abandoned infants are raised by understanding and supportive godlike adults. They may even grow up to live in an island commune of godlikes, dedicated to mutual protection.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The lore already indicates that half-races aren't a possibility in Eora (for a source on that, search for "half races" in this old gamebanshee interview with Sawyer: http://www.gamebansh...-round-up.html). Subracial mixes are an established possibility as per Xoti, though.

Yup. I had to dispell some reddit musings people were having a while back.

Perhaps a little-known fact: godlike actually can reproduce, but only with certain divine spirits drawn from the native plane of their originating god. The result of their procreation is a multi-planar creature possessing unique abilities and motivations. Few god-like beings ever achieve this, or even know of it. But of those that do, their child is likely to be an exceptional creation.

Wait what... I don't remember ever encountering this tidbit.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wait what... I don't remember ever encountering this tidbit.

Well it's just a suggestion, not canon.  :cat:

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hmmm...

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Honestly, you could just look at Tyranny for a lot of UI enhancements to steal. I really liked a lot of what they did with that.

One thing not take from Tyranny is numbered ability bar which limits the visible selection of abilities. All abilities visible together & hotkeyable on the fly from PoE ftw.

The ability to rest until a specific part of the day, like dawn, noon, dusk, or midnight.

Ed.: dust => dusk

Sawyer already confirmed that there'll be waiting outside of [8 hours] resting.
  • AndreaColombo likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1688 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The extra weapon would probably be a lance, if there was mounted combat. Many of the extra weapons are a second ranged weapon, so I'm not sure the Knight is missing much.

Mounted combat would be so awesome!

• Androoh likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1615 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In a sailory themed setting? - unlikely.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1212 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mounted combat in an isometric auto-attack game will change nothing imo.

• Wormerine likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1688 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In a sailory themed setting? - unlikely.

Seahorses!

Man-Riding-a-Sea-Horse-24051.jpg

• injurai and Wormerine like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users