Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Steam Haven

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5362 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just in case anybody is wondering, the Steam Gfted1 url IS in fact for sale to the highest bidder*.

*Bidders must meet the reserve.

• SadExchange likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2314 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There's likely to be 5000 (!) games released on Steam this year. That's nearly 15/ day, or GOG's entire catalogue every 4 months.

I suspect the number of worthwhile titles has not quite seen the same inflation.

• Bartimaeus likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Steam has been impressing me lately, much more so than any other format at least. Seems like it's getting less garbage games that everyone talks about and games that actually matter. I love that. Cuphead coming in September, Sonic Forces in November and who knows what else we'll get before the year's over :)

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2497 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There's likely to be 5000 (!) games released on Steam this year. That's nearly 15/ day, or GOG's entire catalogue every 4 months.

I suspect the number of worthwhile titles has not quite seen the same inflation.

tumblr_nl5b80g2fi1upab0ho4_r1_400.gif

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Yeah, it's a steaming pile of trash, as per the Valve/Steam trend over the past 5 years or so.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
How do you know? Have you tried the thousands of games yourself in order for you to come to that conclusion? Or is this the same old "We hate Steam and it's greenlight brigade!"

Let's face it, Steam will always have the gems that will never come to Origin, GoG or whatever the other one's called.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The reason I asked is because GoG users are always flooding Steam's forums begging for devs to release their games. So I know that there is some jealousy floating about, not saying from anyone here personally. Just in general on the net.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3343 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I bought exactly 3 games and 2 DLC bundles on Steam in 2017. I felt zero interest in having anything else than these. I can't imagine how painful it must be to slog through these 5k titles in the Steam shop.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm just not sure how that validates anyone to an opinion if the games are worth playing or not lol I understand that the majority of users here widely favor GoG over Steam, this is why I favor Steam over GoG and Origin. I am experienced enough to have found some truly hidden gems.

Of course nonody has time to test out thousands of games but that's not it, it's more like people are blindly saying "I'd rather have a few good games on GoG than thousands of crap games on Steam" not because it's true but because GoG lacks support which GoG users are desperate enough to be in every game hub on Steam begging for devs to release their products on GoG. That proves to me that they're not crap and at least some value or there would be no point of making such a statement without playing them :)

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think the GoG support you see from posters around here is primarily based in GoG's lack of DRM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5084 posts

How do you know? Have you tried the thousands of games yourself in order for you to come to that conclusion? Or is this the same old "We hate Steam and it's greenlight brigade!"

Let's face it, Steam will always have the gems that will never come to Origin, GoG or whatever the other one's called.

See, I don't need to slide needles under my fingernails to know that it hurts like a bitch, your comments to the contrary notwithstanding.

A significant fraction of those 5k releases will likely be shovelware, and your listing of a full two titles "that actually matter" doesn't change that one bit. Even if a thousand of those turn out to be good, you'd still end up with an 80% trash ratio.

GOG is starting to go that route as well, since they haven't restricted their catalog to "Old" games for a while, and it's debatable whether they were ever strict in adhering to "Good". An online storefront called simply "Games" just doesn't pack the same punch, I guess.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Lexx

Lexx

• Members
  • 3343 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have bought exactly 0 games on GoG in 2017. :shrugz:

Most of the stuff released on Steam nowadays is simply trash. Just take a look at all these identical MMOs who all just look a bit different. Or all these identical open world sandbox survival games. I'm not saying they shouldn't be on Steam or whatever... I really don't care, because I don't bother with them... Just saying that there is rarely anything interesting going on as of now.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Here's the thing though, while I don't expect anyone here to take me seriously for the obvious reasons that most users here on this forum are pro-GoG and anti-Steam, also the fact that some of the users here may be older which in case love GoG as it features "classics" from the 90's golden age of gaming by comparison Steam is modern/flashy and for kids :p

Greenlight has shut down months ago so there has been far less shovelware or even Rpgmaker games made by kids but over the last 5 years yes, definitely a mix of great indie titles and absolutely horrid ones. Still, would rather have a platform which enables/encourages new devs rather than restrict them. If GoG starts doing this instead of being greedy then I will definitely switch!

Honestly, I don't expect anything I say to change anybody's minds here but I will say that if these games were to "suddenly" come to GoG, then most likely nobody here would be saying anything negative. I say this only because we've seen GoG get plenty of horrible "classics" but that's okay because that's helping the GoG/DRM-free community out. Maybe I'll prefer GoG someday, who knows, the way GoG is currently run is unappealing to me at best. If major changes are made whilst keeping the Drm-free cause then I may consider switching.

Lexx

Lexx

• Members
  • 3343 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Eh, what's the deal with your fixation on "pro-GoG" and "anti-Steam" ... As far as I am aware, nobody except you mentions this stuff? Based on my experience, there is no such conflict going on here.

Edited by Lexx, 11 September 2017 - 11:22 AM.

• Bartimaeus likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
People on this forum have admitted they hate Steam in past threads lol shouting how they will/would never use it, for different reasons.

There are people here who have made a fuss and knocked anything small about anything that has to do with Steam down to the trading cards or leveling up on profiles.

The pro-GoG means they are for GoG, against DRM formats
The Anti-Steam means they do not support/like Steam

The same cult-movement I see on here, I've seen on other forums. It's okay, it doesn't bother me nor is there anything wrong with it. It just is what it is. I say it all though with respect as its not meant as an insult.

Edit: I should add that I do like GoG so I am pro-GoG but also pro-Steam. I just prefer Steam for what it's doing for the industry.

Edited by SonicMage117, 11 September 2017 - 11:41 AM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Eh, what's the deal with your fixation on "pro-GoG" and "anti-Steam" ... As far as I am aware, nobody except you mentions this stuff? Based on my experience, there is no such conflict going on here.

Circa 2011, I was pretty happy with Steam and optimistic about its and Valve's futures. Lots of cool new futures, lots of pushing the industry and the markets with new innovations. There wasn't really a foreseeable future with Steam where things were going to be DRM-free, but oh well, you don't win every battle, and it wasn't one I ever expected anyways. My opinion on Steam and Valve have been in a slow decline since then, and at this point, I've been looking for a sign, any sign, that the Valve of old still exist. All I can see now is a company that only ever half-finishes ideas and features, takes literal years to fix bugs in their client, seems to have mostly abandoned making original games (and the creative process in general) in favor of either buying out other people's work and running with it (note: this isn't that new for them and it isn't limited to just their game development, either) or essentially never finishing anything at all because of their clearly now-dysfunctional company structure. They seem like a company that's in an extremely unique position to do some really great things in the video game industry, with near virtually unlimited resources...and yet, they just seem listless and directionless, always spreading themselves too thin over too many projects of wildly different designs and purposes that never quite seem to actually get finished, and so the only thing they really seem to care about anymore is raking in more money off of their incredible market position, and the utterly awful Steam Direct that is flooding Steam with an ever-increasing amount of utter garbage and shovelware is just symptomatic of whatever disease Valve seems to have contracted sometime within the late 0s/early 10s.

At this rate, I can't see my opinion of Valve and Steam improving: I can only hope that it doesn't get any worse - I'm not quite at "hatred", but rather just strong dissatisfaction, I guess. The biggest thing that I use Steam for these days is Steam Friends, for keeping in easy contact with my gaming friends: I only buy just a few indie games a year, and presently shy away from buying anything on it when I can. If I can instead buy from/pay directly the developer instead of giving any more money to Valve's obscene dragon's horde, I do. I'm not that big on GoG either, to be honest: Valve has taught me not to invest my money or time in these kinds of companies anymore, just as a rule of thumb in avoiding disappointment in yet another group of people or company succumbing entirely to greed. So I prefer to only give my money directly for the development efforts that I like, and nothing more.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 11 September 2017 - 12:13 PM.

• ShadySands and injurai like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8604 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Steam used to run like garbage and had a completely botched offline mode. It seems to be much better now. 

edit: I originally used borked instead of botched, but after research, it did not quite mean what I thought it did. You learn something new every day!

Edited by Hurlshot, 11 September 2017 - 12:53 PM.

• SadExchange likes this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I say this only because we've seen GoG get plenty of horrible "classics" but that's okay because that's helping the GoG/DRM-free community out. Maybe I'll prefer GoG someday, who knows, the way GoG is currently run is unappealing to me at best. If major changes are made whilst keeping the Drm-free cause then I may consider switching.

So what horrible classics have you seen on GOG? Except Master of Orion 3 maybe, but that's arguably neither a classic nor truly horrible in the way a Ruins of Myth Drannor is. *shrug*

Edited by majestic, 11 September 2017 - 12:58 PM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
As I said before, doesn't really matter what I say here (on this specific forum).

If I were to name any games in which my opinion or judgment were horrible "classics" then someone can argue and say it's all about tastes or opinion, fighting the inevitable... which was exactly my point in my original comment about judging thousands of games before playing them.

Of course difference being that I've played the games of which I have formed an opinion on. Which can be either a huge factor or a discarded memory depending on the reader.

It's easy but also extremely faulty to judge games this year on past years of productivity when nobody here has played them, I guess that's all I was saying.

https://www.gog.com/...g_bad_old_games

Now I definitely wouldn't be able to take anyone who says "The reviews are good on GoG so it has to be good" because the reviewers on GoG are no different than the reviewers on Steam, extremely biased and indifferent. In fact, since the games on GoG are so limited in catalogue, I'm gonna say that GoG users are even more biased to give positive reviews than what's on Steam. Just saying :-L

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As I said before, doesn't really matter what I say here (on this specific forum).

If I were to name any games in which my opinion or judgment were horrible "classics" then someone can argue and say it's all about tastes or opinion, fighting the inevitable... which was exactly my point in my original comment about judging thousands of games before playing them.

Of course difference being that I've played the games of which I have formed an opinion on. Which can be either a huge factor or a discarded memory depending on the reader.

It's easy but also extremely faulty to judge games this year on past years of productivity when nobody here has played them, I guess that's all I was saying.

https://www.gog.com/...g_bad_old_games

Now I definitely wouldn't be able to take anyone who says "The reviews are good on GoG so it has to be good" because the reviewers on GoG are no different than the reviewers on Steam, extremely biased and indifferent. In fact, since the games on GoG are so limited in catalogue, I'm gonna say that GoG users are even more biased to give positive reviews than what's on Steam. Just saying :-L

Your honor, I rest my case. No need for even a closing statement here. :banghead:

• Bartimaeus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users