They could just as easily provide a talent that flips the magic Attribute dependencies for damage and AoE; a high Int, low Mig caster can cast a tiny but intense fireball.

Physical damage, of course, would stay with Mig.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I do sure hope he walked into a bunch of writers offices and was like, "Look here, these ****ers have been bitching about might since you **** ****ed up the scripted interactions in the first game. I another wizard is forced to bend iron bars with his "might", it's bread and water for a week!"

• Like 3

Leave those poor writers alone. It's not as easy as just including a conditional: If might and fighter – Beat the guy to death. If might and wizard – Burn the guy to death.

What if I want to beat the guy to death with my muscle wizard?

---

We're all doomed

Leave those poor writers alone. It's not as easy as just including a conditional: If might and fighter – Beat the guy to death. If might and wizard – Burn the guy to death.

It *is* as simple as including both "burn to death" and "beat to death" options and just letting the player choose the one that fits their character, however! After all, I can have the guy with 8 Might try to bend those bars, can't I? Why can't I have the guy with no magic try to cast a spell?

It *is* as simple as including both "burn to death" and "beat to death" options and just letting the player choose the one that fits their character, however! After all, I can have the guy with 8 Might try to bend those bars, can't I? Why can't I have the guy with no magic try to cast a spell?

Cant anyone cast from Scrolls?

It is based on your lore isn't it?  That said, I'd imagine that a [might] [lore] [scroll-in-inventory] check is getting a bit silly.

"Pardon me while I pull this scroll out, so that I may surprise you with a mighty burn".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It is based on your lore isn't it?  That said, I'd imagine that a [might] [lore] [scroll-in-inventory] check is getting a bit silly.

"Pardon me while I pull this scroll out, so that I may surprise you with a mighty burn".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYlDbv7MqE8

• Like 1

To be fair as soon as you start including magic in conversation checks it does get a little weird. I mean, why can't a Level 1 Might 3 wizard or druid intimidate anyone? They can still summon fire, lightning and the like to their hands.

Edited by Baltic

Why can't I have the guy with no magic try to cast a spell?

OK, this can be the ultimate troll design! Have all spells available for all characters and let them try cast them only to fizzle and gain a "red head" debuff :p

Yes! Because players can't be trusted to understand that their fighter/rogue/barbarian can't cast, so you should totally expect that everybody will be totally fooled and will constantly be unaware of who to pick to cast a spell! It'll be HILARIOUS!

They should move away from attribute checks and more towards skill and class/ability checks.

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well technically, if we're going lorewise, fighters, rogues etc. can cast spells. :)

From scrolls, yes. And they can use their soul-power to do strikes, but they can't cast actual spells from their own power, because they don't have the training to know how to do so.

Now I've got an image in my head like those movies where everyone stands in a circle holding a gun on one another, only with people holding magical scrolls.

"Put the scroll down!"

"You put YOUR scroll down!"

"Nobody move or I'm reading this scroll...and I'm a trained speed reader!"

"On the count of three, lets all put our scrolls down and talk this over like mature adults."

"Dangnabit Jethro, you can't dual wield scrolls, you just look stupid, you can't read either one and you're not covering anybody..."

etc.

• Like 9

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They should move away from attribute checks and more towards skill and class/ability checks.

They should use whatever makes the most sense for the circumstances.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The only thing about the whole might thing that was strange was that it was kinda treated like strength in the interactions, so my Wizard for whom I pumped might through the roof, so that those fireball really hurt, could also lift very heavy stuff, push down walls etc with his bare hands. 

The only thing about the whole might thing that was strange was that it was kinda treated like strength in the interactions, so my Wizard for whom I pumped might through the roof, so that those fireball really hurt, could also lift very heavy stuff, push down walls etc with his bare hands. 

You channel all your fireball rage into fists. Also helps with not killing everyone else around you :cat:

Pillars of Bugothas

• 5 months later...

Josh answered someone's question on Tumblr about why they won't split Might into physical and non-physical strength, so I'm assuming the spread will remain overall the same. Their exact effects might change. In fact, I certainly hope they do, since in Pillars they're not quite balanced with one another.