Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tim Cain at Reboot Develop 2017 - Building a Better RPG: Seven Mistakes to Avoid

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts

It will differ from game system to game system, because sometimes a "10% increase" means adding 10% to your critical chance (so if your base chance was 5%, it would then be 15% - examples of this would be in Diablo, and as Azdeus just said, World of Warcraft, apparently), and sometimes it means to multiply your base chance (so 5% * 1.1 = 5.5%). Sometimes, games aren't totally clear about what they mean at first glance.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

On the crit chance vs crit damage, after raiding in WoW where they had both, I'd have to say I really never thought about the increased crit damage as much as I noticed the increase in crit chance. Going from 10% to 20% crit chance was really noticeable, but my strikes going from ~5k to 5.5k wasn't really worth noticing.

I'm weird I guess.

That's not weird, that's the way class abilities and gear synergizes with critical strike/heal chance (or other stats). WoW and a lot of other game systems (not necessarily only in MMORPGs) activate special abilities, buffs or debuffs on critical hits. When you have a case of increased critical strike chance being demonstrably superior to pure increased critical effect on the same scale then you're going to notice it much more.

Especially if the game in question gives you interesting feedback about it. If you have a cool ability that can only be used every third critical strike you'd probably notice more crits rather than larger ones in a much more satisfying manner.

If you don't and all crits really are is bigger numbers on the screen a few of them being much bigger will be much more memorable than a few more being smaller.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1859 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

• Labadal likes this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4480 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I guess you could say Infinitron rebooted this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users